Saddle Hunting Safety and Tether Setup

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tundra

Re: Saddle Hunting Safety and Tether Setup

Unread postby tundra » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:39 pm

One thing I would like to explore, is why you chose to use a saddle? Why does Dan use a stand and sticks instead of a saddle, if your looking for the less weight,,,,, I was just curious so Dan if you read this, give us your choice and why, since so many of us respect your opinion. And of course others on here, why the saddle, compared to the hang on? thanks in advance

clint6760

Unread postby clint6760 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Reasons I chose a saddle over hang on:
1. Safer- hated wearing tree stand harness and almost never did to be honest. Now I’m connected the whole time. When I started nobody was using rock climbing harnesses or lifelines.
2. Less weight
3. Less chance of making of noise walking through brush
4. Nothing left in tree to steal
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:02 pm

clint explain to me, how you are hooked up, the whole time,when leaving the ground? thanks
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:22 pm

tundra wrote:clint explain to me, how you are hooked up, the whole time,when leaving the ground? thanks

I can only answer for myself but I run a lineman's rope crossed in front of me around the tree while climbing... When I am to hunting height I cinch my tether to the tree... hook into my bridge then disconnect the linemans. Safety was the main reason I switched 10 years ago. I can carry my tree stand in my cargo pocket lol.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:38 pm

thanks for the explanation,,,, I am not the sharpest tack in the box,,,,, I just did find a good u tube video on what you explained, now I get it,,,,

what are you using for a platform? do you use those squirrel steps, that I see on line?

With this system, I will have my sticks on my pack, my saddle inside my pack, will drop a lot of weight,,,,,,,,

Which one do you recommend, and do I buy on line?
FL Marsh

Unread postby FL Marsh » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:11 am

I'm 4 weeks in on my Saddle and Platform order, 2 more weeks and it should be in! I have everything ready, I think I have established by climbing stick carrying method with the pack I have, it will allow me to strap 3 or 4 sticks on and be secure and quiet.

When the saddle comes in i'll be ready to jump in a tree at ground level and get comfortable and practice shooting. I have my tether setup ready. I'm pretty excited and should have all summer to spend time in the saddle and work out any bugs and get it to where I'm comfortable in the tree for 5hrs or so.

Setup is hopefully as follows.

Saddle - 1-lb
Tether - 0.25lb estimate
Lineman's - 0.25lb estimate
Platform - 3.0lb
Sticks - 9.0lbs
Misc gear - 3-4lbs estimate

Total in the range of 16-17lbs or so, plus bow/gun.

I'm sure as I fine tune my setup and explore more of the alternative climbing methods such as Cranford steps maybe utilizing an aider. Could eliminate a lot of weight from my climbing sticks.

But for now I already own sticks, and like them so i'll utilize those for now and probably all next hunting season.

Thanks for all the help and information guys.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:26 am

that's a lot of weight,,,,, my present stand and sticks are not that much, but it sounds like your all set up,,, good luck
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:15 am

tundra wrote:that's a lot of weight,,,,, my present stand and sticks are not that much, but it sounds like your all set up,,, good luck

Your stand and sticks combined are less than 12 pounds?
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:10 am

Well my M7 comes in at 7.8lbs on my scale, and I use 2 xop sticks that is 5lbs..... I use 2 strap on steps in my vest,,,, yep that's it, so I have what 12 lbs on my back,,,,,,,,

My xop comes in at 11 and adding the sticks comes to 16........

Maybe I am wrong will have to see what them saddles actually weigh,,,,
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:19 am

tundra wrote:thanks for the explanation,,,, I am not the sharpest tack in the box,,,,, I just did find a good u tube video on what you explained, now I get it,,,,

what are you using for a platform? do you use those squirrel steps, that I see on line?

With this system, I will have my sticks on my pack, my saddle inside my pack, will drop a lot of weight,,,,,,,,

Which one do you recommend, and do I buy on line?

I was using lone wolf sticks and a bullman platform... This year I bought a set of 10 WE steps.. love them. I am going to use them and an aider, I can get to 28' (never usually go that high) with 8 steps. For the platform I am gonna buy the WE perch. So my whole system should be around 9 or 10 pounds. Thats the saddle and everything I need to get in the tree. I am in big hill country so every pound counts. lol. Are you asking about a pack?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:02 am

I choose a saddle for the following reasons:

1) light weight
2) fits in a daypack - pocket
3) easier set up for run and gun and can be used in more trees
4) for me it is far easier to shoot from (I shot trad)
5) I can hide behind the tree until its time to shoot
6) I can get true 360 shooting
7) much quieter than a traditional stand setting up
8) and surprisingly - I find them far easier on the back than traditional stands - I can actually pull off all days sits in them - in a stand that killed my back.

They may be more but that's what initially came to my mind.
clint6760

Unread postby clint6760 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:54 pm

tundra wrote:clint explain to me, how you are hooked up, the whole time,when leaving the ground? thanks

I mostly either climb a tree with a lone wolf hand climber top or climb with one stick. In both cases you have to sit in the saddle while climbing and using your tether the whole time. There is no way to fall out of the saddle so totally safe.

With my preset hang one that I still have hung, I just normally climb the tree and sit without being attached to anything. Dumb I know and that’s why I have quit using anything besides the saddle.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”