Out of State scout to Iowa next weekend

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buckeye

Out of State scout to Iowa next weekend

Unread postby buckeye » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 am

Making the drive from NE Ohio to Iowa for public land scouting. I have two preference points, this year will make three. Planning to head to Iowa to hunt not this coming season but probably the following.

Looking for any info, tips, etc on the eastern portion of Iowa.

I am not stuck on any certain zone. I have a few public pieces I have been looking at the maps in mostly in East Central Iowa and one in SE Iowa.

Would appreciate any info anyone could share.

Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
rfickes87
500 Club

Re: Out of State scout to Iowa next weekend

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:05 am

buckeye wrote:Making the drive from NE Ohio to Iowa for public land scouting. I have two preference points, this year will make three. Planning to head to Iowa to hunt not this coming season but probably the following.

Looking for any info, tips, etc on the eastern portion of Iowa.

I am not stuck on any certain zone. I have a few public pieces I have been looking at the maps in mostly in East Central Iowa and one in SE Iowa.

Would appreciate any info anyone could share.

I wish I had some advise for you but its hard to give advise to an elite beast member who's headed to a state I've never been. Good luck buddy and glad to see your back on the beast! I'm headed out your way next Saturday to scout some public areas. cyber scouted some remote bedding areas that need scouted on foot now...
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:10 am

NE iowa has a ton of snow everywhere. E iowa is flooding and many gravel roads are absolutely horrible and closed. SE iowa is in similar shape with flooding and gravel roads closed due to wash outs. You're in for a sloppy trip, hope you have 4WD. If you're comfortable saying where you'll be I can give specific info
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:50 am

I guess it's all relative - I was just scouting in eastern OH (from NY) for better opportunity, and you're leaving eastern OH for Iowa! I hope we both find it!
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 am

muddy wrote:NE iowa has a ton of snow everywhere. E iowa is flooding and many gravel roads are absolutely horrible and closed. SE iowa is in similar shape with flooding and gravel roads closed due to wash outs. You're in for a sloppy trip, hope you have 4WD. If you're comfortable saying where you'll be I can give specific info

I dont have a solid plan yet, having never been there. Wanted to use this trip to familiarize myself a little bit to the area to have a better grasp on the situation for another return trip to scout before planning the hunt.

Maps I have looked at and am considering are, Indian Bluffs on zone 7/8 border, Fox Hills on zone 5/6 border, Bloody Run zone 9, Volga River zone 9. I have no inside info on these just spots I picked out from the maps. I am far from stuck on any of these as well.

Im not looking for anyone's spots. Just a general synopsis of the areas local pressure / out of state pressure and quality of hunting the areas offer. Appreciate any insight.
Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:48 am

buckeye wrote:
muddy wrote:NE iowa has a ton of snow everywhere. E iowa is flooding and many gravel roads are absolutely horrible and closed. SE iowa is in similar shape with flooding and gravel roads closed due to wash outs. You're in for a sloppy trip, hope you have 4WD. If you're comfortable saying where you'll be I can give specific info

I dont have a solid plan yet, having never been there. Wanted to use this trip to familiarize myself a little bit to the area to have a better grasp on the situation for another return trip to scout before planning the hunt.

Maps I have looked at and am considering are, Indian Bluffs on zone 7/8 border, Fox Hills on zone 5/6 border, Bloody Run zone 9, Volga River zone 9. I have no inside info on these just spots I picked out from the maps. I am far from stuck on any of these as well.

Im not looking for anyone's spots. Just a general synopsis of the areas local pressure / out of state pressure and quality of hunting the areas offer. Appreciate any insight.

I don't know zones as I'm a resident. I need towns.

I see Bloody Run and Volga River though.... you may want to check into flood stages for safety. The Volga and Upper Iowa rivers are out of their banks and my buddies up in Decorah, Waukon, etc sent pics shed hunting past couple days and theres still knee deep snow in the timbers. The Maquoketa R and Wapsi R (E iowa) also are flooding badly and the gravels are horrible. SE probably the "best" but man it ain't easy travelling.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:16 am

I sent ya a pm, ive been to a few u are looking at :lol:
There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”