Beds That Aren’t Wind-Specific

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Beds That Aren’t Wind-Specific

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:37 pm

As I’m learning more about terrain-specific bedding, which beds seem to NOT be based on a certain wind direction?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Lockdown

Re: Beds That Aren’t Wind-Specific

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Usually in a marsh scenario when the bedding area is very small. “It’s so thick they’ll never find me here.” type beds. Especially if there’s a lot of dry land and you come across a patch of cattails. They might lay in the middle regardless of wind.

More often than not they’re laying in a spot with some sort of wind advantage.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:35 pm

Lockdown wrote:Usually in a marsh scenario when the bedding area is very small.“It’s so thick they’ll never find me here.” type beds. Especially if there’s a lot of dry land and you come across a patch of cattails. They might lay in the middle regardless of wind.

More often than not they’re laying in a spot with some sort of wind advantage.

The best big buck primary bedding areas are just that here. Areas are flat with no real terrain advantage. They bed down with adequate back cover where available and rarely move more than 10 yards if the wind switches. They can even get up and browse without ever leaving cover. Same with not making it outside the bedding area before closing time. :doh:
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:09 am

When you find a bedding area, look at the beds... Do they have a sight advantage? Is there a thick area to one isde, open to the other? Or is the protection a thick barrier that gives them a sound advantage? In some cases in hill country it can be a bedding area down in a draw where swirling wind gives a scent advantage fr9om every direction as well as thick stuff in flat terrain.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:54 am

great tip Dan, thanks,,,, now that I am hunting bluff country in sw Wisconsin, its a whole new learning curve,,,,,,
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:01 am

dan wrote:When you find a bedding area, look at the beds... Do they have a sight advantage? Is there a thick area to one isde, open to the other? Or is the protection a thick barrier that gives them a sound advantage? In some cases in hill country it can be a bedding area down in a draw where swirling wind gives a scent advantage fr9om every direction as well as thick stuff in flat terrain.

Thanks for this! So, if a bed has thick protection all around, like a small pine or briar thicket (like I found a few days ago), it’s most likely not wind based but sound based? And he could be bedded there on any wind?
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”