What’s so hard to understand?!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:29 pm

I find good intel whether cyberscout or boots on ground scout when I am focused on finding one answer.

So it works by allowing you to confirm your theory rather than " making sense of it all". Maybe your best guess is early season bedding or late season food or leeward rut travel. Sign for all of that is out there. Can you figure it all out? I can't.

Each property will have a "easier" pattern to figure out first. What makes it easier, is what YOU SEE. high pressure has lots of people trying to figure out easy to THEM. But a mature deer works between all of that to survive.

My way probably won't ever uncover every big buck or bedding area but I've learned enough here to be dangerous. :dance:

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:32 pm

For me. It took longest to understand when its time to move on to another spot. Still of sitting and waiting needed to be looking and planning for next hunt. Instead of sitting for days on end.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:51 pm

So this evening I saw a really large deer in a small field I have permission to hunt while driving. I always have my scouting stuff on me so I pulled over and set out. I did blow the deer out of the field but it's worth it to get the info I need with the season so far away. The deer was huge with a sagging belly. He watched me walk in and took off. There's a smaller wood lot on a steeper ridge behind the field . There's a pipeline up top holding the neighbors platform stand. I walked the bottom loaded with thick patchy cover and apples. Loaded with beds as well.. none of which my gut told me buck. This ridge is only 200 yards long so at the end I walked 3/4 of the way straight up and zig zagged the upper one third back toward my truck. I caught sight of huge droppings on the down hill side of a huge pine. I looked at that area good and wouldnt you know it... I made out the very and I mean very subtle bed he was in, it was clear as day once I saw it . There was plenty of hair but only after getting on my hands and knees. He was bedded perfect with pine and wind to back on the upper 1/3. The ridge was perfectly leeward today. He was exactly down wind of the neighbors stand also and watching the bottom thick and apple trees, also had good visibility to his right. What's funny is he had limited visibility to his left. I dropped milkweed from all around the bed. The wind was def to his back but that thermal or variable wind was sucking air from his left also somehow. The exact area he couldn't see. That thing had his bases covered and then some to the point that I would think the deer can reason if I didn't know any better. Good to know this guy made it. Can't wait to see whats on his head next year.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:59 pm

To add. The best spot to kill this deer is the lower cover just after the thermal switches right off the road. I laughed to myself cause I always heard Dan say you need to be in spots you'd be embarrassed for friends' to see you in.... I know if my buddies saw me hunting there as they drove by I'd never hear the end of it :lol:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:09 pm

Nice find BB!

That's ok if they would laugh. My hunch is that you'll be laughing all the way to the taxidermist while they eat crow.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:14 pm

greenhorndave wrote:Nice find BB!

That's ok if they would laugh. My hunch is that you'll be laughing all the way to the taxidermist while they eat crow.

I'm hoping. Haven't seen a deer that big in a while. He was clearly mature. There's always one in that general are but I could never manage to get close. It's amazing what the info here and those videos about bedding, wind, and thermals will do for someone that applies it and sticks with it. Just a great group of people helping eachother. Hunting needs more of this.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:38 pm

BBH1980 wrote:

I'm hoping. Haven't seen a deer that big in a while. He was clearly mature. There's always one in that general are but I could never manage to get close. It's amazing what the info here and those videos about bedding, wind, and thermals will do for someone that applies it and sticks with it. Just a great group of people helping eachother. Hunting needs more of this.

Indeed. The world needs more of this.

Good luck in your quest!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:05 pm

One thing that I believe "newby's" overlook is that most of the savage killers on this sight didn't start off killing monster bucks. I killed several deer over many years and kept learning and raising the bar. I'm not sure of the OP's background but I feel like a lot of new hunters in general overlook the importance of learning to close the deal. Shooting at deer is a lot different than a target. Lessons learned by taking animals almost always have to be experienced to get it.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:30 pm

I am no veteran but I can say that there is no "one simple thing". It's not something you learn overnight. If I had to give you one tip out of the thousands we could give, it would be to take what you have learned so far and instead of continuing to sit at home reading and listening to podcasts about it, get out there and do about it.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:35 pm

