first destination food and edible bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

first destination food and edible bedding

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:39 am

we all know when we target buck beds we are trying too put ourselves between bedding location and destination food source. but what if you in big woods and the mast crop ridge or agriculture fields are a mile away. then what? this is when understanding brows and what time of year deer target specific plants comes into play. for hunting on the east coast targeting lowlands river bottoms and swamps are normally the most productive early season spots but why are the deer there? the deer are there because of the food in and around bedding they are using. for me September means shaded spice bush swamps that have a healthy blend of jewel weed and stinging nettle. common spice bush is a natural repellent for mosquitoes when you crush the leaves and release the aroma. the deer also eat these bushes my theory is the plants getting in the deers blood stream the mosquitoes bite them get a bad taste and leave them alone. spice bush also grows just above water line so its consistent dry ground for most of the time. because the deer browse the bush they clear the bottom half of bush out at deer level. this gives them a good line of sight when bedded in it and shaded overhead cover from the heat. also there tends to be nothing but bare dirt under the spice bushes. this gives them cool ground too lay on in the heat and no place for bugs too hide that they will kick up while walking around. the hotter the weather the more deer will be in these spots because of the natural micro climate it produces.

now hear is the first detonation food source you need too target too kill these deer before they go off too there primary food sources at night. jewel weed and stinging nettle and poison ivy. along the edge of spice bush patches these three plants flourish in the the more open canopy mature low land hard woods. if you walk this edge you will see trails exiting and defined brows line threw these three plants. you can hop down this edge and target every trail in a line too you connect. dont hunt right on the edges of these locations remember the deer can see clear threw the spice bushes and at the edge and most of the bucks will be bedded on the edge. i scout these spots mid summer before rain storms. then i setup about 100 too 150 yards back on the trails from the edge any closer and i feel i get picked out buy the deer in most situations. and plus its early and a mature bucks on a summer pattern and will move farther in day light sometimes even an hour or two before dark. the best places too hunt have all three plants. this is why jewel weed stops the sting from nettle and prevents the oils of poison ivy from making a rash. its like a base too a acid and counteracts and neutralizes the effects. jewel weed is also full of water so it eliminates the need for deer too drink. this whole pattern will stay going until the green is fully brown and the leaves have fallen off the spice bushes and the food is all gone. so you can get up tight on these edges and hunt for rut bucks with this too.

Hill country patterns i use i like targeting clear cuts and areas where i find major blow downs. the big driving plant in these areas is black berry poles deer cant get enough of them after brown up and they stay green all the way into December. i like getting in these areas in mornings on down wind edges of the transition lines and sit right on the bedding when bucks are active with does and scrapes. normally right around last week of October for me. i hunt the thickest most nasty ones i find normally this is where the big bucks set up shop for pre rut when some of them move out of the swamps or drop out of the big mountains. if im not hunting this im hunting laurel and rhododendron doing the same thing concentrating on exit trails from the bedding and the transition line in mornings. im looking for the trails with the brows lines and sign, and i setup just like the spice bush bedding.

late season i focus on rhododendron and laurel and pine cedar and hemlock overhead if its available in the area im hunting i continue the same pattern hunting bucks on the edge. i only go in deeper if i need too get closer too a buck thats bedded in the interior.

basically these are my 3 main focal points threw out my season and hold the most consistent patterns. some years i may hunt certain ones more but its only dictated buy bucks im targeting nothing else. if anybody has other brows they target before primary food sources threw out the season in different areas feel free too add in too first destination food sources and edible bedding.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
checkerfred
500 Club

