Buck vs. Doe bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BBH1980

Buck vs. Doe bedding

Unread postby BBH1980 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:40 am

What have you found to be the best way to tell the difference between buck and doe bedding? I know a rub tree directly in the beds are a good give away, but what are the general differences between the two? I am in hill and rolling farm country.

Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Re: Buck vs. Doe bedding

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:04 pm

Does will bed in half or full circles. They watch from all angles. They don’t bed wind to back as much as mature bucks. Does will bed in buck beds if a buck ain’t using it though.

Most guys find doe beds if I had to guess or night beds. They tend to bed in more open areas where they can see. Mature buck bedding stands out because it’s as close to billet proof as can be as far as bedding is concealed. Doe bedding not so much.
Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Buck vs. Doe bedding

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:29 am

Around here doe beds don't seem to be as well worn as buck beds. Buck beds tend to show repeated use and are generally well worn. Also if you stand back, look around, and think about it the buck beds seem to to be based on security. Either by the wind, cover, visibility, or all three. One of the buck beds we found last weekend was just off the edge of narrow ridgetop. Laying there he could smell from behind him, if anything could come from behind, it was steep. He could see well enough in front of him to know if anything was down there and it was thick so he could be there but not exposed but hear anything that was coming towards him from any direction. It was wore to the dirt from repeated use and less than 20 yards away was a few rubs.

If you followed the narrow ridgetop (20' wide) about 75 yards to the south, it joined another ridge and a finger led down to the draw beneath the ridgeline. The woods was fairly open on that finger and we found more beds. They were clustered together in a 20 yard circle. These were doe beds. It almost seems doe bedding is more for comfort with security not as intense as a buck.

The doe beds I find are not singles (most of the time) but 2, 3, or more together. Does aren't as anal about being hidden as bucks are.

And I say all this generally speaking. all behavior is not 100% for sure. It will vary. But over time this is how it seems to me.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”