Focusing on secondary beds vs primary

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hildebrand

Re: Focusing on secondary beds vs primary

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:23 am

https://share.icloud.com/photos/052rIFl ... zFhr_sIwQ#

This is a area i think is used as a bedding area. Supper nasty as the video shows. This is also the lowest area. Also, you can see about how far its off the south side of the woods

Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:46 am

Navy96

Unread postby Navy96 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:59 am

I’m having trouble identifying primary vs secondary bedding also - I hunt mostly rolling farm land with small wood lots ( under 250 acres) all public land at multiple locations. I am finding LOTS of bedding( Buck and Doe) with in 50 yds of the field edges. IS this bedding primarily evening only? Or do the deer hang there until they see hunters then split? I am finding buck bedding deeper into the woods just not nearly as many locations.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:30 pm

something I am trying to figure out and learn more of myself. The more I read the more I am learning. I am reading a lot and then scout and try and out what i have read together
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:03 am

Navy96 wrote:I’m having trouble identifying primary vs secondary bedding also - I hunt mostly rolling farm land with small wood lots ( under 250 acres) all public land at multiple locations. I am finding LOTS of bedding( Buck and Doe) with in 50 yds of the field edges. IS this bedding primarily evening only? Or do the deer hang there until they see hunters then split? I am finding buck bedding deeper into the woods just not nearly as many locations.

I hunt a lot of similar setups. In my experience, field edge bedding won’t be primary during the season if there’s steady pressure. Where I hunt in Ohio, public and bordering private fields are hunter magnets. It might be primary during summer and into September. Continuous pressure and the eventual cover (crops) getting cut will push bucks out. There’s some good buck bedding on some field edges to watch access but I haven’t found one on pressured public in the fall.

The few primary bedding areas Ive found have been in the 2nd or 3rd year of hunting/scouting. Year 1 I found the secondary and satellite. It was hard to push past that to find the really good stuff. Spring scouting this year, when I find those kinds of beds Ive been asking myself how/where would a mature buck bed nearby to use these deer? Went into last year with 50+ bedding areas, wittled that down to 20 post season. Most of those 20 use satellite bedding and typical hunter access to their advantage.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:59 am

Evanszach7 wrote:
Navy96 wrote:I’m having trouble identifying primary vs secondary bedding also - I hunt mostly rolling farm land with small wood lots ( under 250 acres) all public land at multiple locations. I am finding LOTS of bedding( Buck and Doe) with in 50 yds of the field edges. IS this bedding primarily evening only? Or do the deer hang there until they see hunters then split? I am finding buck bedding deeper into the woods just not nearly as many locations.

I hunt a lot of similar setups. In my experience, field edge bedding won’t be primary during the season if there’s steady pressure. Where I hunt in Ohio, public and bordering private fields are hunter magnets. It might be primary during summer and into September. Continuous pressure and the eventual cover (crops) getting cut will push bucks out. There’s some good buck bedding on some field edges to watch access but I haven’t found one on pressured public in the fall.

The few primary bedding areas Ive found have been in the 2nd or 3rd year of hunting/scouting. Year 1 I found the secondary and satellite. It was hard to push past that to find the really good stuff. Spring scouting this year, when I find those kinds of beds Ive been asking myself how/where would a mature buck bed nearby to use these deer? Went into last year with 50+ bedding areas, wittled that down to 20 post season. Most of those 20 use satellite bedding and typical hunter access to their advantage.

I have a question. What are you referring to as field edge bedding? I have a some bedding happening about 40-50 yards off a field edge. Would that still be considered the edge ?
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Hildebrand wrote:
Evanszach7 wrote:

I have a question. What are you referring to as field edge bedding? I have a some bedding happening about 40-50 yards off a field edge. Would that still be considered the edge ?

I’m primarily referring to field edge bedding like in Dan’s Farm Country dvd. 40-50 would depend on the thickness of the cover and terrain between them and the fields. If they can watch the fields, and the fields get continuous pressure they might mirror my observations.
Navy96

Unread postby Navy96 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:03 am

Hildebrand wrote:
Evanszach7 wrote:

Thanks for the additional info— This bed hunting(locating) definitely has a large learning curve.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:40 pm

I would like to bring this back up. I was out scouting again this weekend and went to a area I had found earlier why scouting and just walked it over again. What i seen was rubs around and a nice area with multiple beds and if you got down close to the ground you could see hair here ad there. I also found another area like this as well. My issue I am having is i cant tell if this is buck or doe bedding and how they are really using this bedding. In this thicket there is tons of trails all over since its been wet out

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”