Michigan guys

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

G3s
500 Club

Re: Michigan guys

Unread postby G3s » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:06 am

I have lived in and around Traverse City my entire life, the hunting is endless as the public land is absolutely everywhere. With that said I hunt the west central UP Alger and Delta counties. If I were to buy recreational property it would absolutely be in the area Northeast of Gladstone in the U.P. Rock, Mcfarland, Trenary, Osier areas specifically. We have killed many very big bucks in that area. The biggest was a 174 5/8 ten point in 2006, but we have killed quite a few 140 class bucks there and several 150 class bucks as well as a 163" 9 point in 2005. The winters are harsh, the wolves are relentless but some deer will survive to maturity. It is really not much different from Saskatchewan weather and Predator wise. Obviously there are huge deer there. For a property to produce there, in my opinion, you must get close to the migration trails. Every year the deer will migrate from north to south with the falling snow. I would scout prospective properties relentlessly to find the migration trails, they are very evident when you find them. If you could find a piece with a river on it your really in luck. The trails crossing rivers are the easiest to find. Deep worn paths in the ground that the deer use year in and year out. I may be a troll but I have great respect for the west central yoop, no finer place to deer hunt if your looking for solitude and the chance at a dandy buck periodically.
For what its worth, Ive hunted Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Ohio. My biggest bucks are from the Yoop. That cant really be a coincidence.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:21 am

G3s wrote:I have lived in and around Traverse City my entire life, the hunting is endless as the public land is absolutely everywhere. With that said I hunt the west central UP Alger and Delta counties. If I were to buy recreational property it would absolutely be in the area Northeast of Gladstone in the U.P. Rock, Mcfarland, Trenary, Osier areas specifically. We have killed many very big bucks in that area. The biggest was a 174 5/8 ten point in 2006, but we have killed quite a few 140 class bucks there and several 150 class bucks as well as a 163" 9 point in 2005. The winters are harsh, the wolves are relentless but some deer will survive to maturity. It is really not much different from Saskatchewan weather and Predator wise. Obviously there are huge deer there. For a property to produce there, in my opinion, you must get close to the migration trails. Every year the deer will migrate from north to south with the falling snow. I would scout prospective properties relentlessly to find the migration trails, they are very evident when you find them. If you could find a piece with a river on it your really in luck. The trails crossing rivers are the easiest to find. Deep worn paths in the ground that the deer use year in and year out. I may be a troll but I have great respect for the west central yoop, no finer place to deer hunt if your looking for solitude and the chance at a dandy buck periodically.
For what its worth, Ive hunted Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Ohio. My biggest bucks are from the Yoop. That cant really be a coincidence.

Great info, thank you.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:45 am

I’ve hunted the southern portions of Michigan mostly. I’ve seen a reducing trend of pressure on public but still quite heavy. Good ones on the public are hard to find for sure but they are there. Just few and far between. I’ve also hunted and spent a good amount of time in and around Manistee national forest in Mason County. That area has come alive the last few years. Some really nice ones coming out of there. Never hunted the UP but I want to.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:22 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:I’ve hunted the southern portions of Michigan mostly. I’ve seen a reducing trend of pressure on public but still quite heavy. Good ones on the public are hard to find for sure but they are there. Just few and far between. I’ve also hunted and spent a good amount of time in and around Manistee national forest in Mason County. That area has come alive the last few years. Some really nice ones coming out of there. Never hunted the UP but I want to.

I have hunted a little bit over there. I do love the area for fishing too. Prices don't seem to bad. I'll keep my eyes out over there.

If we keep up with this little warm spell we are having I am going to start taking some weekend road trips in the next few weeks. I would like to have purchased by Summer.
megillbr

Unread postby megillbr » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:56 am

First post on this forum.

I live in SE Michigan and have had little luck getting permission to hunt private in the area. Sending letters and knocking on doors has yet to provide me any land to hunt.

I've read and listened to all the beast tactics and love how it works in the field. Proof is in the pudding. I killed my first public land buck last season. Swamp boy on Rose Lake in Lansing. Nothing special score wise but he will be the first of many swamp bucks on my wall.

Looking for any advise on Waterloo, Shanonville, Pickney, Brighton or Gregory? Im sure these areas get some heavy pressure. Is there any advise about these areas, anyone would be willing to give. Any spots to avoid completely? Im not asking for your honey hole, just any advise for someone new to the area.

I really appreciate any help, anyone can provide.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:56 am

Welcome to the forum. Just my .02, I dont think its good form to be asking about specific public lands by name on an open forum. Guys that hunt the public stuff in Michigan that are successful have put in a lot of time scouting, hunting and figuring things out. No short cuts, pound ground and apply the tactics that are taught on this forum, videos and podcasts. You'll see over time what's worth a crap and what's not if you can perceive what's going on. Good luck and have fun
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:13 pm

jmaas07 wrote:Welcome to the forum. Just my .02, I dont think its good form to be asking about specific public lands by name on an open forum. Guys that hunt the public stuff in Michigan that are successful have put in a lot of time scouting, hunting and figuring things out. No short cuts, pound ground and apply the tactics that are taught on this forum, videos and podcasts. You'll see over time what's worth a crap and what's not if you can perceive what's going on. Good luck and have fun

Yep.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48086

I wish all the members of this forum the best of luck. But for every member there are 200 anonymous non-members out there digging up info through google or other search engines.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22shooting+y ... =ht&ia=web

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”