Q&A with muddy

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Q&A with muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:32 am

I must admit that when Lockdown messaged me to "please be ready" I was a little surprised, but I still managed to get scrape something up over a week. A quick background on myself... I'm 42 years old and have been a stay at home dad for almost 11 years. Before that I worked for the Iowa DNR in the Fisheries division for nearly 15 years. That being said hunting has been a part of my life 35 years.

Let's get this started, I hope it does not disappoint, commas and semi colons are not my strong suit!

1) In detail, describe your hunting style.

I am mostly a hardcore rut hunter. I concentrate most of my efforts on the peak rut simply because I dont have the time to hunt early season. The years that I tried to hunt early October I always burned myself, and my spots out. Now I use October for observation stands, trail cam placement over mock scrape/grape vines, and mentally preparing myself for season.

I like to use observation stands over destination feeding areas or else to watch, from afar, transition areas that are hard to access without spooking deer. I do long distance observing when I don't have time to sit past dark. Every detail is mentally logged and I use that info for when time comes to move in and set up. I also use observation set ups in late season when I have multiple destination food sources, multiple bedding areas, and multiple targets to get after. I have successfully killed 4 good bucks in Oct/Nov using observation techniques and 1 good buck late season using them. Here they are

I also enjoy spot and stalking deer in the right conditions, and they must be perfect. Either high wind, heavy snowstorm, or a combination of each. The high wind takes away their ability to hear me coming. High wind also severely inhibits their eyesight with all the extra movement. Snow basically makes them dang near blind to your approach if you're doing it smart. The key for this type of hunting is going slow. I always tell myself that if I'm going slow, I need to go slower. It is not unusual for me to glass, take half a step sideways, glass some more, then repeat that several more times before I actually take a few steps forward... then I do that all over again. I only do this during rut and lock down phase also... bucks are stupid this time of year and if you can ridiculously close to them if they're tending a doe. I have passed up dozens of good 120-140" bucks at 10-30 yards with the bow and many more with the gun during late season. I have never spot/stalked/killed a deer with the bow, but have killed 3 very good bucks with the gun doing this technique. Here they are.

Lastly I do have set stands for bow hunting and also enjoy light deer pushes during fun gun seasons with buddies. My last few big bucks were taken by going mobile with a LW set up. It has been a few years since I killed out of a set stand.

2) What do you feel are the biggest keys to your success?

Well, I live in Iowa, it's a huge advantage over a lot of guys! That being said it takes some doing to knock down mature bucks every year. My main areas are lower pressure, but I do share them with other guys. Also the landowners are very active cutting logs, riding horses, checking cattle. etc. I try to hunt on days that I know they wont be out and about. I am very OCD in my preparation, both in the off season as well as during season. I often tell myself, "Plan to execute, then execute that plan"

I try hunt very smart and I don't cut corners. When I'm going to my stands I will walk 100 yards out of my way in order not to leave scent in areas that deer will come from, walk around trails, not on then. I never hunt a place on the wrong wind,unless thermals are taking care of the issue. My equipment is taken care of... I inspect my bow and arrows EVERY hunt. Once at the truck and again after I get knocked up in the stand.

I am also very dedicated to my personal goals. It makes me very stubborn when in the tree. If a buck isnt of a certain age class, horn size, or mouth dropping holy crap reaction I wont even stand up usually. A buddy once told me "you can't kill a 140 if you kill every 120, you cant kill a 170 if you kill all the 150s, and you'll never kill a 200 if you only kill 170s" Yeah, he was arrogant but he's also killed more 180+ bucks than anyone I know. Thst dude is stone cold serious about big deer.

I have gotten to a point in my life that even though I want to kill a giant, i know my life will go on if I dont. I've been fortunate in the fact I've knocked some pretty nice deer down, and the only person I'm in competition with is myself. A safe boring hunt is great, I can still hang with the family later.

In stand I am very cognizant of how I'm set up. I rarely sit down and I'm constantly either holding my bow, or have my hand on the grip. Big bucks are masters of "ghosting" in on you and you gotta be ready. Whenever I have a deer under me I always mentally go thru my shot placement checklist, even on non target deer. Knowing a deers anatomy at all angles has killed my last 4 bucks. You gotta know what that arrow is going to cut going thru and adjust aiming accordingly. Examples... 4 years ago a buck was quartered towards me, hugged that shoulder and took out lung,liver, and stomach. Found in bed next morning. 2 years ago, vary steep down and away shot, had to hold low and go for a heart shot, bingo, went 45 yards. Last year my bucks back half was straight on towards me, his front end twisting to the right at a 90° angle, when he moved that left leg forward I shot him right thru the heart. Gotta take that 1st good shot and make due on it. Know your quarrys anatomy, practice weird shots, know your limitations.

