Nastiest beds you have seen for a buck to get to?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Weaver.b

Nastiest beds you have seen for a buck to get to?

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:54 am

The terrain where I hunt is what I would call a 50-50 between swamp and marsh. There is alot of flooded timber mixed with marsh vegetation and even open water. Doing more in depth aerial scouting lately I have used google earth to get a better look with the history feature. This feature has revealed that there is alot more open water than you realize. I do see where there are some small islands and high spots out in this open water and it made me wonder if a buck would actually bed somewhere he has to literally swim to and from. What are some of the nastiest areas that you have found buck bedding and thought how in the heck is he bedding here. Honestly some of the areas I am referring to would be insane if I found beds there.

When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
Weaver.b

Re: Nastiest beds you have seen for a buck to get to?

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:58 am

Here is an example picture of one of the areas. I have walked a decent amount of the dry ground and there is some decent sign but I havent gone as far as getting in the middle of the nastiest parts yet.

When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:22 am

Depending on pressure, I would have to say yes. I hunt marsh/swamp and if there is dry ground surrounded by water there is usually beds.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:36 am

Deer swim... No problem.... In fact I'm sure if you dig on here you will find videos of deer swimming. I think it happens more often than we all think.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:44 am

There are a lot of oxbows on that river’s banks that I’d check out. Bucks love to bed on/in them.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:55 am

strutnrut716 wrote:Deer swim... No problem.... In fact I'm sure if you dig on here you will find videos of deer swimming. I think it happens more often than we all think.

I watched a big buck swim back and forth multiple times to an island in the middle of 300 acre northwoods lake. Bedding doesn’t get anymore secure than that. Also know of a doe that swims over 20 feet of water to another island to give birth to fawns every spring. She did that three years in a row that I noticed and even had triplets one time. No worry about wolves out there. Most of the marsh bucks I killed had legs that were black with marsh muck past their knees and bellies wet from coming out of deep water bedding islands. Deer aren’t afraid of water. Most hunters and predators are and the deer know that.
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:57 am

Dewey wrote:
strutnrut716 wrote:Deer swim... No problem.... In fact I'm sure if you dig on here you will find videos of deer swimming. I think it happens more often than we all think.

I watched a big buck swim back and forth multiple times to an island in the middle of 300 acre northwoods lake. Bedding doesn’t get anymore secure than that. Also know of a doe that swims over 20 feet of water to another island to give birth to fawns every spring. She did that three years in a row that I noticed and even had triplets one time. No worry about wolves out there. Most of the marsh bucks I killed had legs that were black with marsh muck past their knees and bellies wet from coming out of deep water bedding islands. Deer aren’t afraid of water. Most hunters and predators are and the deer know that.

Dang! That is crazy I wouldnt have guessed they would swim to the middle of a lake!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:58 am

Weaver.b wrote:The terrain where I hunt is what I would call a 50-50 between swamp and marsh. There is alot of flooded timber mixed with marsh vegetation and even open water. Doing more in depth aerial scouting lately I have used google earth to get a better look with the history feature. This feature has revealed that there is alot more open water than you realize. I do see where there are some small islands and high spots out in this open water and it made me wonder if a buck would actually bed somewhere he has to literally swim to and from. What are some of the nastiest areas that you have found buck bedding and thought how in the heck is he bedding here. Honestly some of the areas I am referring to would be insane if I found beds there.

The most insane spots are where I usually find the best primary beds. When it’s very difficult to get there I am almost certain it will hold a good bed. Seen it so many times it’s almost guaranteed.
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:06 pm

Dewey wrote:
Weaver.b wrote:The terrain where I hunt is what I would call a 50-50 between swamp and marsh. There is alot of flooded timber mixed with marsh vegetation and even open water. Doing more in depth aerial scouting lately I have used google earth to get a better look with the history feature. This feature has revealed that there is alot more open water than you realize. I do see where there are some small islands and high spots out in this open water and it made me wonder if a buck would actually bed somewhere he has to literally swim to and from. What are some of the nastiest areas that you have found buck bedding and thought how in the heck is he bedding here. Honestly some of the areas I am referring to would be insane if I found beds there.

The most insane spots are where I usually find the best primary beds. When it’s very difficult to get there I am almost certain it will hold a good bed. Seen it so many times it’s almost guaranteed.

Do you ever run into situations where there isnt alot of sign until you do get into the really nasty stuff? Alot of times I kinda scout the edge of the nasty figuring if bucks are out in that stuff I will see sign of it and then dive in from there but it seems like I rarely find anything that makes me warrant going deeper. I just wonder if I am going about it wrong. I am not afraid to go through anything and am willling to push out there if I think it is worth it but maybe I just need to get in there regardless and see what happens.?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:15 pm

Weaver.b wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Do you ever run into situations where there isnt alot of sign until you do get into the really nasty stuff? Alot of times I kinda scout the edge of the nasty figuring if bucks are out in that stuff I will see sign of it and then dive in from there but it seems like I rarely find anything that makes me warrant going deeper. I just wonder if I am going about it wrong. I am not afraid to go through anything and am willling to push out there if I think it is worth it but maybe I just need to get in there regardless and see what happens.?

I have waded through waist deep water for a 1/2 mile to small bedding islands and due to the wet conditions the deer leave no sign along the way but they are always there.
I set up a cam in a waist deep travel route in some flooded timber once just for the heck of it. I was shocked to catch some of the biggest bucks I ever seen in the area travel in belly deep water on a regular basis. Never got one single pic of a doe or small buck. Every single one was a shooter. That taught me to never overlook the nasty stuff. I always say if ducks live in it you will also find big bucks.
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:31 pm

Dewey wrote:
Weaver.b wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I have waded through waist deep water for a 1/2 mile to small bedding islands and due to the wet conditions the deer leave no sign along the way but they are always there.
I set up a cam in a waist deep travel route in some flooded timber once just for the heck of it. I was shocked to catch some of the biggest bucks I ever seen in the area travel in belly deep water on a regular basis. Never got one single pic of a doe or small buck. Every single one was a shooter. That taught me to never overlook the nasty stuff. I always say if ducks live in it you will also find big bucks.

You have my attention. I will have to change things up a little
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:00 pm

+1 on that Weaver
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:13 pm

One of the topics I never agree with on here is when guys discuss clear cuts and deer mostly bedding on the edges. That is not what I see in my neck of the woods whatsoever. Here in PA cut edges are hunter magnets.

Especially older deer get right in the midst of the nastiest most impenetrable stuff possible. There is nothing too nasty for deer to sneak through. I've watched big bucks sprint through stuff so tangled it takes me 20 minutes to crawl 100 yards.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:27 pm

elk yinzer wrote:One of the topics I never agree with on here is when guys discuss clear cuts and deer mostly bedding on the edges. That is not what I see in my neck of the woods whatsoever. Here in PA cut edges are hunter magnets.

Especially older deer get right in the midst of the nastiest most impenetrable stuff possible. There is nothing too nasty for deer to sneak through. I've watched big bucks sprint through stuff so tangled it takes me 20 minutes to crawl 100 yards.

This is why the bucks aren't bedding on the edges, and in the middle of those areas. Because that's where the hunters don't go, and they feel the most secure. Bucks like edges, but security trumps all!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:23 am

Found a buck bed on a patch of high ground surrounded by knee deep nasty orange sulfur muck from mine run off. You will never find me on that patch of high ground again unless its to recover a buck. After scouting my pant legs were stained orange up past my knees. Drove home in my underwear and the jeans went in the garbage.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”