Re: first destination food and edible bedding

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:57 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:we all know when we target buck beds we are trying too put ourselves between bedding location and destination food source. but what if you in big woods and the mast crop ridge or agriculture fields are a mile away. then what? this is when understanding brows and what time of year deer target specific plants comes into play. for hunting on the east coast targeting lowlands river bottoms and swamps are normally the most productive early season spots but why are the deer there? the deer are there because of the food in and around bedding they are using. for me September means shaded spice bush swamps that have a healthy blend of jewel weed and stinging nettle. common spice bush is a natural repellent for mosquitoes when you crush the leaves and release the aroma. the deer also eat these bushes my theory is the plants getting in the deers blood stream the mosquitoes bite them get a bad taste and leave them alone. spice bush also grows just above water line so its consistent dry ground for most of the time. because the deer browse the bush they clear the bottom half of bush out at deer level. this gives them a good line of sight when bedded in it and shaded overhead cover from the heat. also there tends to be nothing but bare dirt under the spice bushes. this gives them cool ground too lay on in the heat and no place for bugs too hide that they will kick up while walking around. the hotter the weather the more deer will be in these spots because of the natural micro climate it produces.

now hear is the first detonation food source you need too target too kill these deer before they go off too there primary food sources at night. jewel weed and stinging nettle and poison ivy. along the edge of spice bush patches these three plants flourish in the the more open canopy mature low land hard woods. if you walk this edge you will see trails exiting and defined brows line threw these three plants. you can hop down this edge and target every trail in a line too you connect. dont hunt right on the edges of these locations remember the deer can see clear threw the spice bushes and at the edge and most of the bucks will be bedded on the edge. i scout these spots mid summer before rain storms. then i setup about 100 too 150 yards back on the trails from the edge any closer and i feel i get picked out buy the deer in most situations. and plus its early and a mature bucks on a summer pattern and will move farther in day light sometimes even an hour or two before dark. the best places too hunt have all three plants. this is why jewel weed stops the sting from nettle and prevents the oils of poison ivy from making a rash. its like a base too a acid and counteracts and neutralizes the effects. jewel weed is also full of water so it eliminates the need for deer too drink. this whole pattern will stay going until the green is fully brown and the leaves have fallen off the spice bushes and the food is all gone. so you can get up tight on these edges and hunt for rut bucks with this too.

Hill country patterns i use i like targeting clear cuts and areas where i find major blow downs. the big driving plant in these areas is black berry poles deer cant get enough of them after brown up and they stay green all the way into December. i like getting in these areas in mornings on down wind edges of the transition lines and sit right on the bedding when bucks are active with does and scrapes. normally right around last week of October for me. i hunt the thickest most nasty ones i find normally this is where the big bucks set up shop for pre rut when some of them move out of the swamps or drop out of the big mountains. if im not hunting this im hunting laurel and rhododendron doing the same thing concentrating on exit trails from the bedding and the transition line in mornings. im looking for the trails with the brows lines and sign, and i setup just like the spice bush bedding.

late season i focus on rhododendron and laurel and pine cedar and hemlock overhead if its available in the area im hunting i continue the same pattern hunting bucks on the edge. i only go in deeper if i need too get closer too a buck thats bedded in the interior.

basically these are my 3 main focal points threw out my season and hold the most consistent patterns. some years i may hunt certain ones more but its only dictated buy bucks im targeting nothing else. if anybody has other brows they target before primary food sources threw out the season in different areas feel free too add in too first destination food sources and edible bedding.

So in the hills, are you hunting the laurel and rhodendron on the leeward side? I always see it growing on the side of the hills and bottoms, never the top, so would you hunt below the 1/3rd elevation on the edge of it? Or setup just outside of it or even in it?

