Reflecting on my younger self: my biggest flaw

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Reflecting on my younger self: my biggest flaw

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:08 pm

Hard to narrow down a single flaw in my early years, I had a lot! I knew nothing of how deer lived, survived or go about hunting them. I strictly went out and set a stand in a spot that would be a great pic for a Halmark card and try to beat em with persistence.

My scouting methods were more like a stroll through the woods and if I found a rub than it was the spot Jack! If I read something about hunting I took it as factual and reached no conclusions of my own. Wasn't until I realized whatever these guys are hunting is not the same animal I am when things took a turn for the better. I disregarded everything I've ever heard and decided to base my findings on what I personally witnessed. Was a long road but gratifying.

Biggest lesson learned is a great spot can make u look like ya know what the heck your doing and a sorry area will leave u looking like a ameture no matter the skill level. Facts are giant antlers make a man look like they know what they are doing, a lot do and a lot don't. That's the biggest thing I have learned thus far. Hunt where a lot of giants are and they are much easier to kill. That could be private or public. Unless u live in one of the big3 comparing yourself to others in terms on inches is gonna leave u soured and heartbroke. If u r the competitive type compare yourself to your own area or move to the lands Boone and Crockett bucks are plentiful. When I realized this I was more happy and had a lot more fun.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:18 pm

Boozing and women cost me a lot of bucks in my younger days but I am honed in now!
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:44 pm

elk yinzer wrote:Boozing and women cost me a lot of bucks in my younger days but I am honed in now!

Haha... yup, a lot of evening hunts only in those days.
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:04 am

Overhunting was definitely my biggest flaw.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:42 am

My biggest flaw was my failure to hunt public land sooner in life. That fact caused my 2nd biggest flaw. Overhunting the same area. Mature bucks keep reminding me, I'm still pretty flawful, though. :roll:
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:38 am

For me, honestly what probably cost me the most bucks was not practicing shooting from a stand nearly enough. I shot instinctive for the first 15 years I bow hunted. Shot most every day from spring through fall, rarely shot elevated. I missed over or grazed the backs of a half dozen good bucks, including a couple real slammers.

That said, the beast really did open up a whole new ballgame for me. The idea that mature bucks are in their beds 95-99% of daylight hours outside of the rut so you have to be close seems so simple, but I think it really smacks a lot of people in the face when they put that together.

In season scouting is one I'm really honing and learning too. I small game hunted a lot when I was young, so did a fair bit of it, and I think that was part of the success getting on good buck (but missing) when I was young. Then I got serious about deer, wasn't spending that time in the woods, and actually had my success dip fora few years. Got back to getting out a lot, and boom, back in the game.
PAHUNTER570

Unread postby PAHUNTER570 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:06 am

elk yinzer wrote:Boozing and women cost me a lot of bucks in my younger days but I am honed in now!

Heard that
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:10 am

Kraftd wrote:For me, honestly what probably cost me the most bucks was not practicing shooting from a stand nearly enough. I shot instinctive for the first 15 years I bow hunted. Shot most every day from spring through fall, rarely shot elevated. I missed over or grazed the backs of a half dozen good bucks, including a couple real slammers.

That said, the beast really did open up a whole new ballgame for me. The idea that mature bucks are in their beds 95-99% of daylight hours outside of the rut so you have to be close seems so simple, but I think it really smacks a lot of people in the face when they put that together.

In season scouting is one I'm really honing and learning too. I small game hunted a lot when I was young, so did a fair bit of it, and I think that was part of the success getting on good buck (but missing) when I was young. Then I got serious about deer, wasn't spending that time in the woods, and actually had my success dip fora few years. Got back to getting out a lot, and boom, back in the game.

That's a good reminder! I see a lot of this with hunters in my area. They never attempt a shot from a elevated position or from ackward angles. Always in perfect conditions in the wide open on block targets with field tips. Come mid summer all I shoot is Broadheads and 90% of my practice comes from in a tree. Not saying it's a must for anyone else, but for me it takes time to build my trust and know my limits. Have learned through time when I practice that way I'm very confident come the moment of truth as opposed to screwing on a head opening day, never shooting from hunting conditions and simply hoping for the best.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”