Wind changes direction

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowfly51

Wind changes direction

Unread postby Bowfly51 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:30 pm

I live in Southern West Virginia. The wind is predominately S SW. If a cold front comes through and the wind shifts to N NW then the wind tunnel would change to the other side of the hill. Is this correct?

For God so Loved the world he gave his only begotten son so that whosoever shall believe on him shall not perish but shall have everlasting life. John 3:16
freezeAR
500 Club

Re: Wind changes direction

Unread postby freezeAR » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:16 am

Hill bedding is largely dependent on the wind. No matter the direction you should consider leeward points for the bucks to bed. While scouting the non-predominant wind direction beds will obviously be less used.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:50 am

The wind tunnel has to do mostly with thermals as I have experienced it in WV. I have watched the hill country videos and understand the wind tunnel idea. Yet I have not seen a textbook example in WV mountains. I have gotten away from the leeward wind tunnel bedding and cruising idea as I see just as good bedding and cruising on windward slopes. I think it has more to do with cover and thermals/aspect than just wind. Something to consider...the current mountain laurel thread explains this well.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Bowfly51

Unread postby Bowfly51 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Even though u have not seen wind tunnel in WV do the mature bucks steel travel the top 1/3?
For God so Loved the world he gave his only begotten son so that whosoever shall believe on him shall not perish but shall have everlasting life. John 3:16
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:52 pm

Top 1/3 is always a good place to look for beds and sign and travel trails. I look for the military crest and edge or cover transition which sometimes is hard to notice.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:26 am

I could be wrong, but I would think that if the wind switches to NNW, the wind tunnel on that south facing slope might be more of a factor because the southern slope (which is now leeward) will be warming up sooner and much faster than the north facing slope (potentially making any wind tunnel more pronounced). Even without considering wind tunnel, I would think the upper third of a south facing slope, with a NNW wind, during a cold front would be a great place to start. Obviously the more factors you have in your favor, like proximity to bedding (buck and doe) and seeking/chasing activity, the better.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”