Do you find them browsing on the laurel and rhodendron? I can’t say that I’ve seen them eat it but maybe I’ve not looked close enough.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:29 pm

checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:we all know when we target buck beds we are trying too put ourselves between bedding location and destination food source. but what if you in big woods and the mast crop ridge or agriculture fields are a mile away. then what? this is when understanding brows and what time of year deer target specific plants comes into play. for hunting on the east coast targeting lowlands river bottoms and swamps are normally the most productive early season spots but why are the deer there? the deer are there because of the food in and around bedding they are using. for me September means shaded spice bush swamps that have a healthy blend of jewel weed and stinging nettle. common spice bush is a natural repellent for mosquitoes when you crush the leaves and release the aroma. the deer also eat these bushes my theory is the plants getting in the deers blood stream the mosquitoes bite them get a bad taste and leave them alone. spice bush also grows just above water line so its consistent dry ground for most of the time. because the deer browse the bush they clear the bottom half of bush out at deer level. this gives them a good line of sight when bedded in it and shaded overhead cover from the heat. also there tends to be nothing but bare dirt under the spice bushes. this gives them cool ground too lay on in the heat and no place for bugs too hide that they will kick up while walking around. the hotter the weather the more deer will be in these spots because of the natural micro climate it produces.

So in the hills, are you hunting the laurel and rhodendron on the leeward side? I always see it growing on the side of the hills and bottoms, never the top, so would you hunt below the 1/3rd elevation on the edge of it? Or setup just outside of it or even in it?

Do you find them browsing on the laurel and rhodendron? I can’t say that I’ve seen them eat it but maybe I’ve not looked close enough.
https://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48905&p=746880&hilit=mountain+laurel#p746880 this is the one you want for mountain laurel
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:37 pm

Astute observations there ghost.

Down south early season kudzo, and honey suckle found on hillsides. ragweed, poke berry, greenbrier, and partridge pea are all key.

In the bottomland persimmons are king early season. Blackberrys and a forbe that grows in the bottoms with a hallow stem, I’m not sure the name, but they eat it heavily.

Scarlett and northern red oaks drop first here beginning about oct 1st. Unless you run into a sawtooth oak. They drop right around the opener sept 15th. Followed by the white oaks and swamp chestnut oaks around oct 15th.

Mid November after most of those acorns are gone live oak, southern red oak, water oak, and willow oak grab their attention. Live oaks and water oaks are preferred.

Late season dec. 10- Jan 1st they will get back in the honey suckle because it stays green all year as well as locust pods. I’ve killed a lot of deer eating locust pods. You find them around old house places which are usually at the top of hills. Aka the bedding is usually close by.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:53 am

Greenbriar is like deer candy. That along with blackberry and raspberry are the most preferred browse I see in this area. Pokeweed gets hammered wherever it grows too.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:51 am

elk yinzer wrote:Greenbriar is like deer candy. That along with blackberry and raspberry are the most preferred browse I see in this area. Pokeweed gets hammered wherever it grows too.

Elk, you're talking the berry leaves?

PS - another great post GH. We don't have spice bush in WI, but according to USDA, we do have jewel weed. I'll educate myself on identifying it in spring.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:59 am

greenhorndave wrote:
elk yinzer wrote:Greenbriar is like deer candy. That along with blackberry and raspberry are the most preferred browse I see in this area. Pokeweed gets hammered wherever it grows too.

PS - another great post GH. We don't have spice bush in WI, but according to USDA, we do have jewel weed. I'll educate myself on identifying it in spring.

Blackberry and black raspberries brambles, yes. As with any browse they tend to eat the young tender shoots and leaves. You'll see noticeable evidence where deer have them trimmed back.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:05 am

