What’s so hard to understand?!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

First Sit

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby First Sit » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:11 am

If were talking pressured public well you have to want it. I mean really want it not just the idea of shooting a big buck. The guys that really want it are out there putting boots on the ground willing to drive 3 hrs for a day hunt. Those are the guys grinding it out even when it's tough hunting, the weather sucks, and they havent got much sleep. They cut no corners and the word no or compromise doesn't even exist to them. If you dont have the dedication to really want it then your success will reflect that.

First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:13 am

I would also agree with others is thinking you found a buck bed with a rub and you got it made that will burn you quite a bit.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:31 am

Lockdown wrote:If there is only 8” of snow and you’re not going to burn yourself out before the getting is good, I would speed scout. I’d hit up brand new properties and suspected bedding I’ve never been to on existing properties. That way you can get a good feel for what is going on, and can rule out bedding areas that are receiving too much hunting pressure. Being somewhat familiar with a property now is definitely an advantage when the snow melts.

I don’t think scouting is ever a total waste of time. With 8” of snow you can typically tell where trails and obvious beds are. If you’re paying close enough attention you could also find licking branches for scrapes.

The vast majority of the time I don’t pick my set ups the first time I walk into a bedding area anyway. I like to check it out first hand, then go home and make sense of it online. Then I go back and REALLY pick apart every bit of sign. I like to walk all the trails away from bedding, sometimes as far as 200 yards.

If a bedding area is giving me trouble I’ll go back a 3rd time. Even then I end up making a small adjustment the following year fairly often. Sometimes it’s 5 yards, sometimes it’s 40-50.

Thanks LD. Definitely not going to burn out. Longer scouts are merely the start of a better exercise regimen. ;)

The deeper examination of a place does help. Just not as solid on specific beds as I'd like. But between your comments and the recent Beast workshop, I definitely have better ideas about working around other hunters. And per your branch comment, I did find this:

I think what probably helped the most from your suggestions was that it might take more than one trip and some analysis in between trips. I would have liked to have nailed it all down first time out, but my gut say that didn't happen. Wasn't 100% sure on the quality of the sign (seemed small) either.

So appreciate the response. Helpful indeed.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:53 am

I would say try to keep your hunger to learn and improve. Even a skilled veteran has so much he can still learn or new tactics he can improve with. Never settle and always be a student. You can learn something from every hunt and every hunter so listen more than you talk. Make it a personal goal to improve your game in several different areas each year. Keep challenging yourself with new areas and new terrain or you will simply become good at hunting "your farm". I think most of the guys that really consistently get it done have a level of obsession and dedication that is hard to intentionally replicate. It's not a choice..it's just inside of them. They make their own luck and opportunities through hard work and preparation.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:58 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:I would say try to keep your hunger to learn and improve. Even a skilled veteran has so much he can still learn or new tactics he can improve with. Never settle and always be a student. You can learn something from every hunt and every hunter so listen more than you talk. Make it a personal goal to improve your game in several different areas each year. Keep challenging yourself with new areas and new terrain or you will simply become good at hunting "your farm". I think most of the guys that really consistently get it done have a level of obsession and dedication that is hard to intentionally replicate. It's not a choice..it's just inside of them. They make their own luck and opportunities through hard work and preparation.

Right on, brotha! We have to stay hungry for knowledge and practice humility by admitting we don't (and never will) know it all. When those are coupled with hard work and an unwavering confidence...well, that's a hard machine to stop 8-) Thanks for sharing, great words!
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:18 pm

I would also say not to be affraid to be aggresive. I would rather blow a hunt being to aggresive then sit back and just be a spectater. Like Dan and many of the great beasts have said. If your not bumping a few your not in the ball game.
stratocasterNJ

Unread postby stratocasterNJ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:10 pm

In my neck of the woods-EAST COAST- it's hard for hunters to understand that:
Big bucks are the smallest portion of the herd, but vital to spreading the genes they want to see in the herd.
Big bucks are where they are for a reason and understanding that is vital to successfully hunting him.
One man's idea of a big buck is vastly different from another's.
Hunting and killing are two totally different actions and hunting will take up a lot more time and there is no substitute for it.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:07 pm

JAK wrote:I would also say not to be affraid to be aggresive. I would rather blow a hunt being to aggresive then sit back and just be a spectater. Like Dan and many of the great beasts have said. If your not bumping a few your not in the ball game.

Had to experience this last year to truly understand it. It was ironic. I bumped the deer that morning and was excited about it :lol:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:16 am

funderburk wrote:
JAK wrote:I would also say not to be affraid to be aggresive. I would rather blow a hunt being to aggresive then sit back and just be a spectater. Like Dan and many of the great beasts have said. If your not bumping a few your not in the ball game.

Had to experience this last year to truly understand it. It was ironic. I bumped the deer that morning and was excited about it :lol:

It does seem counterintuitive at first, but I can see where you’re coming from... you know you’re in the game.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:34 am

greenhorndave wrote:
funderburk wrote:

It does seem counterintuitive at first, but I can see where you’re coming from... you know you’re in the game.

Exactly! Bumping that specific deer let me know that my target buck was exactly where my scouting had put him. I count that as a total win, because what I had learned was put into practice and was confirmed. Little wins over time make for a victory.

Now, I just need to learn to slow down and not step on sticks :lol:
Last edited by funderburk on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:35 am

Great attitude Mike. :clap:
----------
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:58 am

I don't have to be a veteran to tell you what I don't understand! I can not get a handle on buck bedding. This is my single biggest hurdle to overcome. This is by far not my only hurdle, however it is one that I am focusing on. One thing I have come to understand from THB is that I need to think out of the box, and be open to possibly hunting in some unconventional spots.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:55 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:I don't have to be a veteran to tell you what I don't understand! I can not get a handle on buck bedding. This is my single biggest hurdle to overcome. This is by far not my only hurdle, however it is one that I am focusing on. One thing I have come to understand from THB is that I need to think out of the box, and be open to possibly hunting in some unconventional spots.

Where in PA are you? Been struggling a bit myself on some of the properties I hunt. I have 2 areas that I know the biggest buck on the property come from but when I scout it there's nothing that really stands out. The terrain and cover makes sense but I'm not seeing the actual beds. I'm going to have to sit a ton of observation stands pre season. Rolling farm.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:52 am

I'm in swpa but I hunt the and quite a bit too. I've started to see bigger bucks just in the year that I've found thb but I'm really struggling to find beds. I'm still going to be behind this year as well, as I'll have little to no winter scouting. The terrain I'm in is rolling hills/ steep WV hills on the panhandle, with a little farm country sprinkled in. Things I have a few areas narrowed down, but can't find the actual beds, I have found doe bedding, as in 5/6 beds in a circle-ish pattern, I just don't know how to translate any of those into usable recon for a buck bed......
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:38 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:I'm in swpa but I hunt the and quite a bit too. I've started to see bigger bucks just in the year that I've found thb but I'm really struggling to find beds. I'm still going to be behind this year as well, as I'll have little to no winter scouting. The terrain I'm in is rolling hills/ steep WV hills on the panhandle, with a little farm country sprinkled in. Things I have a few areas narrowed down, but can't find the actual beds, I have found doe bedding, as in 5/6 beds in a circle-ish pattern, I just don't know how to translate any of those into usable recon for a buck bed......

Northeast here. And yeah having same things. Plenty of doe beds but bucks are an issue for me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”