Why do we hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Why do we hunt?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:29 am

Dewey wrote:This sums it up for me. 8-)

Yep. Same here. The chess match is a big part of the attraction for me.

1. Figuring out the puzzle of where they are and why
    2. How to hunt them
    3. Executing the setup
    4. Getting that stuff right and getting the opportunity
    5. Closing the seal

Tons of factors, it’s never the same... the whole experience is why I do it.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:16 am

We as hunters have a lot in common with wolves. I believe this song is about man’s primal instinct that is within us all.

https://youtu.be/st9UHmXpJHs
Steelhead125
Facebook: Bruce Kozielec

Unread postby Steelhead125 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:19 am

James Hetfield is one of the best lyricists of all time.
Public Land Hunter
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 am

Steelhead125 wrote:James Hetfield is one of the best lyricists of all time.

He also love’s to hunt. ;)
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:34 am

I think hunting legally satisfies our natural instinct to conquer something. The pursuit, planning, strategy and reaping the benefits thereof is organically ingrained in our primal, ancestral DNA. Not to mention it's probably the most thrilling thing you can experience with your pants on. :lol:
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:03 am

Top of the food chain baby!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:40 pm

My wife asked me this exact question last December. It took some reflection. She knew I grew up hunting, but in the first 8 years of my daughter’s life it’d been limited to deer camps with her family in MI and mine in TN. Short answer, it keeps me mentally balanced. If I’m not spending time solo, outside, with just my thoughts I get wound really tight.

Secondary reasons: connects me to family heritage, quality time with people I like to spend it with, promoting conservation, being a role model to my wife and daughter.
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:49 pm

The comrade with family and friends. Especially MN shotgun season for me........All the rest that others stated but chasing bucks with ones you care about is fun!
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:43 am

There are some things we will not know until we reach the other side. Until then, the best answer I can come up with is that, hunting is a way of life. The outdoor lifestyle of a Missouri born riverbilly is the only life I've ever known.
tbowers

Unread postby tbowers » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:05 am

In order
1. Meat
2. Fun
3. Social aspect
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:19 pm

Dewey wrote:This sums it up for me. 8-)

Yep 8-) Fred Bear is the MAN!

How else would I spend my time during hunting season???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:14 pm

Personally I don't know why we do anything. Take television for example, some people spend hours a day watching shows about family life, yet the own family is right there.

We are also the only living creature I know who has sex just for the sport of it. Well do all kinds of stuff that makes absolutely no sense.

However hunting/fishing make perfect sense to me. It's no diff than a women nesting while pregnant. It's in our DNA, but I feel it had already been bred out of a lot of men. Same with dogs used to be several breeds that were famous for hunting, but no one has taken that breed in so long it's been bred out of them.

Also, why it's still in our Dna. I do believe as individual hunters we hunt for a lot of different reasons. Some do it simply as a way to profit of a animals death, others care nothing of horns but feel a sense of pride providing for there family, some it's the challenge of matching wits with the wisest of bucks and others just like to be out there and enjoy nature and if they happen to see a deer even better.

For me I like the challange of it. I like venison to but honestly give me a ribeye any day of the week. It's the utimate for me, win lose or draw It's all on me. Not like some other activities where u must rely on others.

There's always one moment during a good hunt where everything is unfolding and there comes a point I refer to as the "longest yard" Where everything hinges on the bucks next move. A right turn puts him in your lap while a left sends him out of your life. Time stands still and heart races. To me that is why I hunt, that feeling I get when that animals instincts determines his fate (or atleast my chance)
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
stratocasterNJ

Unread postby stratocasterNJ » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:11 pm

I believe it is deeply embedded in the DNA of man, not so much with women. I think about hunting all the time, just being in the woods or driving past farm fields or seeing deer tracks on my lawn. I can't explain it to a non-hunter and I've tried many times. It is usually one of two responses, "isn't it easier to buy meat at the store" or I'm "uncivilized, uncultured, uneducated and couldn't I spend my time in better ways". Either you get it or you don't. Being in the same woods with creatures such as deer, elk, wolves is primitive and I just can't explain it, but I want to be there.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:35 pm

I agree with Dewey its about the entire process for me. I love it all. I do however feel its instinctual in humans to hunt.

Look at how many people that have never hunted suddenly become hunters if exposed to it.

Its simply who we are at a primal level.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:18 am

tbowers wrote:In order
1. Meat
2. Fun
3. Social aspect

^
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”