Gotcha. I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:50 pm

Good stuff. Being new I really cant add anything that I know will 100% work effectively but I have 3 basic areas near me. Rolling farm, big hill, and swamp to hunt. So my plan is to set lots of observation posts on the farm to see if I can identify a mature bucks pattern then move in when the timing is right. In the big hills I plan to use drainage ditches to access and scout my way along the edges of laurel on the leeward slope checking for dropping acorns along with fresh rubs, droppings and or scrapes, I was going to check for tracks in the ditches as I go that may clue me in to where they are watering, I will also look for this sign on benches or flatter areas that lead into extremely steep leeward terrain, in the swamps basically what you said but scouting my way in further from the transition and look for those same things I am looking for in the hills... Acorns or falling apples. I have noticed with the beds I am finding on the farm I hunt its nearly impossible to scout my way in due to the fact that the deer are bedded to watch their food sources and or human access. I still have yet to find what I think is a good mature buck bedding area in hills and swamp but I haven't spent much time scouting the swamp area yet. If I do find this I can then formulate a plan to target that bedding area for when I think that buck is going to be there. Till I can build a good amount of beds to hunt this is going to be my plan. If anyone has any advice or anything to add I am all ears! Love learning from everyone on here!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Good stuff ghoasthunter.. a few years back I found a jewel weed patch that was getting browsed heavily in summer. At the time I didn’t know the name of it. I put up a trail cam . I think got got every deer in the section stopping by to get a bite. There was corn, soybeans , and hay in this section. They wanted the jewel weed
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:13 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Good stuff ghoasthunter.. a few years back I found a jewel weed patch that was getting browsed heavily in summer. At the time I didn’t know the name of it. I put up a trail cam . I think got got every deer in the section stopping by to get a bite. There was corn, soybeans , and hay in this section. They wanted the jewel weed

Jmaas.and I were talking about jewel weed this past summer and how it gets hammered here during summer and early fall months. Highly preferred food source for sure. Friend of mine has video after video of bucks hitting it during the summer.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:12 pm

wickedbruiser wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Good stuff ghoasthunter.. a few years back I found a jewel weed patch that was getting browsed heavily in summer. At the time I didn’t know the name of it. I put up a trail cam . I think got got every deer in the section stopping by to get a bite. There was corn, soybeans , and hay in this section. They wanted the jewel weed

Jmaas.and I were talking about jewel weed this past summer and how it gets hammered here during summer and early fall months. Highly preferred food source for sure. Friend of mine has video after video of bucks hitting it during the summer.

im pretty sure its edible for humans too. its the water content for deer they dont need too seek out water in summer when its present. its a good destination food on extremely hot days. hunting public had a scouting video on horse grass its the same idea.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:25 pm

elk yinzer wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Blackberry and black raspberries brambles, yes. As with any browse they tend to eat the young tender shoots and leaves. You'll see noticeable evidence where deer have them trimmed back.

i see alot of deer pick up on them right around first frost too deer really like them when they wrinkle up for some reason maybe more sugar or something with change in flavor
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:28 pm

BBH1980 wrote:

Good stuff. Being new I really cant add anything that I know will 100% work effectively but I have 3 basic areas near me. Rolling farm, big hill, and swamp to hunt. So my plan is to set lots of observation posts on the farm to see if I can identify a mature bucks pattern then move in when the timing is right. In the big hills I plan to use drainage ditches to access and scout my way along the edges of laurel on the leeward slope checking for dropping acorns along with fresh rubs, droppings and or scrapes, I was going to check for tracks in the ditches as I go that may clue me in to where they are watering, I will also look for this sign on benches or flatter areas that lead into extremely steep leeward terrain, in the swamps basically what you said but scouting my way in further from the transition and look for those same things I am looking for in the hills... Acorns or falling apples. I have noticed with the beds I am finding on the farm I hunt its nearly impossible to scout my way in due to the fact that the deer are bedded to watch their food sources and or human access. I still have yet to find what I think is a good mature buck bedding area in hills and swamp but I haven't spent much time scouting the swamp area yet. If I do find this I can then formulate a plan to target that bedding area for when I think that buck is going to be there. Till I can build a good amount of beds to hunt this is going to be my plan. If anyone has any advice or anything to add I am all ears! Love learning from everyone on here!

if you find that browsing the beds wont be far 8-) closer you are too bedding the more concentrated it will be.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:42 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:

if you find that browsing the beds wont be far 8-) closer you are too bedding the more concentrated it will be.

I was gonna check out the PGC web site for what deer browse on in my area and how to ID it. That's one thing I don't know a lot about. I know dogwood and how to ID it. But other than that that just basic foods like acorns and apples.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”