Anyone still pick a climber?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uplander

Re: Anyone still pick a climber?

Unread postby Uplander » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:11 am

I have a Loggy Bayou climber, it's kind of bulky. I use it when I stay close to camp and want to change it up from my fixed stands. I just ordered a Wild Edge Run N' Gun combo and going to set up a saddle to do some deep woods hunting at Shawnee State wilderness Area.

cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:49 am

mauser06 wrote:The viper footprint walking in is a killer. The hollow aluminum and the cables...and 90% of the time the fit between the sections work loose...might as well wear bells on your boots.

I agree and that is one of the primary reasons I will own a saddle next year.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:41 pm

I am a mobile hunter and still am able to find a tree in tight and thick most times even if I’m only climbing 8/10 ft with it. My stand and sticks is always in my truck as well tho
Chasingdinner
Facebook: www.facebook.com/chasingdinner

Unread postby Chasingdinner » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:46 am

My Open Shot is about 4-5lb lighter than my sticks and Lone Wolf, but carry's way more awkward due to the bulk of it not collapsing. On flat ground its no problem, but rocky hill sides really suck.
That said, most of my areas have plenty of climbable trees and I end up carrying it any time I know there is tree I can get into. It's more comfortable, faster up the tree and just easier to deal with once I am to the spot than stands and sticks (which still have a major role to play in my hunting toolbox) Now I am trying to figure out if the new squeak in the climber is cable or seat related. Only started after the last cold front came through.
Soon I will be throwing a saddle into the mix to compare with the other ways of hunting out of a tree and I have a feeling the climber might see a lot less action in the hills.
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:44 am

My first stand was a summit viper, my second stand was a LW hand climber, my third stand a LW alpha hang on, fourth stand is a LW assault hang on.

Viper: Although comfortable, WAY too bulky.

Hand climber: too limited on trees, loud when climbing pines.

LW alpha: good, but bulky

LW assault: perfect for me. I sit in this stand about 6 hours no problem, plenty comfortable for me.

May consider a saddle next to try. Really like the idea of losing more weight.
dskol89

Unread postby dskol89 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:57 am

I love hunting out of my summit, but here lately I’ve had some interest in other mobile setups. More than likely I’ll end up buying a good portable stand or saddle and a set of sticks and add that to my .
Last edited by dskol89 on Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:01 am

LW Flip Top, love it
novahunter

Unread postby novahunter » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:11 am

Used to hunt a lot out of my Summit open-shot until I got a saddle. Haven't used it since, so many more trees I can use with the saddle.
Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:26 am

Billdogge wrote:Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to be looking at a hang on this year. I'm a big guy (6'5" and 350) so I'm thinking lone wolf is the way to go.

350 lbs. is the weight rating on the LW sticks.
He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:09 am

A climber used to be my preferred method of hunting. I tried the Lone Wolf and it killed my back. I now use a JX3 Hybrid. It has the comfort of a Summit Viper with the flexibility of a Lone Wolf.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”