So... that boils down to hunting smart, properly preparing (mentally and physically) and having realistic goals to work towards and sticking to them. It also helps that I'm not afraid to change things up by being mobile. I might have a specific spot that hunts best on a N wind. If things dry up I will consciously look for a tree to set up in the same area but on a S or W wind and move 50-75 yards accordingly. Might not be "perfect" but tweaking a set up like this is a smart thing to do when the going gets rough. That "adapt and overcome" attitude has killed a few bucks.

To ramble a bit I am also keenly aware of my surroundings once I leave the vehicle until I get back to the vehicle. A good buck can, and has, show up at any time. Keeping my head on a swivel and moving slowly is paramount to being successful. Even if I don't kill one walking in I'm always ready. Being always ready also allows a guy to notice little details on his property that may lead to a kill later. Browse marks in leaves,a new transition area over acorns? Scuffed leaves may show chasing tracks, a hot doe may be in the area? Turn around and check your back trail, m you may miss seeing that rub if you don't turn around and it'll be in the dark when you walk back out.

I also feel I am more mentally prepared than the average hunter. Not so much stubborn, but a mixture of confidence and know how. I know that every place I hunt can produce a giant IF I play my cards right. My mind is always in the game.

Pay attention to details, all of them are important.

3) Which terrain types do you have available to you, which do you prefer to hunt, and why?

I hunt mostly rolling hills. Usually each place has some sort of farming practice going on for the most part and there are sprawling timber drainages and fingers. One place is a working horse far
that has thick draws and some CRP. Another is crops surrounding a couple islands of timber. Another is crops with timber fingers then cattle thrown in after crops come out... I hate that. You get the idea, easy rolling farmland.

I prefer that terrain, its what I'm most comfortable hunting. We dont have big hills like Wisconsin, big woods like Minnesota, or prairie stuff like Kansas. There are large marshes and swamps near me, but I admittedly have said before I'm VERY intimidated by them. I fell thru the ice while trapping in High School so I really try to avoid places that in 1 step I could start the drowning/hypothermia process. If anyone wants pointed in the direction of a couple GIANT marsh/swamps here in Iowa let me know.

4) What advice would you give to someone who is just starting out with Beast tactics?

Get Dan's DVDs, get active on the forum, ask lots of questions, and don't be afraid of messing up.

5) If you have one, what is your scent control routine?

I play the wind only, it's part of the whole "hunt smarter" routine. I got rid of all my scent control products years ago and now shower with lilac shampoo, mango body wash, and only wash my hunting clothes when they get dirty or bloody.

6) On average, how much time do you spend scouting? Include all seasons applicable: winter, spring, summer, and in-season

I cant put a number on that. I'm always taking in information whenever I'm out there. Many turkey hunts have been put on hold as I look at a thicket or pinch point. Shed hunting rarely produces sheds so much as stand ideas. In season I really enjoy that slow walk in, eyes always looking for new sign, hot sign, or different opportunities.

7) When hunting bedding areas outside of rut, how close do you typically set up?

In my areas this would likely be counter productive. If I screw up too many times pushing up to a bedding area the deer leave me and end up on another property that I cannot hunt. Personally I dont have the patience to hunt Dan's way, it will burn me out. You guys that hunt specific beds have my respect.

8) When scouting, what amount or what kind of sign tells you a certain bedding area is worth your time?

Balloons.

I jest.

I look for south facing slopes first. These slopes are ALWAYS the best for retaining deer year round, especially if they have good thermal cover. Once I find a good deer holding slope I pinpoint nearby mast crops that may be good transition areas and early rut kill zones. Next I look for rubs and scrapes obviously. I also like to see terrain features that will allow me to access the area undetected and also allow deer to observe the area and feel secure. I will walk these areas when I feel I can without doing damage and then look for the secondary trails that enter the bedding. Often times the secondary trails hit the predominantly downwind side and tend to be where the bucks are cruising to scent check.

9) Are trail cameras an important part of your success? If they are, please describe the when's, where's, and why's of how you use them. 

I rely very heavily on trail cams simply because, why wouldn't you?? I usually have cams on corn piles all summer and then move them to grape vine scrapes early October. The corn piles are usually in secluded areas of destination food locations. They give me a huge inventory of what's in the area. Very few deer avoid a free meal in my area.

Grape vine scrape/scent posts are a new thing for me... something I wished I had implemented earlier on. Deer simply cannot resist these licking scent posts year round. If you can get the mature does using them (pretty easy) then you're going to get the bucks to cruise by at some point. I don't hunt over cams but can usually see my cams from many of my stands. If you're not using a grape vine scent post on your property I HIGHLY recommend one.

