Anyone still pick a climber?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Billdogge

Anyone still pick a climber?

Unread postby Billdogge » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:14 am

Any of you pick a climber over the other mobile options? Just curious.

Thanks
Bill

Just get in the woods and HUNT!
Drenalin
500 Club

Re: Anyone still pick a climber?

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:19 am

I hunt out of either a Lone Wolf Hand Climber or a Summit Goliath, depending. I haven't been limited by it in my area, but if getting into the right tree becomes an issue, I'd make the switch in a heartbeat.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:28 am

I got an Assault and sticks in the middle of last season, my Summit Open Shot was used once after getting them.
I plan to keep my Summit for areas that it works in because it is more comfortable to sit in.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:46 am

nothing wrong with a climber if you have trees that it works with where you hunt. with practice you can get up a tree with the same stealth. the most important thing is hunting close too bedding at the end of the day.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:43 am

I'm one of the odd balls here, but hey, it's America :roll: :shhh:

I prefer my Summit OpenShot over the Lone Wolf...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:51 am

If the tree I am going to allows for a climber and its going to be a long sit....Summit is on my back

When I scout and make waypoints...I note what stand is needed. Summit is just way more comfortable for long sits
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:10 am

I rarely pack my climber anymore. I find that I'm heading to a spot that a climber would work and end up kicking myself because the sign tells me I should have had my hang on. I should probably just sell my lone wolf. :think:
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:18 am

backstraps wrote:If the tree I am going to allows for a climber and its going to be a long sit....Summit is on my back

When I scout and make waypoints...I note what stand is needed. Summit is just way more comfortable for long sits

I do the same...I have noticed that the climber isnt suitable in a lot of spots I pick but I still have it in my
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:19 am

Long Sits = Summit Viper.

Comfort can't be beat.... Hardest part about being in it is staying awake... It's like a recliner.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:18 am

I keep my Sit and Climb, just in case. I usually end up using it a couple of times a year. 2018 was an exception. The right tree never presented itself, so the old climber never left the hanger.
Steelhead125
Facebook: Bruce Kozielec

Unread postby Steelhead125 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:30 am

I still only use a climber but definitely have situations where climbing sticks and a hang on will get me into spots I really like. Eventually I plan on buying a hang on and sticks I just wish they weren’t so expensive. With four young children my household is on a pretty tight budget. Pulling $500.00 out of our budget on a good setup isnt something my wife would be very happy about. Every year there is something I need to buy hunting related and this year my big purchases will be on more arrows and a new bow sight. My eye sight isn’t what it once was and I can tell it’s effecting my shooting. I have been using a cheap truglo for well over a decade and the glare and cluttered sight picture can’t be overcome with my deteriorating vision.
Public Land Hunter
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:08 am

Depends on the situation. I like to have all options available. If I know the exact tree I'm headed to and it will accept a climber I will pack it in. Especially for long sits a climber is much more comfortable than a hang on. I probably use my climbers on average 5-6 sits in a season.
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:18 am

I'm trying to transition into a more hardcore hunter. But right now, I much prefer my Summit Viper over any hang-and-hunt stands I have--including my saddle.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:33 am

Abishai wrote:I'm trying to transition into a more hardcore hunter. But right now, I much prefer my Summit Viper over any hang-and-hunt stands I have--including my saddle.

I killed a lot of bucks out of a Summit Viper. Your not any less of a hardcore hunter because you use a climber. Whatever works best for you is the right system to use. There is no right or wrong way to do it.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:34 am

I use the Summit Viper climber. I like it, and we have plenty of trees for it in Ohio.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”