Terrain transitions?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chasintail25

Terrain transitions?

Unread postby Chasintail25 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:50 pm

What could be some possible terrain transitions that I should be looking for when cyber scouting a topo map? I understand the importance of transition lines especially after this last season where I changed up and hunted more ag and swamp land, where the habitat transition was more prevalent compared to the mountainous terrain of the blue ridge mountains I hunt in Va and have been since I was in high school with little to no success. Some seasons going without even seeing a buck. As I got older and began exploring beast style tactics I noticed my buck sightings and overall deer sightings have increased, with that being said most of these sightings have unfortunately been the white flag ship tail we all dread when approaching our areas of interest. Of course other factors play in to me getting busted but I believe my biggest downfall is not understand these mountainous or hilly transitions? This might seem as a very open ended question but by all means any insight would help. Thanks a lot for reading and your responses!

freezeAR
500 Club

Re: Terrain transitions?

Unread postby freezeAR » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:09 pm

The terrain can make transitions but when I look for edges I use an aerial. Clear cuts, conifers boardering hardwoods, open woods boardering a thicket and swamps boardering any dry land are some examples. For the best transitions in hill country look where different edges coincide with benches are points and you might find a really good hideout for a good deer.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:32 pm

Best transitions/edges I hunt cannot be seen from aerials. Obvious stuff gets beat to death these days in my area. Was a time when the "mapping trophy bucks" book was a goldmine. Today in my area it's the definition of places u don't wanna end up when access isn't restricted. Shallow ditches, internal fences, vague changes in cover, to name a few are where I spend the majority of my time. U find these places by getting out there and burning some quality boot leather. Sitting in the AC infront of a screen is what 90% of guys do so expect the same results.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:44 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Best transitions/edges I hunt cannot be seen from aerials. Obvious stuff gets beat to death these days in my area. Was a time when the "mapping trophy bucks" book was a goldmine. Today in my area it's the definition of places u don't wanna end up when access isn't restricted. Shallow ditches, internal fences, vague changes in cover, to name a few are where I spend the majority of my time. U find these places by getting out there and burning some quality boot leather. Sitting in the AC infront of a screen is what 90% of guys do so expect the same results.

Amen, close thread.

I still find lidar imagery somewhat useful but everything textbook is a hunter magnet. The deer tell me how they use the terrain and no two terrains nor deer are the same.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:44 am

Other than what Boogie mentioned from the mapping trophy bucks stuff (I agree it’s pretty common knowledge now), I’ll sometimes use caltopo to pinpoint steep drops that funnel deer. Then again, they’ve got to be really steep or pressure will push deer up and down them still.

Best topo features I find dont show up on maps: micro saddles, benches, etc.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:34 pm

I key in on cliffs that are impassible to deer and most people avoid them also. The deer must funnel around them or go above or below. If you have to hike through or around cliffs to get above, most other people are not into that.
But when I cyber scout the mountains I first look at topo map and find the topography that I expect to find bedding and cruising, and something that will get me away from people, usually upper 1/3 elevation. Then I will look at aerial image and look for clearcuts or obvious edges. But I mainly just use topo as most all I hunt is mature timber. I then put boots on the ground and learn how deer are using the area and look for the more subtle transitions or pinch points.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”