10) Name a few things you used to do in the deer woods that you rarely, if ever, do now.

I used to do the whole scent spray down, now I step on a horse or cow pie or make a mud hole with my boots.

I used to do A LOT of calling. It worked great on younger deer, but mature bucks RARELY come to it.

I used to shine at night. Now I have a family and cover sleep, that's what my trail cams are for.

I used to use deer scents... waste of money when you lay down a scent trail to your scent bomb.

I used to put too much stock in what others thought of me, my kills, and how I did things. Now I just enjoy my time in the field and if a buck drops, cool.

I used to think it was all about me. Now I have kids that want to hunt and that has been a blast watching them pick things up and go with it.

11) Do you prefer morning hunts or evenings? Explain why. Also, is there a time frame during the season that you prefer either one?

I love mornings for their forgiving thermals and frost covered leaves.

I love evenings for the sunsets and "laid back" type of feeling.

I love mid day for that cup of hot soup, a book , and that shocking surprise of a mid day cruiser.

I love all aspects of the hunt, unless it's balls hot, raining hard, or variable winds.

12) What is your favorite time of year to hunt and why? (early season, pre-rut, rut, post-rut, late season)

Like I earlier stated, I prefer rut. There's more action and the temps are cooler. Cool temps put big deer on their feet and landowners in front of their fireplaces. Also, fewer leaves means I can actually see.

13) If you hunt/travel out of state, what is the best advice you can give to those who are new to it?

Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help/pointers on where to go. Some people just have a knack for going somewhere else and getting into game. I'd look into online forums specific to the state and game you're after. There will be a bunch or jackwaggons but you will also find good people who will be willing to help.

14) Is calling an important part of your whitetail tactics? Why or why not?

Not so much anymore. I've had horrible success trying to call in mature bucks. If I do call its usually when I see the buck first and I'm in a location that is conducive to calling. Wind has to be right, somewhere right near me has to be THICK THICK THICK or have a ditch/draw for them to wonder if a deer is hidden there. Open terrain is a no no for calling.

15) What is the #1 thing that you feel you need to improve on?

I would love to be better at cyber scouting and hunting new areas like marsh or swamps. Hearing people tell tales where they can hear a deer approaching and their feet making splashing or sucking sounds in the muck would be intense! Better than the sound in dry leaves that I hear!

16) What is an out of the box tactic that you use and have success with?

Tweaking a set up to suit my current needs. I'm not afraid to get out of a tree, move 100 yards, and hunt off the ground. Cant find a tree for 5 sticks? im Not afraid to hunt 2 sticks up in a bean pole.

17) What was special about your most strategic kill?

Beating a big buck on public land in his core area after 3 years of watching him. This past season ( 2018) I targeted a good deer I'd been watching for 3 years. I used every bit of my hunting skills to locate a new spot to hunt and kill him. Trail cameras were integral at figuring out his movement. Looking at his direction of travel during morning or evening led me to a new stand location. That stand location became a great observation stand thst I passed him in 2017, and killed a big deer out of. Using my gut I waited until perfect conditions, under 30+ mph winds and went in late morning and set up on him only 3 sticks high and killed him. Really I still can't believe how it all worked out.

"Plan to execute, and then execute that plan" , that should be on a shirt or a sticker to be placed on a bow limb.

18) How much emphasis do you put on cyber scouting, and what are the tell tale signs that clue you in on where to scout and hunt?

I do not really cyber scout because I don't really travel to hunt. I'm still a guy that takes a pencil and notebook or map with me into new areas. It is a pretty foreign concept to me.

If I were going to a new state I guess I'd look at/for secluded feeding and transition areas, funnels and areas thst concentrate deer movement. Once to my area I'd scout my way into where I wanted to hunt but have a few ideas in my head on where to go. I wouldn't be afraid to set up on hot sign either.

19) We all get that feeling when we know a kill is about to happen. What is the sign that you know tips the scales in your favor and you know that buck is 
going to die?

I don't count my eggs before they're hatched. Even if I see a buck go down I'm still antsy until I get his guts 6 feet away from his body, detach his heart, and have a beer.

When time is coming for a shot I go into "kill mode", like alot of guys do I suppose. I hook that release and position myself for being able to draw in 3 different locations with simply twisting at the waist. I keep my top limb between my face and the bucks eyes at all times and take the first shot available. I'm always overly cautions and unless I see the deer go down I give them a hour at minimum. I try to "belly breathe" to control myself, and my excitement, and so far it has worked on almost every deer. A few monsters have really rattled me, 2 have died most have gotten away.

