Stealth Thread

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Re: Stealth Thread

Unread postby funderburk » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:45 pm

JAK wrote:Slow, wind, or wet , any noise that can help you . Just dont be like me and get so excitex u make a quite entry you clank something setting up :shock:

You mean I’m not the only one?! :lol:

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:14 pm

funderburk wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Literally read in Jim Roy's book yesterday that he shuffles his feet as he walks and uses a walking stick to shuffle-step the ground with the stick between every footstep. Gives the impression of a creature with more than two legs. Then he combines that with varying levels of pauses. Claims to have been able to walk up on a lot of deer this way, including bow kills in beds. I haven't tried it yet but I may mess around with it scouting this weekend.

Which book? And do you recommend?

Real World Whitetail Behaviors. A recommendation from someone on this forum. It’s pretty good. Recommended.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
megavites

Unread postby megavites » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:09 am

sometimes I've been guilty of moving too quickly thru the woods. Most times I will save the last 100-200yds for a slow "stealth walk". This may be in conjunction with using environmental noise, be it wind, cars passing or airplanes above. Also, as your approaching your stand, pausing and scanning as far out as you can see. Although this video is related to martial arts, it applies to hunting using a heel-toe technique. There's also a toe 1st technique, and a squirrel walk (rustle-4-5 steps-rustle) etc.

https://youtu.be/QGLXCT3zwpQ
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:27 am

megavites wrote:sometimes I've been guilty of moving too quickly thru the woods. Most times I will save the last 100-200yds for a slow "stealth walk". This may be in conjunction with using environmental noise, be it wind, cars passing or airplanes above. Also, as your approaching your stand, pausing and scanning as far out as you can see. Although this video is related to martial arts, it applies to hunting using a heel-toe technique. There's also a toe 1st technique, and a squirrel walk (rustle-4-5 steps-rustle) etc.

https://youtu.be/QGLXCT3zwpQ

That’s a good point he makes about keeping your back straight. Although it’s not always possible when your ducking under things to keep a stand from scraping against a limb.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:08 am

Know how to get there, be familiar w/ your set-up, last 100 yards are crucial. Haven't stepped foot in cats(yet), but the best spot(usually) in the woods is a hell-hole...very noisy place. The best part of taking the last yards slow is time to pay attention to whats going on around you.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:15 am

Kinda related to what a few people have said but I avoid trying to access the real thick stuff in the dark. If I access a spot i am not totally sure how to get into an the AM, I either will wait for gray light or set up on back away from where I truly want to be because the alternative is to walk into there in there dark, get confused and track my ground scent all over before my sit has even begun.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:17 am

Anyone ever try the sound like a turkey method? Carry a mouth call yelp ,cut ,purrr scratch around ? Ive seen the hunting public guys starting to do this with some success!
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:52 am

hoyt31786 wrote:Anyone ever try the sound like a turkey method? Carry a mouth call yelp ,cut ,purrr scratch around ? Ive seen the hunting public guys starting to do this with some success!

I’m actually planning on trying that this season. Makes a ton of sense. May go with a push-button just for consistency. Sounds like it could possibly save a hunt, especially on calm days walking through dry leaves. I think I’d only use it when I stepped wrong. Wouldn’t want to draw any attention to myself unless I’m trying to throw him off a bit. Thoughts?
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:53 am

funderburk wrote:
hoyt31786 wrote:Anyone ever try the sound like a turkey method? Carry a mouth call yelp ,cut ,purrr scratch around ? Ive seen the hunting public guys starting to do this with some success!

I’m actually planning on trying that this season. Makes a ton of sense. May go with a push-button just for consistency. Sounds like it could possibly save a hunt, especially on calm days walking through dry leaves. I think I’d only use it when I stepped wrong. Wouldn’t want to draw any attention to myself unless I’m trying to throw him off a bit. Thoughts?

Yea i think they used it more if they spooked a deer or came across one in the timber and seemed to calm them back down!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:03 pm

hoyt31786 wrote:
funderburk wrote:

Yea i think they used it more if they spooked a deer or came across one in the timber and seemed to calm them back down!

I've heard of using a Turkey call before but have never considered it to be practical until reading this explanation. Makes perfect sense. I may give it a try. Mouth call is super easy to carry too.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:10 pm

I think if your not exhausted from trying to walk quiet, your not trying hard enough. You really need complete body control to move through a thicket quietly.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:53 am

Uncle Lou wrote:I think if your not exhausted from trying to walk quiet, your not trying hard enough. You really need complete body control to move through a thicket quietly.

Very true. It’s not like trapsing up a field edge to climb in a ladder stand. My fitness needs more work for Lou’s second sentence to apply. Fortunately there’s time.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:59 am

Uncle Lou wrote:I think if your not exhausted from trying to walk quiet, your not trying hard enough. You really need complete body control to move through a thicket quietly.

That’s a wisdom bomb right there! Love that perspective. All of these replies have made me realize just how much I’ve devalued the 101 of hunting: walking quietly.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:30 am

I think it’s time to reference a couple old threads on this topic. Sound advice, or something like that, and another similar one. I can’t do while I’m traveling, but will when I get back. Typing on the iPad is dangerous while a drive through some snow showers in Michigan at 75 mph. Just kidding, Dan is driving right now. I just can’t manage the search on this device.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:22 pm

I hope this isn't a hijack if it is, my apologies

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14798&p=180889&hilit=Sound+Advice#p180889

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”