Andrae interview...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

carmmond

Re: Andrae interview...

Unread postby carmmond » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:50 pm

One thing I found interesting is in the past with some of the bucks coming in I have shut my eyes and they kept coming in for the kill.... he talked about it and I thought I was the only one doing it! Dad said I was nutz but told him I just had a gut feeling/instinct to do it.

JRWills34

Unread postby JRWills34 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:01 pm

He talked about covering your eyes because deer can pick them up from a far distance, what do you guys do to cover your eyes and blend in more? Any specific face masks/nets that you use or recommend?
cmbrown337

Unread postby cmbrown337 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:04 pm

JRWills34 wrote:He talked about covering your eyes because deer can pick them up from a far distance, what do you guys do to cover your eyes and blend in more? Any specific face masks/nets that you use or recommend?

I’ll squint my eyes so they appear closed but open enough I can still see. Don’t know if it works or not but sure it’s not any worse then having the whites of your eyes showing.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:12 pm

I could not ever be as disciplined as Andrae in his philosophy to always resolve to kill a bigger buck than the last; at some point it would stop being fun and I'd probably burn out from the self-imposed "pressure".
That's just me.

But stop and think about his results achieved by employing that mentality- if I heard him correctly, he's never backslid, (on antler score), since killing his first P@Y 125-1/8" buck.

EVERY buck he's taken since has been bigger than the one before, and I assume we're talking dozens (?) of bucks.
(I've never seen pics of his trophy room, etc.)

That absolutely blows my mind.
carmmond

Unread postby carmmond » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:13 pm

cmbrown337 wrote:
JRWills34 wrote:He talked about covering your eyes because deer can pick them up from a far distance, what do you guys do to cover your eyes and blend in more? Any specific face masks/nets that you use or recommend?

I’ll squint my eyes so they appear closed but open enough I can still see. Don’t know if it works or not but sure it’s not any worse then having the whites of your eyes showing.

For me over the years it not only works for deer but that dam squirrel that wont shut up!
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Thanks Dan. Interested to see part two. Love the old style shirt.
Jussbowz

Unread postby Jussbowz » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:29 pm

Great interview. Will have to listen to it again, and can not wait for part two.
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:42 pm

KRONIIK wrote:I could not ever be as disciplined as Andrae in his philosophy to always resolve to kill a bigger buck than the last; at some point it would stop being fun and I'd probably burn out from the self-imposed "pressure".
That's just me.

But stop and think about his results achieved by employing that mentality- if I heard him correctly, he's never backslid, (on antler score), since killing his first P@Y 125-1/8" buck.

EVERY buck he's taken since has been bigger than the one before, and I assume we're talking dozens (?) of bucks.

Here’s a link showing some of his bucks

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/lifes ... -dacquisto
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:13 pm

:clap:
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:19 pm

The dude has forgot more about hunting big bucks then most guys will ever learn. Can’t wait for part two. Thanks Dan!
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:23 pm

Haven't listened yet but I have some busywork lined up tomorrow. Every jabroni has a podcast now I don't fall for these easily but Dan and Andrae, I'm in.

Caught above about not looking deer in the eyes. Totally agree with that one. I'm not a scent control believer. I do fine without camo. But I never, ever make eye contact with any deer. Learned that lesson the hard way. Something about eyes. If you learn to still hunt thick brush whether it's deer or rabbits eyes are often the forst thing you spot.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:59 pm

Key take away points for me....
1. Some degree of facial cover when deer are approaching. The eyes forward is a common characteristic of natural predators to deer. I try to keep the bow up and look through my cables/string when one is approaching. If they start eyeing my direction I’ll close an eye or squinch them just enough to still see. It’s the difference between life and death for them to know when they’re being watched.
2. Busting bucks out of their beds is probably the most effective way to know exactly where they’re bedding IMO. There maybe more telltale signs in different regions and terrains but I’ve come to really like this tactic where I hunt. Don’t think its as simple as that’s the one bed he will revisit ASAP (repeat conditions) where I hunt though. Bedding changes constantly and the sheer amount available through to November makes it tough.
3. The difference between September 15th and October 1st is night and day on buck patterns. Again, I know that probably doesn’t apply to every region of the whitetail range but for the majority of places I would bet it does. I remember one instance nearly 10 years ago I bumped a bachelor group off a ridge point bordering a creek bottom. It was early-mid September and I was going to hang a stand. I counted 3 bucks, 2 decent 2-3 year olds followed by a solid 4+. Hunted that stand opening morning and heard 3 different deer moving my way from the point just before light. Before I could see I heard one buck walk out one direction. When it was finally light enough, another had turned back to the point. The other, passed by me in the creek bed and wandered a different direction from the other 2. The one leaving before light was probably the bigger buck since i didn’t get a visual of him. The pecking order may be getting set in September but all truces are severed in October.

Great video!! Can’t wait for the second one.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Pse

Unread postby Pse » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:07 pm

KRONIIK wrote:I could not ever be as disciplined as Andrae in his philosophy to always resolve to kill a bigger buck than the last; at some point it would stop being fun and I'd probably burn out from the self-imposed "pressure".
That's just me.

That was what I was thinking, there must come a time when you've painted yourself into a corner so to speak with nothing to hunt at times . I have known a fisherman or two like that who chase personal bests all the time
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:12 pm

That's just me.

That was up to the point of that interview. I believe he has shot some bucks that are smaller than his top buck since then... But, back in those days, he was passing booners to shoot bigger booners. I remember watching footage that he has never released of passing a 180 class typical 8 pointer that drank out of a water hole ten yards from him. He never even reached for his bow. The guy who ended up getting the buck was on the cover of several magazines.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:03 am

I'm glad he recognized that big woods hunting is more of a challenge...
;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”