20) In season scouting is a hot topic. How important is it to you, and more specifically, how close is too close regarding burning bedding or compromising future hunts?

I try to take different approaches to stand locations when applicable. This allows me to get some scouting in most of my hunts. It really has been awhile since I bagged a day of hunting during the rut to go scout. Windy days are when I scout while spotting and stalking. it's rare that we don't get a few days of scary wind. I'd rather do a slow scouting walk than get motion sick in a tree.

21) Was there a turning point in your hunting style that resulted in greater success with big bucks? If so, what was it compared to what you were doing before?

One day I talked to a farmer about of he had been seeing anything during harvest. He mentioned that the past 4 days he'd been seeing a big buck in a draw when he went to check the field to see if it was dry enough to finish corn. I had just bought a climber and thought that I'd go in and kill that buck. Up until then I only hunted 1 or 2 stands and didnt pay attention to much of anything. For whatever reason I thought "better park smart or he will run" so parked further away than I normally would. At the car I thought "maybe I better walk the long way around", so I did. I got to where i could see up the sparse draw next to that half cut corn and climbed the tree. It was 1 PM in early October. I hadn't been there 40 minute and that buck got up out of his bed 100 yards away and stretched like a dog, he did this 4 more times before finally getting up. Long story short he walked by, I made the shot, and I was a mobile hunter from that day forward. He was my 1st P&Y

22) What are the top 3 things you think people should be doing, and the top 3 NOT to do?
DOs
1) slow down and pay closer attention to everything to/from the stand
2) put together several plans for each season. deer getting killed, losing access, and other issues can happen at any time. always have a safety net
3) have fun and be safe

DONTs
1) dont stare at your phone in stand, be prepared
2) worry about what others do or think, take care of yourself
3) cut corners, work hard and dot all the i's and cross all the lower case t's

23) Do you do pre-season observation sits? How do you recommend doing them either in relatively inaccessible locations (ie not from a truck) or in overlooked spots that you want to remain overlooked? (ie no prying eyes of other hunters)

Each situation is different. Might be a 4 stick set up might be off the ground. Just dont push to hard on the area you're watching. Use common sense.

24) Can you talk about the number of target bucks you have (or have had) per season and what you do to stay focused when conditions aren’t right to hunt your number one?

I try have at last 1 or 2 shooter bucks per property that I'm planning to hunt. If nothing shows on my cameras during the summer or early fall transitional movement then I will likely not hunt that area when other places have 4 legged bullseyes walking around. Last year I had 1 known target buck and I pursued him only. Other years I've had a dozen potential shooters on camera, but those years are long gone since EHD and property loss.

If conditions wont permit me to go after a target buck then I wait until conditions are right. Tagging a buck is secondary to the chase and development of a plan.

25) What is the most consecutive hunts for the same buck have you put together over the shortest period of time and killed it?

This last year I killed my number 1 buck on my first sit for him. It took a few observation sits until I was able to move in on him. In years past I have hunted whole seasons never to even see the buck I had on camera.

26) Is there a buck in your past that beat you? What did that buck teach you that sticks with you today?

There are a handful of bucks that have beaten me. I will go over each one individually because they all had unique lessons I learned.

A) Peter
Peter was a buck I followed for 3 years, but didn't try to kill him until the 3rd year. He was an incredibly visible buck and I passed him dozens of times when he was 3 and 4 years old. I knew where he lived and I didn't go into that area for anything, it was his sanctuary. The last year he was around I saw him 9 times, but could never put an arrow into him. Once he walked by my blind before shooting hours, I could hear him breathing at 3 paces, but wouldn't shoot. Another time I passed a shot for some brush in the way, yet another time I passed a shot because it was low light and he was obscured in CRP grass. I know I could have illegally killed him in the dark that one morning, but that would be lame. I have 4 of his sheds and he just disappeared one winter. His biggest side went 88 inches. Peter taught me that nothing is for certain. A buck can just disappear for no rhyme or reason, and sometimes they're just lucky no matter how much work you put into them. I miss Peter, he was a gorgeous buck and I have thousands of pics of him.

