Winter Weather

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tundra

Winter Weather

Unread postby tundra » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:32 am

How is your winter going? Wisconsin, except for the south east, is having a really tough winter, on the deer herd. Lots of snow, on top of lots of ice, and over 40 inches in north central. The forecasts for the next week, also does not look good, plus extreme cold...... In the UP, where there are bad winters, this one is shaping up, to be like the 2013/2014 winter, which set the herd back 3 years...... At this point, local clubs, dnr etc, are trying to drag and open and plow more roads, cut more trees, so the deer have a chance. The wolves of course love this......

The NW part of the state is buried,,,,,,,,,, I will see what I see, when spring finally comes, which may be May, as to what the damage assessment is, but it does not look good in many areas.

Might give some of you a heads up, if your planning a trip, to the north part of the state,,,,,,,,,

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Winter Weather

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:26 pm

tundra wrote:How is your winter going? Wisconsin, except for the south east, is having a really tough winter, on the deer herd. Lots of snow, on top of lots of ice, and over 40 inches in north central. The forecasts for the next week, also does not look good, plus extreme cold...... In the UP, where there are bad winters, this one is shaping up, to be like the 2013/2014 winter, which set the herd back 3 years...... At this point, local clubs, dnr etc, are trying to drag and open and plow more roads, cut more trees, so the deer have a chance. The wolves of course love this......

The NW part of the state is buried,,,,,,,,,, I will see what I see, when spring finally comes, which may be May, as to what the damage assessment is, but it does not look good in many areas.

Might give some of you a heads up, if your planning a trip, to the north part of the state,,,,,,,,,

When entire doe families disappear because of extreme winter...

The strongest (best of the best) will survive but they are few and far between. Recovery in general, may take years.

Does that mean you should give up hunting that area for years to come? Of course not. The best of the best hunters will succeed. The question that remains- how much effort are you willing to expend? That doesn't mean you should, but I and others have often had to answer that question.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”