This bucks a traveler

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

austin1990
500 Club

This bucks a traveler

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Came across this story and research data earlier, pretty interesting on how big of an area he used and choosing busy and heavily populated areas. https://www.clarionledger.com/story/spo ... 077706002/

thwack16
500 Club

Re: This bucks a traveler

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:18 pm

Had that article sent to me earlier. Thought the travel up and down the river corridor was interesting.

Definitely think he’s an outlier case on distance traveled. I do see quite a few bucks use a particular area on one of my farms until velvet shed, then disappear returning sometime in January.

We actually had a big buck move onto us after velvet shed a few years ago that summered 7 miles from where we eventually killed him.

Also, I know the article made it sound like a heavily populated area, but the town mentioned has a population of 500 ha. The highway is well traveled though.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:36 pm

thwack16 wrote:Had that article sent to me earlier. Thought the travel up and down the river corridor was interesting.

Definitely think he’s an outlier case on distance traveled. I do see quite a few bucks use a particular area on one of my farms until velvet shed, then disappear returning sometime in January.

We actually had a big buck move onto us after velvet shed a few years ago that summered 7 miles from where we eventually killed him.

Also, I know the article made it sound like a heavily populated area, but the town mentioned has a population of 500 ha. The highway is well traveled though.

Heck that Is a heavy population to me, I grew up 5 miles outside a city of 275 people lol the river corridor travel was interesting how he really stuck to it. I know in my experience most bucks stay pretty close to the same area year round, but there is always a few that disappear after the velvet comes off and don't show back up til late December or January. I seen a really good buck a few times this summer in velvet that has a split g2 on his left side, once velvet came off I haven't seen him since, but hope to this summer. That's really cool that ya'll had a buck that had moved over 7 miles, that's crazy. The last 2 years I've had a good buck show up on cameras and last 2 seasons he's shown up around October 30th and never seen him again after November 8th. Both years he showed up every day on the same scrape and also following does but time he showed and left was within a day from one year to the next. I'm really interested to see if this fall he will make it 3 straight year, that is if he's still alive
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:18 am

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I will be interested to see the results once study is finished. The deers behavior almost idicates some brain damage. Without knowing his "personality" would be jusf a guess.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:37 am

jersey mountain bucks will go a long way year round even the older ones. its funny though there range is not a big block like most would think its more of a big loop or a long narrow strip. often its upper one third down the whole mountain range along ledges then they only drop down in select drainage then travel along swamps and rivers. we need too get away from the idea a buck runs a certain square mile area and think of it more wind and thermal and cover advantage in most cases.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”