Hunting Near a Rusty Old Stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JMB

Hunting Near a Rusty Old Stand

Unread postby JMB » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:07 am

I assume that the answer might be "heck no", but would anybody ever consider hunting in the proximity of a rusty old treestand?

I found what looks like a great spot (a nice big oak tucked away in a cypress swamp) but there's a rusty old ladder stand sitting right on top of it. I've tried to avoid any areas that look like they get regular traffic or hunting pressure, but this spot is surrounded by some thick/nasty terrain and the stand looks long-forgotten.

Would I be wasting my time here, or would anybody else consider scouting further and hunting it in the right conditions?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Hunting Near a Rusty Old Stand

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:10 am

I would hunt it if the stand hasn’t been hunted in a few years and it’s near good bedding. I was sitting 5 yds from an old stand when I shot one of my public bucks last year. Our scouting and reading terrain told us that was where to hunt. I often wonder why people would give up on a spot. Maybe they over hunted it then gave up. Now the spot is good again
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:21 am

If I gave up on spots because of old stands or other hunter sign I would never hunt.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:28 am

oldrank wrote:If I gave up on spots because of old stands or other hunter sign I would never hunt.

:lol: Yep.
JMB

Unread postby JMB » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:38 am

cspot wrote:
oldrank wrote:If I gave up on spots because of old stands or other hunter sign I would never hunt.

:lol: Yep.

So that's why I can't seem to find any good spots to hunt! : :o :lol:

I'm starting to realize that my expectations might not match reality.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:22 pm

Some of my better spots have old rotten treestands from years ago. I sometimes wonder if that was there before hunting became so commercialized and hunters were still hunters :think:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Don't know bout rusty, but when I stumple onto a old rotten wood stand I stop and pay attention. Believe the guys from decades past had a whole lot better idea of what's important than the modern stands I find hanging. Infomercials and gadgetry has led many a modern Hunter astray! These old stands seem to be dialed in on woodsmanship/common scense
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:40 pm

Could be pure luck or a coincidence it’s there. Or Could be witnessing some old whitetail wizardry. I’d like to believe there were good hunters that used to roam this earth and finding old stands can definitely point you in a good direction... or completely leave you bass ackwards...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:58 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Don't know bout rusty, but when I stumple onto a old rotten wood stand I stop and pay attention. Believe the guys from decades past had a whole lot better idea of what's important than the modern stands I find hanging. Infomercials and gadgetry has led many a modern Hunter astray! These old stands seem to be dialed in on woodsmanship/common scense

Agree. My two best rifle stands each had a very old rotted wooden stand very close. Pretty much only a few boards remaining on the tree. Each time I was set up and noticed them later. I often wonder about the stories those stands could tell because they were and still are great spots.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:09 pm

If it looks abandoned I wouldn’t worry about it. The deer have probably long ago presumed the area as safe.
Persistence is undefeated.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Coincidence all of us MI guys agree to hunt it?! :lol: We have to deal with this stuff on a yearly basis.

I've noticed the really old wooden platforms in great looking spots as well and occasionally find myself set up near one.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:37 pm

I would hunt there without a second thought.
JMB

Unread postby JMB » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:41 am

Ack wrote:Coincidence all of us MI guys agree to hunt it?! :lol: We have to deal with this stuff on a yearly basis.

I've noticed the really old wooden platforms in great looking spots as well and occasionally find myself set up near one.

Seems like the same thing here in south Florida. I've put lots of time into looking for spots that nobody else has gotten to, but those don't seem to exist.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:34 am

Some of the spots I hunt, had old stands built. I figured if someone was willing to drag all that crap that far out it must be a decent spot.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:41 am

I have cameras within 30 yards of some of my best permanent stands. I've never seen deer ill effect by the stands at all if:

1) They haven't been hunted that year

2) The camera by the stand hasn't been checked in over 3 weeks.

3) The particular deer has never busted anyone in that stand.

If its an old stand, I wouldn't worry at all. I have hundreds of daytime pictures of mature bucks within stones throw of stands. Heck we killed a couple nice mature 130" and 140" bucks this last year out a permanent stand at less than 25 yards. Granted this isn't public but still pressured private. I have learned that once a deer busts you in a tree, its over for that spot. I have a stand I hunt a couple times a year that is a good morning spot because it close to the road and two points somewhat pinch together. A wise old doe busted me there three years ago. She has a really dark face and easy to recognize. The last two year she has shown up two of the three times I hunted that stand and picked me off a 100 yards out in an oak ridge. I've probably seen 40 deer out of that stand within 40 yards in the last 5 years and never have I been busted by any deer other than her. This year I tipped my hat to her as she turned around and walked away with her two fawns. Good thing is every year she has had two fawns so I'd let her walk no matter what.

Granted, I do have an obsession with handing permanent stands. 35 or so up now. With young kids and 3 hours from where I hunt, it works out a little better. I do go mobile still but most of the time my permanent stands are a bit easier and produce if only hunted once or twice a year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”