The Young and Zealous 2.5 Year Old

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

The Young and Zealous 2.5 Year Old

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:36 am

I've heard it said many times on the BEAST that it takes three to five years to truly get a grip on this style of hunting. Having my first beast season under my belt, I totally believe it! As I was watching Andrae's interview the other day, I noticed him encouraging guys (me) who haven't killed 150" bucks to get good at killing younger deer. That reminded me of when I heard Dan say on a podcast that he once knew of a 140" class 2.5 year old. Well, that would be my biggest buck by far. I'm truly learning so much and working hard to put everything into practice. I'm having a blast finding mature buck bedding areas during my post-season scouting, but I also know I don't want to spend a whole season chasing a 160" 4.5 year old, and come up empty-handed, when I know there are four times as many 2.5 year olds that would be my biggest buck to date. So my question is this: How can I consistently kill 2.5 year olds while working hard to progress as a mature buck hunter? In other words, what would you do to consistently kill 2.5 year olds each year? How and where would you set up?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
john1984

Re: The Young and Zealous 2.5 Year Old

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:45 am

Lots of guys on here have oppurtunities at young bucks while they hunt for mature bucks
Recurve6

Unread postby Recurve6 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:39 am

Funderburk....

I’m no expert but I’ve been killing 3 1/2 year old deer pretty consistently here in Tn...while there are much bigger .... 3 1/2 year olds aren’t growing on trees.

First thing I changed was being willing to eat my tag before I gave in.... usually if I stay in woods day in and day out - I will get a few chances a year..

I have been “Kind of beasting” in that I was locating thickest cover I could and walking perimeter to find where big rubs were ... then setting up down wind trying to catch them going in and out. I figured - wrongly - that they were deeper in there than maybe they are... so now I’m scouting to find beds and pinpoint them and also figure when they use that spot and why - so I’m not blowing them out like I probably have been.

Hunting thick cover and leaving big woods to others was an adjustment... don’t see as many deer in the thick stuff but I do see more of what I want to shoot.

Again, I’m no expert but after watching on here a few months now I realized that very few folks have been doing this long so the list of questions by far outnumber the “answerers” so I’m going to try to contribute my little bit more and hope it helps while I continue to scout these areas with new eyes.

Good luck!
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:46 am

Recurve6 wrote:Funderburk....

I’m no expert but I’ve been killing 3 1/2 year old deer pretty consistently here in Tn...while there are much bigger .... 3 1/2 year olds aren’t growing on trees.

First thing I changed was being willing to eat my tag before I gave in.... usually if I stay in woods day in and day out - I will get a few chances a year..

I have been “Kind of beasting” in that I was locating thickest cover I could and walking perimeter to find where big rubs were ... then setting up down wind trying to catch them going in and out. I figured - wrongly - that they were deeper in there than maybe they are... so now I’m scouting to find beds and pinpoint them and also figure when they use that spot and why - so I’m not blowing them out like I probably have been.

Hunting thick cover and leaving big woods to others was an adjustment... don’t see as many deer in the thick stuff but I do see more of what I want to shoot.

Again, I’m no expert but after watching on here a few months now I realized that very few folks have been doing this long so the list of questions by far outnumber the “answerers” so I’m going to try to contribute my little bit more and hope it helps while I continue to scout these areas with new eyes.

Good luck!

What is the biggest difference you have noticed going from killing 3.5-year-olds consistently to more of a beast style hunting?
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:35 am

First I am no expert, but I think if you are finding good locations that you will get your chances at 2.5 year old deer as well. All bucks move between bedding, feeding, and checking doe. You can set up on any age buck if you know where he is bedding and where he is heading. Younger buck are just more likely to do it while there is still some daylight.

I would also say to hunt and shoot what makes you happy. Nothing wrong with taking a legal deer.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:42 am

cspot wrote:First I am no expert, but I think if you are finding good locations that you will get your chances at 2.5 year old deer as well. All bucks move between bedding, feeding, and checking doe. You can set up on any age buck if you know where he is bedding and where he is heading. Younger buck are just more likely to do it while there is still some daylight.