B) TreeShaker
TreeShaker was a buck that randomly showed up on a tree farm that I was hunting. I pulled a camera card and about crapped my pants at the 190" 7x7 on the screen. I spent my entire 2014 season chasing that buck,most of it spent hunting off the ground because this was a tree planting farm where even small trees were hard to find. I saw him twice, never in range, but he was MAGNIFICENT. While hunting the TreeShaker I passed 5 deer over 150 and 1 over 160... all on the ground. TreeShaker taught me that thinking outside of the box is not only possible, but it is how you evolve as a hunter. I never found a shed off him and he never showed up the next 2 years. Since then that farm has been plowed under for the most part. A really crazy set up for sure. My best "stand" was a big pile of dirt covered in ragweed stalks. TreeShaker was the epitome of a smart whitetail. He thrived where he shouldn't have, and he did it very well

C) TheCow
TheCow was a monster typical... 180-190 easy. He showed up one rainy morning out of my dreams. I flubbed the shot because I panicked when he trotted up. Seriously came unglued. I checked cameras that day and found he had been in the area for a week. Had I known he was around I feel I'd have been mentally prepared for a giant of that magnitude.... but maybe not. TheCow taught me that soaking cams is not a good idea. I try to get every cam checked at least once a week just so I can keep an inventory of what deer might be walking around. This goes against what some guys do, but that's just how we all operate I guess.

Ghosts from the past

27) Looking back...

I really love deer and deer hunting, I get attached to bucks and always feel a deep sense of remorse once I'm sitting there staring at a hanging buck drinking a cold one. The journey to each filled tag is different and they all hold so many emotions and details that it's hard to explain to non hunters. Some kills end with hand pumping and a loud "YES" while others are somber affairs where zero words are uttered because of the memories of the journey. I learn new things every year and bow that I'm taking my kids it adds an entirely new element to each trip out there. I'm very thankful, and humbled, that anyone would want me to post my Q&A, I'm just some huckleberry in Iowa that simply loves spending time in the woods chasing whitetails.

27) If you have them handy, provide as many kill pics as you see fit. Details are welcome if you have the time!

The early years...

Not so early years.. .

Getting old...
Last edited by muddy on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:56 am, edited 5 times in total.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
muddy

Re: Q&AQ with muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:39 am

Almost gave up, accidentally deleted the entire thing 2x and threw my phone once.

Thanks to Lockdown and seazofcheese for the help editing, it was a mess last week.

I hope the rest of you enjoy the read and hopefully now know me a little bit better.

muddy

Re: Q&A with muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:04 am

Well crap, I was trying to post 2 last pics regarding my grape vine mock scrapes and got timed out. These should go with #9

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:09 am

muddy wrote:Almost gave up, accidentally deleted the entire thing 2x and threw my phone once.

Thanks to Lockdown and seazofcheese for the help editing, it was a mess last week.

I hope the rest of you enjoy the read and hopefully now know me a little bit better.

I never took you as a mango body wash guy
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:16 am

tbunao wrote:
muddy wrote:Almost gave up, accidentally deleted the entire thing 2x and threw my phone once.

I never took you as a mango body wash guy

Call is soap, call it pixie dist, but bucks been lovin it since 1999... =)

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:32 am

Great stuff muddy!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:38 am

Good stuff Muddy. I have come to appreciate your brutal honesty. I also enjoyed our visit at the Iowa Deer Classic.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:41 am

Great write up Muddy. One heck of a nice bunch of bucks you have there. 8-)

I’m really interested in the GIANT marshes and swamps in Iowa you mentioned. :think:
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:42 am

Once again great information thanks for sharing! Some great bucks as well congratulations!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:21 am

Very good Muddy. I enjoyed the read.

Thanks to the guys that made these happen. I am enjoying them more than I thought I would. Good format and so much valuable info from great hunters.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:24 am

I'll have to discuss this stay at home Dad thing with my wife.

Nice write up man!
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:40 am

Great read Muddy! Thanks for sharing.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:43 am

Great tead Muddy and very impressive lineup of bucks

I just read the post while eating lunch in a small diner alone.....question #8 “balloons”. Dang I was laughing aloud!!

Good stuff Muddy thanks for taking the time
Also love all the photos added, good job man :clap:
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:17 am

backstraps wrote:
I just read the post while eating lunch in a small diner alone.....question #8 “balloons”. Dang I was laughing aloud!!

I actually started putting that mess together right about the time the balloon posts were getting ridiculous on the Facebook page. Since sarcasm is a 2nd language to me I figured I'd throw one nugget of it into the write up and see if anyone would bite. Thank you. My work here is done.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:22 am

muddy wrote:
backstraps wrote:

I actually started putting that mess together right about the time the balloon posts were getting ridiculous on the Facebook page. Since sarcasm is a 2nd language to me I figured I'd throw one nugget of it into the write up and see if anyone would bite. Thank you. My work here is done.

I too find humor in sarcasm and can not only recognize it right away, but can also appreciate it :lol:

In all seriousness though, good stuff man and an impressive catalog of bucks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”