Question about a particular buck bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Silence

Question about a particular buck bed

Unread postby The Silence » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:01 am

I got out while there was still snow on the ground several weeks ago and found a great set of large beds situated in a small clump of cedars
on the leeward side of a ridge with a dead fall directly behind the clump of cedars. It was a perfect place to get out of the cold NW winds. In the
center of the beds was a great rub on a 4"-6" diameter tree. The beds were recently made since they were melted down to the leaves below.
My question has to do with the rub: I'm assuming he made the rub earlier in the season when making rubs were going on -- which would mean he was
using this bedding area earlier in the season as well. Should I assume then that this may very well be a primary bed for various times of the year?
Just wondering what you guys think?

freezeAR
500 Club

Re: Question about a particular buck bed

Unread postby freezeAR » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:18 am

If I found a situation like you described I would be interested in a couple of more pieces of the puzzle. If the fresh bed was large and I found large tracks that would tell me a good buck is living there now. As for the rub, if the rub was high on the tree I would be inclined to think the same buck used it throughout the season. If the rub was not high I could make a case for smaller bucks bedding there during rut and maybe the bigger buck waited until cover was gone to move in.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:19 pm

NW winds will be a chance for him to bed there relatively safe. So any day during hunting season could be the right day for you. With that NW wind.
I agree with you that the rubbing helps show the time of year he was there. Finding those clues can help narrow down the BEST TIME to sneak in for a chance.
Guys here suggest to hit a spot 3 times, early, rut and late. But lining those up with the correct wind and your personal schedule can be tough.
It should be good from your description so give it enough time to have a chance at whoever lives there.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:29 pm

It certainly could be primary. If a bedding area works for a NW wind it often ( with a small adjustment by the buck ) works for a SW and West wind....and sometimes a direct South wind depending on the hill layout and cover.

It's probably not primary (just on the odds) but throw some hunts and a camera at it and find out.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Leeward side of what you described means he was facing South, which also often means more warming sun rays in cold weather as well. I’ve seen a few spots like that this winter in new areas to me. I’m thinking they will just be winter cold-weather bed locations, but I might wrong at least in my situation. That’s what went through my mind when I saw a very similar scenario.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”