How about that.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dingler3
Facebook: Ken Fudalik

How about that.

Unread postby Dingler3 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:27 am

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Re: How about that.

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:53 am

I don't care how this puzzle is solved but I sure hope someone figures it out quick!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:06 am

That would be awesome if true. Also crazy that he thinks 15 percent of Alzheimer's might be Jakobs disease
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:18 am

The science world is a weird one..... not only does it matter what subject is receiving funding but if you've been on one side of the isle for 15 years and all of a sudden new or unpopular research shows up, egos tend to flare holding back breakthroughs. :shock:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:23 am

That's true NY.

I have no problem with scientists pursuing alternate theories or research. In fact, it's necessary.

So I hope he keeps pursuing it. Might be a breakthrough or a blind alley, but it's worth a shot.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:30 am

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/feb ... -cwd-theo/

Some backing for the bacteria theory
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:09 pm

And some backing for the prion theory. https://cwhl.vet.cornell.edu/article/pr ... n-evidence

I am not against Bastian and hope he figures something out. But I think all we are seeing now is an effort for him to get publicity and more importantly funding to continue his research which has been going on for a long time.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm

NYBackcountry wrote:The science world is a weird one..... not only does it matter what subject is receiving funding but if you've been on one side of the isle for 15 years and all of a sudden new or unpopular research shows up, egos tend to flare holding back breakthroughs. :shock:

yea mainstream science is holding back a lot of stuff not just this its sad and most likely politically motivated if you ask me.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:22 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:The science world is a weird one..... not only does it matter what subject is receiving funding but if you've been on one side of the isle for 15 years and all of a sudden new or unpopular research shows up, egos tend to flare holding back breakthroughs. :shock:

yea mainstream science is holding back a lot of stuff not just this its sad and most likely politically motivated if you ask me.

I agree with the first point, but not the second.

As for the second, I would say it's not politically motivated, but financially motivated. There's big money in grants.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:47 pm

I listened to a Joe Rogan podcast the other day about CWD. He had a biologist from Wisconsin on, that I felt like did a great job of informing the listeners all about CWD. I still walked away with the same question I had before. Are there any accounts of wide spread deaths even likely attributed to CWD in a wild population? I don’t yet live in a CWD area, so I haven’t seen anything first hand.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:57 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

I agree with the first point, but not the second.

As for the second, I would say it's not politically motivated, but financially motivated. There's big money in grants.

reason i say this is actually for ehd in NJ right now me and alot of my buddies have reported a bunch of ehd outbreaks in northern NJ. yet they continue on over harvests and or deer harvest reports are showing ever growing decrees. my state is given incentive from auto insurance companies too kill more deer every year its the reason we went too unlimited does and baiting. its very sad too see the corruption in my state. hears a link too ehd in NJ that shows the map and dates of ehd https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/ehd_info.htm hear is proof that ehd was recently found in the northern zones of NJ https://www.njherald.com/20171116/georg ... -ehd-virus basically what me and my friends have been reporting for last 6 years. the state has done nothing too investigate our findings. my buddy found over 40 dead deer on his farm in 2017 called biologist nobody showed for 6 months. at that time it was determined they could not get samples off the deer too confirm. had they came when farmer called deer would have been days old. my buddy reported about thirty more deer on a wma 10 miles away same story. and i reported finding 28 deer on another wma that was on other side of county and nobody reported. ive reported finding deer swimming in circles in lakes at work about 10 times over last couple years and nothing is done. basically NJ is throwing a big blind eye too it our deer numbers are the lowest i can ever remember 4 or five deer in a corn feild is a herd now a days. its really sad too see and thats kind of why i have trust issues with the cwd i doubt NJ will even make public an issue if we have one. :cry:
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:01 pm

Redman232 wrote:I listened to a Joe Rogan podcast the other day about CWD. He had a biologist from Wisconsin on, that I felt like did a great job of informing the listeners all about CWD. I still walked away with the same question I had before. Are there any accounts of wide spread deaths even likely attributed to CWD in a wild population? I don’t yet live in a CWD area, so I haven’t seen anything first hand.