I would also say to hunt and shoot what makes you happy. Nothing wrong with taking a legal deer.

Thank you! I will certainly be hunting mature buck sign, but a confidence booster would be great. Especially with my buckless season last year.

I keep thinking back to Herndon’s “Mapping Trophy Bucks” and it seems that hunting saddles, inside corners, etc. would seem to produce daytime movement with younger bucks. Have you found that to be the case?
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:50 am

I'd agree with that statement....

Jumping in and chasing after a very wise mature ole buck on pressured lands in areas those bucks aren't common....you'd be climbing an iceberg.

There is a LOT to get right to kill deer with a bow...stand placement, learning when to make your moves, learning when to draw, learning to execute the shot etc etc...

I know a lot of guys that loose their cool when they see deer. My dad is a great example. Give him a tough shot on a deer that pops up outta nowhere and he will crush it. Let him sit there and watch the deer work in and he absolutely looses it.

That's something that a hunter has to work through. Everyone is different with "buck fever". But it's real...for some it's more real....

To not execute a shot till you see a magazine cover buck walk in....boy...that'd be tough for most guys to pull off without blowing it at some point.

On pressured lands I often find 2.5yos in the bedding we talk about. They may or may not be King of the Hill...but there's often a lot of bedding options and the older bucks may be somewhere else..but that 2.5yo is still bedding in a place you can find with these tactics.

You don't know what will come out of a buck bed.

I was still hunting in Michigan a couple years back. The ridge was a couple miles long and had several points which were ideal for the wind. I got near one of the last points and spotted a deer bedded right where "it should be". Got the gun up and ready to pile it up if it had a legal rack.....DOE!

Just never know. Scout....hunt. Shoot what makes you happy. But, getting some deer under your belt would be wise...does..bucks that make you happy...don't get hung up on looking for a magazine cover buck. Unless that's literally all that'll make you happy.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:35 am

I'm convinced based on killing some 2.5 yr old bucks on public that if there's any kind of hunting or predator pressure, the 2.5 yr old bucks hang out where the big boys do. There are just more of them around and they are more prone to making mistakes and getting killed by hunters.

If you are hunting for the biggest bucks on the land you hunt, you will likely cross paths with a few 2.5 yr old bucks long before crossing paths with a rare mature buck. That has been my observation and also what has kept me from killing a mature buck because I don't pass the 2.5 yr old opportunities.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:46 am

How can I consistently kill 2.5 year olds while working hard to progress as a mature buck hunter? Set a standard that you’re not killing one less than 3 years old until after December 1st. You’ll get to work through most of your spots by then, and will get field experience along the way. Shoot Does too. Not the same as shooting a buck, but it’ll help hone in your shot sequence and tracking.

In other words, what would you do to consistently kill 2.5 year olds each year? How and where would you set up? Follow the beast tactics and you’ll have opportunities. Sit traditional rut sets in November.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:27 am

mauser06 wrote:I'd agree with that statement....

Jumping in and chasing after a very wise mature ole buck on pressured lands in areas those bucks aren't common....you'd be climbing an iceberg.

There is a LOT to get right to kill deer with a bow...stand placement, learning when to make your moves, learning when to draw, learning to execute the shot etc etc...

I know a lot of guys that loose their cool when they see deer. My dad is a great example. Give him a tough shot on a deer that pops up outta nowhere and he will crush it. Let him sit there and watch the deer work in and he absolutely looses it.

That's something that a hunter has to work through. Everyone is different with "buck fever". But it's real...for some it's more real....

To not execute a shot till you see a magazine cover buck walk in....boy...that'd be tough for most guys to pull off without blowing it at some point.

On pressured lands I often find 2.5yos in the bedding we talk about. They may or may not be King of the Hill...but there's often a lot of bedding options and the older bucks may be somewhere else..but that 2.5yo is still bedding in a place you can find with these tactics.

You don't know what will come out of a buck bed.

I was still hunting in Michigan a couple years back. The ridge was a couple miles long and had several points which were ideal for the wind. I got near one of the last points and spotted a deer bedded right where "it should be". Got the gun up and ready to pile it up if it had a legal rack.....DOE!

