Wild Edge steps?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

northwoods hunter

Wild Edge steps?

Unread postby northwoods hunter » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:11 pm

What do you think about wild edge steps? I'm considering using these with a 4 step aider. I could pack 3-4 steps and be up 25'. They would be super lightweight. Would they be quiet for bed hunting, etc.?

I presently use lw sticks and hunt out of a saddle. Sticks are heavier and a pain to pack as i don't have a stand to strap them to. The steps would fit in a backpack easily, be a lot less bulky/awkward and lighter.

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Wild Edge steps?

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:15 pm

All I can really say is try them out. Some folks love them others not so much. I am in the latter. Just a little too finicky to get locked tight to the tree for my taste. They are a really smart concept they just aren't my favorite way to climb.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:34 pm

I plan to get some for the coming season, haven't used them but plan to used them with a knaider and swaider setup (I think that's the spelling). Like anything it will take time to get used to. Worth a try.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:35 pm

I have a set and still getting familiar with them. Another tool in the box of hunting gear. I like the compact easy to carry package that goes especially good with saddle hunting. Everything will easily fit in a small backpack. Combined with a 3-4 step aider or a knaider/swaider they are the ultimate in lightweight climbing.
northwoods hunter

Unread postby northwoods hunter » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:37 pm

elk yinzer wrote:All I can really say is try them out. Some folks love them others not so much. I am in the latter. Just a little too finicky to get locked tight to the tree for my taste. They are a really smart concept they just aren't my favorite way to climb.

Do you think with some practice a guy could get them set up quickly? Are they quiet when setting up?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:54 pm

BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:33 pm

Just got 10 and carry bag along with the WE aider. 6 steps will get me 20' tried the 4 step aider and for me it's to cumbersome ... You def have to practice with them. But they are compact and quick to set up once you get the hang of em
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:34 pm

I prefer them with my saddle, right now. Stealth strips, hockey tape or vet tape will quiet them. I prefer 'The Cain Method' for climbing with WE steps. I will agree, people either love em or hate em. Practice, practice, practice and follow safety procedures by always being hooked up. Shortly, you will be able to make your own decision as to what works best you. If you happen not to like them, they are an easy sell on here or nearly any hunting forum. I still use my sticks, but those steps pack up so nicely that, right now outside of my climbing spurs (which I can't use on public) I prefer the WE steps as a climbing method with my saddle most of the time.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:40 pm

northwoods hunter wrote:
elk yinzer wrote:All I can really say is try them out. Some folks love them others not so much. I am in the latter. Just a little too finicky to get locked tight to the tree for my taste. They are a really smart concept they just aren't my favorite way to climb.

Do you think with some practice a guy could get them set up quickly? Are they quiet when setting up?

Yeah, that's not really the issue. It's more function, versatility, ergonomics type stuff.

They are harder to climb than sticks. They say you can get both feet on one and technically you can, but there sure ain't any room to spare.

Even when I pefected the technique I would have one shift ocassionally. Wasn't a fan of that.

They just don't work well in certain tree species. Rough, ridged bark they are extra tricky. Whiteoaks and maples they work great. But I climb a ton of chestnut oak. I know thats not a widespread tree in whitetail country but they dont work well with its rough bark.

They mark up trees more than sticks. Not terrible but cN give away your spot.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
northwoods hunter

Unread postby northwoods hunter » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:42 pm

Dewey wrote:I have a set and still getting familiar with them. Another tool in the box of hunting gear. I like the compact easy to carry package that goes especially good with saddle hunting. Everything will easily fit in a small backpack. Combined with a 3-4 step aider or a knaider/swaider they are the ultimate in lightweight climbing.

Great confirmation, that's why i'm really leaning towards them. Are they quiet enough in setting up? How comfortable are you in using the 4 step aider? What are you using as a platform?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:44 pm

northwoods hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:I have a set and still getting familiar with them. Another tool in the box of hunting gear. I like the compact easy to carry package that goes especially good with saddle hunting. Everything will easily fit in a small backpack. Combined with a 3-4 step aider or a knaider/swaider they are the ultimate in lightweight climbing.

Great confirmation, that's why i'm really leaning towards them. Are they quiet enough in setting up? How comfortable are you in using the 4 step aider? What are you using as a platform?

Very quiet. I use a knaider/swaider like in the video above. For a platform I use a Predator from Tethrd.
northwoods hunter

Unread postby northwoods hunter » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Dewey wrote:
northwoods hunter wrote:

Very quiet. I use a knaider/swaider like in the video above. For a platform I use a Predator from Tethrd.

Great input, thanks! I'm going to order a set. I really think they could be the lightest most compact option out there.
northwoods hunter

Unread postby northwoods hunter » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Dewey wrote:
northwoods hunter wrote:

I saw a wood option that fits inside the WE step for a platform option. Think i'm going to try that. It's light and cheap (if it works well) :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”