i think more are shot off from it than anything. in my opinion id say just let nature take its coarse and see what happens. if 1% of deer are immune and we wipe out the herd we are doing more damage than good. nature is cruel but buy playing god we could be the demise of the deer not cwd
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:11 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:basically NJ is throwing a big blind eye too it our deer numbers are the lowest i can ever remember 4 or five deer in a corn feild is a herd now a days. its really sad too see and thats kind of why i have trust issues with the cwd i doubt NJ will even make public an issue if we have one. :cry:

That's awful. I can say WI does a better job.

You know, I remember going through NJ between NYC and the PA line once because we lived in Boston and my in laws lived in Philly. Must have been April. Anyway, I remember seeing one of the biggest non-wintering herds I've ever seen anywhere, including WI, in NJ. It was a Sunday and it was near a woodlot, but the actual location of the deer were feeding in the grass of a business right on the interstate. Obviously they weren't being pressured, but there were a TON of them eating the grasses. Like 30+. That was like in the late 90s.
----------
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:34 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:basically NJ is throwing a big blind eye too it our deer numbers are the lowest i can ever remember 4 or five deer in a corn feild is a herd now a days. its really sad too see and thats kind of why i have trust issues with the cwd i doubt NJ will even make public an issue if we have one. :cry:

You know, I remember going through NJ between NYC and the PA line once because we lived in Boston and my in laws lived in Philly. Must have been April. Anyway, I remember seeing one of the biggest non-wintering herds I've ever seen anywhere, including WI, in NJ. It was a Sunday and it was near a woodlot, but the actual location of the deer were feeding in the grass of a business right on the interstate. Obviously they weren't being pressured, but there were a TON of them eating the grasses. Like 30+. That was like in the late 90s.

its still like that near the subs but there is no hunting access. we increase harvests in areas that the deer are sustainable in hopes that they move the non huntable deer into the areas that can hold deer but that sure dont work. as any beast knows. NJ has a lot of deer but not in public big woods where they get hammered. its the never ending struggle of finding small over looked pockets. where i live i could walk out my back door and go miles without hitting a road. but deer drives from November 27 till jan 1st hammer the deer then on top of that its heavy bait from September threw February with a 50 yard legal distance from a dwelling with a bow. most guys just shoot them of there decks or out there windows around hear 24 hours a day. its a shame because NJ actually has great genetics in the country areas every year there are bucks taken on public that go into high 150s threw 180s. but our average age deer taken is 1/2 year old and 70 something percent are button bucks. 90% of bucks i see are 1.5 year old then 9% are 2.5 then the 1% well they are the big boys. my taxidermist ages every deer that comes in some are 130s 140s but they are also 2.5 years old. when NJ bucks get old they get huge. its just nearly impossible too kill them.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:42 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

its still like that near the subs but there is no hunting access. we increase harvests in areas that the deer are sustainable in hopes that they move the non huntable deer into the areas that can hold deer but that sure dont work. as any beast knows. NJ has a lot of deer but not in public big woods where they get hammered. its the never ending struggle of finding small over looked pockets. where i live i could walk out my back door and go miles without hitting a road. but deer drives from November 27 till jan 1st hammer the deer then on top of that its heavy bait from September threw February with a 50 yard legal distance from a dwelling with a bow. most guys just shoot them of there decks or out there windows around hear 24 hours a day. its a shame because NJ actually has great genetics in the country areas every year there are bucks taken on public that go into high 150s threw 180s. but our average age deer taken is 1/2 year old and 70 something percent are button bucks. 90% of bucks i see are 1.5 year old then 9% are 2.5 then the 1% well they are the big boys. my taxidermist ages every deer that comes in some are 130s 140s but they are also 2.5 years old. when NJ bucks get old they get huge. its just nearly impossible too kill them.
this is what almost all NJ deer look like at 6.5 years old Image Image ImageImage

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”