Just never know. Scout....hunt. Shoot what makes you happy. But, getting some deer under your belt would be wise...does..bucks that make you happy...don't get hung up on looking for a magazine cover buck. Unless that's literally all that'll make you happy.

Thank you! Very helpful
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:29 am

hunter_mike wrote:I'm convinced based on killing some 2.5 yr old bucks on public that if there's any kind of hunting or predator pressure, the 2.5 yr old bucks hang out where the big boys do. There are just more of them around and they are more prone to making mistakes and getting killed by hunters.

If you are hunting for the biggest bucks on the land you hunt, you will likely cross paths with a few 2.5 yr old bucks long before crossing paths with a rare mature buck. That has been my observation and also what has kept me from killing a mature buck because I don't pass the 2.5 yr old opportunities.

So, it’s sounding like the consensus is: Hunt the big boys and you’re bound to see younger bucks. I can do that!
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:35 am

Evanszach7 wrote:How can I consistently kill 2.5 year olds while working hard to progress as a mature buck hunter? Set a standard that you’re not killing one less than 3 years old until after December 1st. You’ll get to work through most of your spots by then, and will get field experience along the way. Shoot Does too. Not the same as shooting a buck, but it’ll help hone in your shot sequence and tracking.

In other words, what would you do to consistently kill 2.5 year olds each year? How and where would you set up? Follow the beast tactics and you’ll have opportunities. Sit traditional rut sets in November.

I like the goal setting. Kinda how Andrae never shot a smaller buck from his 125” buck. Crazy. I’m just realizing how effective beast-style hunting can be and I don’t want to be discouraged by chasing a 7.5 year old when what I need to do is gain confidence with this style by hunting and killing 2.5 and 3.5 year olds consistently. Little by little. And...if everything goes right, and a slob walks by...even better.
Recurve6

Unread postby Recurve6 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:53 am

So.... I just went to one of my spots on
Public land .... first time to scout farm/ small hills since learning about this style.... holy cow was I an idiot...

My spot was DEAD ON .... my approach was DEAD WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Walk perimeter of thickest cover... found runs going in so I set up downwind. Never occurred to me how or what I’d do if he WAS THERE!! I was falling right into his trap!!

Now assuming where all the runs went into thicket IS the entrance to bedding - found a few faint beds but tons of rubs- can only hunt here on a north or west wind ... previously I would have also hinted an east wind but now realize that was blowing to where he would most likely be coming from... where I set up to get close for an afternoon hunt would probably be too close for a morning hunt cause as he circled downwind to scent check bed he’d pick me off...

So my spots - assuming the pattern holds - are good... my approach was awful.

So I’d now strongly second what I said before ... circle thickest stuff to find entrance - find beds just inside - figure when he’s there AND how you can approach... most important... and then throw a CAREFUL hunt at it..

Man this is gonna be a long off season!!!!
J.W.83

Unread postby J.W.83 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:16 am

mauser06 wrote:Jumping in and chasing after a very wise mature ole buck on pressured lands in areas those bucks aren't common....you'd be climbing an iceberg.

Truth. The struggle is real! I spent my teenage years working through serious buck fever, missing a couple younger bucks, and that was with a rifle! Just seeing antler was enough to give me the shakes. I finally got enough experience to settle down a bit, but bowhunting and mature bucks is a whole different thing. I will certainly chase a big buck encounter, but likely will settle for an opportunity at meat in the freezer later into the season.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:20 am

J.W.83 wrote:
mauser06 wrote:Jumping in and chasing after a very wise mature ole buck on pressured lands in areas those bucks aren't common....you'd be climbing an iceberg.

Truth. The struggle is real! I spent my teenage years working through serious buck fever, missing a couple younger bucks, and that was with a rifle! Just seeing antler was enough to give me the shakes. I finally got enough experience to settle down a bit, but bowhunting and mature bucks is a whole different thing. I will certainly chase a big buck encounter, but likely will settle for an opportunity at meat in the freezer later into the season.

Shoot, I still get it! Although I get it real bad after the shot now. . .
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”