Season in review- part one

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Season in review- part one

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:46 am

Bow season in review... part #1 Early season

I think its important to go over your season and analyze the success and failure if your goal is to improve as a hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy8KxH6Yx9M

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Season in review- part one

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:55 am

:clap:
It's amazing how much their is to learn even when we think we have it figured out.

Preparing for my 4th beast season I know I need to reevaluate some of my entry routes, spot choices and tree selection.

Looking back I noticed I hunted too many pine stands early season when I should've been in between bedding and nearest falling oaks. Timing that each spot being hunted is more critical then I ever realized before.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:17 am

Tennhunter3 wrote::clap:
It's amazing how much their is to learn even when we think we have it figured out.

Preparing for my 4th beast season I know I need to reevaluate some of my entry routes, spot choices and tree selection.

Looking back I noticed I hunted too many pine stands early season when I should've been in between bedding and nearest falling oaks. Timing that each spot being hunted is more critical then I ever realized before.

I was out scouting and shed hunting this weekend on a section I have never hunted on a piece I have hunted a ton. As I walked into this area that was completely devoid of any hunter/human sign, I found a big stand of old growth pines that looked like fantastic deer habitat. I believe all of the other pine groves in this section of National/State forest were previously clearcut, so I was surprised to find this big patch of pines. What time of year would a big stand of pines normally hold deer? I've never actually hunted one, and would like to file away this spot to target this coming season.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:05 am

IndyDawg wrote:

I was out scouting and shed hunting this weekend on a section I have never hunted on a piece I have hunted a ton. As I walked into this area that was completely devoid of any hunter/human sign, I found a big stand of old growth pines that looked like fantastic deer habitat. I believe all of the other pine groves in this section of National/State forest were previously clearcut, so I was surprised to find this big patch of pines. What time of year would a big stand of pines normally hold deer? I've never actually hunted one, and would like to file away this spot to target this coming season.

There are a lot of things dependent on that answer... Im sure some would jump in and say "winter thermal cover" but the truth is that the bedding area your looking at is good when the deer are bedding there and scouting along with good old detective work should uncover the answer. Only boots on the ground can really give the answer.
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:48 am

Thanks for the tip, Dan. My plan was definitely going to revolve around trying to get in there a few different times this upcoming season. I think it may be a good spot a little later in the season when most of the acorn mast is dried up. I definitely have seen fewer bucks in the adjacent areas I usually hunt once we get to about Thanksgiving weekend, so maybe they are moving back into this more remote area.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:56 am

IndyDawg wrote:Thanks for the tip, Dan. My plan was definitely going to revolve around trying to get in there a few different times this upcoming season. I think it may be a good spot a little later in the season when most of the acorn mast is dried up. I definitely have seen fewer bucks in the adjacent areas I usually hunt once we get to about Thanksgiving weekend, so maybe they are moving back into this more remote area.

Dont count those Pine Stands out on real hot days as well, they will provide a dark cool place to bed. Especially if the stand provides a good vantage point and/or is in close proximity to food or other cover.
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:05 am

NYBackcountry wrote:
IndyDawg wrote:Thanks for the tip, Dan. My plan was definitely going to revolve around trying to get in there a few different times this upcoming season. I think it may be a good spot a little later in the season when most of the acorn mast is dried up. I definitely have seen fewer bucks in the adjacent areas I usually hunt once we get to about Thanksgiving weekend, so maybe they are moving back into this more remote area.

Dont count those Pine Stands out on real hot days as well, they will provide a dark cool place to bed. Especially if the stand provides a good vantage point and/or is in close proximity to food or other cover.

I hadn't considered the thermal cover in the early season! I will have to try to get in close to there once squirrel season comes in and check out if there is any fresh sign. I have a feeling you may be correct. This stand of pines is low in a valley where two decently sized creeks meet. The stand is surrounded on all sides by pretty good old growth hardwoods, most of it producing mast, so food shouldn't be an issue. This would also be the hardest to access spot I will have hunted (about a mile walk out, but up and down across two big ridges without great trails to walk) so I really like the odds of it holding big deer. I saw plenty of sign and even bumped a handful of deer in the area last weekend, so I know it gets used. Might have to think about quartering one out if I connect out there!
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:57 am

IndyDawg wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:

I hadn't considered the thermal cover in the early season! I will have to try to get in close to there once squirrel season comes in and check out if there is any fresh sign. I have a feeling you may be correct. This stand of pines is low in a valley where two decently sized creeks meet. The stand is surrounded on all sides by pretty good old growth hardwoods, most of it producing mast, so food shouldn't be an issue. This would also be the hardest to access spot I will have hunted (about a mile walk out, but up and down across two big ridges without great trails to walk) so I really like the odds of it holding big deer. I saw plenty of sign and even bumped a handful of deer in the area last weekend, so I know it gets used. Might have to think about quartering one out if I connect out there!

Anticipate thermals dropping into that valley and likely being affected by the creeks as well.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:35 am

IndyDawg wrote:

Pines in my areas seem to hold some great buck beds. I think they are being used often. Probably in heavy weather conditions or high pressure in oaks.

I think my areas are so heavily pressured bucks just avoid open oaks at all cost in daylight hours. Over time I think bucks learn that pines provide more protection. We don't have many swamps where I mostly hunt. It's just logged areas, pines or oaks to choose from.

In truth I don't see that many deer in pines but the large beds are their sign is recent most of the time.

Most of my best bucks I see on cams is in pines.
Hopefully this will help answer some of your questions about pine habitat. Pine areas usually from what I have seen hold the biggest well used scrapes. I'm guessing it is because these scrapes are closer to bedding then ones at nighttime feeding spots in oaks.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:26 pm

Great video guys...Thanks! 8-)

I need to re-read my journals from the last couple season, and look for trends too!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:55 am

Great information ! Thanks ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:38 am

Enjoyed the first one!

Lots of great info. Definitely has me thinking about opening day a little bit more and how to make a move.

I also liked having a less-experienced Beast there in Rob to give a different perspective to the just having the veterans in the room that might take certain things for granted.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”