Anyone still pick a climber?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Re: Anyone still pick a climber?

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:58 am

I used my climber exclusively last year. I have a summit open shot, with that I also took a minimalist approach to using the climber just as the saddle guys do. I did not want to carry any extra gear or bags so anything that I could not attach to my stand I didn't take.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:18 am

I used my lone wolf hand climber one time last year. Every other time I used the assualt 2 and stick's . I'll definitely be keeping my climber, if the tree I need to be in will work with a climber that's what I'll use anything else it's the loc on
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:45 pm

I might be going back to the climber. This last season was my first season with sticks and hang-on and it was alot of work for me. Something about it I couldn't get accustomed to. Maybe not for me??
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:10 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I might be going back to the climber. This last season was my first season with sticks and hang-on and it was alot of work for me. Something about it I couldn't get accustomed to. Maybe not for me??

The more u do it the easier it gets. Hardest part for me is gettin stand on tree. But i just got a bracket for that. But in a nutshell if i know for sure i can use a climber i will.
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:17 pm

I sold my summit the day I got my LW. I feel more comfortable in my LW than my summit.
JWandling
Facebook: Jason Wandling

Unread postby JWandling » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:24 pm

I use multiple stands every year including hang on and climber. I have a 12 pound X Stand that’s very nice to pack around but that’s about it. It’s the most uncomfortable and hard to climb stand ever made. I chose to use my all steel 30 pound summit this year packing at least 1 mile one way. I just bought a set of lone wolf sticks and I’m getting a lone wolf hang on soon.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:58 pm

Still love mine but have and xop and a lone wolf and sticks when needed. The lock on gives me way more options however the comfort of my climber can’t be beat. Both are safe if used properly.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:01 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:I'm one of the odd balls here, but hey, it's America :roll: :shhh:

I prefer my Summit OpenShot over the Lone Wolf...

Hey. That offends me. :lol:
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:06 pm

Ended up getting a LW hang-on set up last year and it’s like I have brand new eyes when I’m lookin for trees now. It’s awesome. Didn’t truly understand how limited I was with a climber until I got my LW. I do think a climber can get it done in the right spots, but like Dan has said, I’m hunting mature bucks, not straight and limbless trees. My LW set up can go up ANY tree that can support my weight. My climber, not so much. To me, a hang-on set up just knocks down one more barrier that could possibly get in the way of a kill.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
backstrap19

Unread postby backstrap19 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:31 pm

sticks and hang on are far more versatile. they are also quieter. i'm toying with the idea of a saddle this year also. however, if i know the tree i'm heading for, and my summit viper will fit in it, i will take that. how can you not enjoy a recliner in a tree?? the comfort level is hard to argue against. haha. if i do not know the tree i need to be in, i take the lone wolf.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:58 am

backstrap19 wrote:sticks and hang on are far more versatile. they are also quieter. i'm toying with the idea of a saddle this year also. however, if i know the tree i'm heading for, and my summit viper will fit in it, i will take that. how can you not enjoy a recliner in a tree?? the comfort level is hard to argue against. haha. if i do not know the tree i need to be in, i take the lone wolf.

I disagree that climbers are less quiet than a hang on. I have gotten very good at getting in the tree and to my hunting height quietly, to the point where I've had deer come past mid climb. Versatility varies from region to region. A guy with a good climber can go anywhere a guy can with the hang on. It's really just a preference on which one you use, I do like my climber because it is simply less to deal with. Now, I have not hunted with a saddle yet, this will be my first year but I can already imagine that I will incorporate this into my setups do to the fact that you can't possibly best the versatility of being able to shoot 360° in a tree, not to mention the weight savings!
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:34 am

thepennsylvanian wrote: A guy with a good climber can go anywhere a guy can with the hang on.

In theory yes, but it just isn't feasible to get a climber up a tree with branches below hunting height. I hunt almost exclusively out of a Hawk climber, and I have definitely been hampered by having to find a straight, limbless tree to safely get to hunting height. When I look at tree selection and weight reduction, sticks or WE stepps and a saddle or lock on are more attractive.
Gregkrause

Unread postby Gregkrause » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:09 am

I’ll still sit 70 or so sits a season in a climber. We have gone of good climbing trees in most areas and it’s lighter/easier for me to get 30’+ in areas where I have little cover. I still use and hang on and sticks a handful of times a season and killed 2 mature bow bucks with hang and hunt sits this year. I do a few things to make my climber a little more versatile though. Like what I show in this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EsF3ZsW0rPM
Billdogge

Unread postby Billdogge » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:32 am

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to be looking at a hang on this year. I'm a big guy (6'5" and 350) so I'm thinking lone wolf is the way to go.
Just get in the woods and HUNT!
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:39 am

IndyDawg wrote:
thepennsylvanian wrote: A guy with a good climber can go anywhere a guy can with the hang on.

In theory yes, but it just isn't feasible to get a climber up a tree with branches below hunting height. I hunt almost exclusively out of a Hawk climber, and I have definitely been hampered by having to find a straight, limbless tree to safely get to hunting height. When I look at tree selection and weight reduction, sticks or WE stepps and a saddle or lock on are more attractive.

Again I do agree with what you are saying. when we are talking whitetail country in general, the hang on would be the more versatile choice do to the fact tree availability varies from region to region, the quote you got from me should have read "in my area, a guy with a good climber can go anywhere....." As the majority of the trees where I hunt are cherry, maple, walnut, ash, locust and evergreen(in groves) they "typically" grow straight, but areas like some of the swamps Dan hunts you don't have that luxury, you take what ever tree is available and more often than not it's not a perfect limbless straight tree!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”