Wind and hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hoyt31786

Re: Wind and hill country

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:55 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:I did get it, I just wanted to confirm that what I found was what Dan was explaining. I know there are no hard rules to this stuff, but I was trying to apply what he's saying to what I was seeing!

Yea theres not but i can assure you all the bedding i have found in the hills here had been spot on to how dan described it. Ill never forget years ago when i first came onto dan and this therory the first thing i wanted to do was go see if it was true. I went out scouting walked straight to a point never been to before and sure enough followed a rubline around the ridge on the "thermal tunnel" elevation right to a bed with hair in it. It was a ah ha lightbulb moment for me! Then in all my scouting since i walk that top 1/3 first and continue to find beds like this!

hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:00 am

hoyt31786 wrote:
thepennsylvanian wrote:I did get it, I just wanted to confirm that what I found was what Dan was explaining. I know there are no hard rules to this stuff, but I was trying to apply what he's saying to what I was seeing!

Yea theres not but i can assure you all the bedding i have found in the hills here had been spot on to how dan described it. Ill never forget years ago when i first came onto dan and this therory the first thing i wanted to do was go see if it was true. I went out scouting walked straight to a point never been to before and sure enough followed a rubline around the ridge on the "thermal tunnel" elevation right to a bed with hair in it. It was a ah ha lightbulb moment for me! Then in all my scouting since i walk that top 1/3 first and continue to find beds like this!

But finding the beds are only half the battle. Figuring out how to hunt it and when the right time is another challenge in itself! I try to find as many beds scouting post season so i have setups all yr!
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:24 am

Heres a great example by Flinginairos setting up in hill country on a bed may help!
https://youtu.be/6SKe4g5PNC0
Recurve6

Unread postby Recurve6 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:25 am

I had to test this .... went to another spot I’d marked on my public near my house ..... walked the 1/3 even though this is more like farm/mild hill country... couldn’t find any great beds but a few spots stood out ... then realized this would ONLY be used on a southeast wind ... not real common... so not ones would get a lot of use... then the AH HA moment... like my first scouting foray into my old spots I realized my approach was ALL WRONG!!

Same spot but have to hunt 2 ways depending on morning or evening and also only on a specific wind..... it makes perfect sense but so much more thought and planning goes into this approach ... glad I’ve got my phone to keep
Lists of spots for different winds and morning or evening sit!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”