BBH1980 wrote:So this evening I saw a really large deer in a small field I have permission to hunt while driving. I always have my scouting stuff on me so I pulled over and set out. I did blow the deer out of the field but it's worth it to get the info I need with the season so far away. The deer was huge with a sagging belly. He watched me walk in and took off. There's a smaller wood lot on a steeper ridge behind the field . There's a pipeline up top holding the neighbors platform stand. I walked the bottom loaded with thick patchy cover and apples. Loaded with beds as well.. none of which my gut told me buck. This ridge is only 200 yards long so at the end I walked 3/4 of the way straight up and zig zagged the upper one third back toward my truck. I caught sight of huge droppings on the down hill side of a huge pine. I looked at that area good and wouldnt you know it... I made out the very and I mean very subtle bed he was in, it was clear as day once I saw it . There was plenty of hair but only after getting on my hands and knees. He was bedded perfect with pine and wind to back on the upper 1/3. The ridge was perfectly leeward today. He was exactly down wind of the neighbors stand also and watching the bottom thick and apple trees, also had good visibility to his right. What's funny is he had limited visibility to his left. I dropped milkweed from all around the bed. The wind was def to his back but that thermal or variable wind was sucking air from his left also somehow. The exact area he couldn't see. That thing had his bases covered and then some to the point that I would think the deer can reason if I didn't know any better. Good to know this guy made it. Can't wait to see whats on his head next year.

This is fantastic! Way to go man
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:22 am

funderburk wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:So this evening I saw a really large deer in a small field I have permission to hunt while driving. I always have my scouting stuff on me so I pulled over and set out. I did blow the deer out of the field but it's worth it to get the info I need with the season so far away. The deer was huge with a sagging belly. He watched me walk in and took off. There's a smaller wood lot on a steeper ridge behind the field . There's a pipeline up top holding the neighbors platform stand. I walked the bottom loaded with thick patchy cover and apples. Loaded with beds as well.. none of which my gut told me buck. This ridge is only 200 yards long so at the end I walked 3/4 of the way straight up and zig zagged the upper one third back toward my truck. I caught sight of huge droppings on the down hill side of a huge pine. I looked at that area good and wouldnt you know it... I made out the very and I mean very subtle bed he was in, it was clear as day once I saw it . There was plenty of hair but only after getting on my hands and knees. He was bedded perfect with pine and wind to back on the upper 1/3. The ridge was perfectly leeward today. He was exactly down wind of the neighbors stand also and watching the bottom thick and apple trees, also had good visibility to his right. What's funny is he had limited visibility to his left. I dropped milkweed from all around the bed. The wind was def to his back but that thermal or variable wind was sucking air from his left also somehow. The exact area he couldn't see. That thing had his bases covered and then some to the point that I would think the deer can reason if I didn't know any better. Good to know this guy made it. Can't wait to see whats on his head next year.

Thanks I'm pretty excited about it. This is the first 100% confirmed mature buck bed I have found. I have others that I'm 90% sure of considering I've watched mature buck walk from these areas over the years. But now I have something to compare other beds to. I'm definitely looking for to much.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:02 am

BBH1980 wrote:
funderburk wrote:

Thanks I'm pretty excited about it. This is the first 100% confirmed mature buck bed I have found. I have others that I'm 90% sure of considering I've watched mature buck walk from these areas over the years. But now I have something to compare other beds to. I'm definitely looking for to much.

I've noticed this, as well. I can get so focused on finding a worn down bed than focusing on the surrounding environment, like thick backing, open view down below, wind situations, etc.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:36 am

funderburk wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
funderburk wrote:

I've noticed this, as well. I can get so focused on finding a worn down bed than focusing on the surrounding environment, like thick backing, open view down below, wind situations, etc.

Well I know for myself... I make it harder than what it really is.. I look in the spots that should have the mature buck bedding.. Spots that Dan talks about in the DVDS. If I dont see anything I keep looking in other lesser spots in the same area as opposed to just moving on. Listening to his Q&A podcast again this morning. He says if a mature buck is there hes going to be where he should be. If not its time to move on, and in areas with low mature deer as mentioned by another on this post it may be subtle. That's great advice I think.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:24 am

BBH1980 wrote:

Indeed. The world needs more of this.

Good luck in your quest!
----------
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:02 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:For me. It took longest to understand when its time to move on to another spot. Still of sitting and waiting needed to be looking and planning for next hunt. Instead of sitting for days on end.

This. For certain bedding areas and also properties in general.

You’re hunting an area where you’ve never found a shooter buck? Don’t stick with that property forever unless you know he’s right under your nose and you just haven’t found that last puzzle piece yet.

Ive had to move on from properties multiple times. I’m not sure why it used to bother me to give up on one. What was I worried about? The same exact result at a different property? ;)

To me there’s very little to lose and lots to gain. Keep scouting until you’ve got a bunch of properties and sets that you’re EXCITED to hunt.

And there’s certainly nothing wrong with giving a spot a break for a few years then coming back to reassess.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”