Need accurate size deer target

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Need accurate size deer target

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:05 pm

Does anybody know of an accurate sized deer target? I'm testing a video camera for a company and need a deer target to show how big the "deer" looks at different ranges. I have a target but I don't know what I did with it's legs. lol It is unrealistically thick bodied anyway. I would like to find something more on the average side like a mature doe or maybe 2.5 year old mid western buck. I know a big buck is about 40"-42" high at the shoulder max so when I see a target 45" tall at the shoulder I know that's unrealistic. Same with length. I see 36" & I know that's wrong.

Ideally it would be a paper target I could put on a big piece of cardboard and cut out due to cost since it's just for this test & that would also allow an arrow with a lighted nock to pass through. If I could remember the actual belly to back & but to chest measurements I might just draw it out on a large piece of cardboard. I may have to research it but I thought I would check here first.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
AfootTrack56

Re: Need accurate size deer target

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:28 pm

I would give Solo Targets a look. Should be perfect for what you need. I’ve had a few of the deer skins and they are life size and look like a real animal.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:55 pm

AfootTrack56 wrote:I would give Solo Targets a look. Should be perfect for what you need. I’ve had a few of the deer skins and they are life size and look like a real animal.

Thanks for sharing, those look awesome and I had never heard of them
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:31 am

AfootTrack56 wrote:I would give Solo Targets a look. Should be perfect for what you need. I’ve had a few of the deer skins and they are life size and look like a real animal.

I didn't know about these either. I will look into them.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:19 am

For the cost of the paper target I would look at the reindhart trophy buck target on camofire. It’s a blem but I have been shooting one for 5 years now. Plus you can move it for different angles and shot scenes.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:26 am

camelcluch wrote:For the cost of the paper target I would look at the reindhart trophy buck target on camofire. It’s a blem but I have been shooting one for 5 years now. Plus you can move it for different angles and shot scenes.

I didn't see it on Camofire, but I did see a Rinehart 3D Target on Amazon for $760 :shock:
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:42 am

That depends on what subspecies you are looking at. For northern deer I would think the Mckenzie targets are pretty legit. If you want really accurate I would suggest getting an actual life sized taxidermy form for the species you desire.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:01 am

DaveT1963 wrote:That depends on what subspecies you are looking at. For northern deer I would think the Mckenzie targets are pretty legit. If you want really accurate I would suggest getting an actual life sized taxidermy form for the species you desire.

In my original post I said for a midwestern whitetail, but asking a taxidermy supply company may be a good way to find out.

The cheaper McKenzie 3D targets around here are pretty scrawny.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:26 am

Yep the newer Mckenzies are small. If you are talking Iowa Kansas Illinois, etc. those are big bodied bucks for sure (for a mature buck). Some of the original/older Mckenzies were created off taxidermy forms and would have been pretty close.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:32 am

You might try the Caldwell Natural Series Whitetail Deer Target. That’s what I used to set up the ranging feature on one of my scopes.

It is inexpensive and you can set it to the height you want.

Bob

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Natural-Whitetail-Deer-Target/dp/B00162NQFC
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:47 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:You might try the Caldwell Natural Series Whitetail Deer Target. That’s what I used to set up the ranging feature on one of my scopes.

Bob

That's the one I have been thinking about getting if I can't find any more detailed info. They have it at Optics Planet for $10.49 Supposedly with free shipping. https://www.opticsplanet.com/caldwell-n ... 34412.html
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:38 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:You might try the Caldwell Natural Series Whitetail Deer Target. That’s what I used to set up the ranging feature on one of my scopes.

Bob

That's the one I have been thinking about getting if I can't find any more detailed info. They have it at Optics Planet for $10.49 Supposedly with free shipping. https://www.opticsplanet.com/caldwell-n ... 34412.html

Let me know if you want any measurements off of mine.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:14 pm

I think I paid less than $150 shipped for my 3D target on camofire. I got the muley but have seen the whitetail on there as well. Both targets were the “booner” series that have the crazy large antlers. I would call camofire and ask. If they have them, they will sell it if the products is not currently on the site for sale:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”