How would you go about hunting a buck or bucks that don’t bed on your property?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bucksnbows

Re: How would you go about hunting a buck or bucks that don’t bed on your property?

Unread postby bucksnbows » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:00 am

Story of my life.

You have to give them a reason to come to your property.
Number one is don't pressure your property.
That alone should have them visiting.

Food and does will usually be the reason they come to your property if they are bedding on neighbors.

I hunt a property that has very little bedding on it.
But it does have a major food source and we hunt it very lightly.

That has worked for us.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Re: How would you go about hunting a buck or bucks that don’t bed on your property?

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 am

Hunt the other property
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Ladykiller

Unread postby Ladykiller » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:19 am

Go to the local dog pound, pick up a few mongrels, and turn em loose on the neighbors property :whistle:
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 am

I agree they need a reason to come your way assuming they aren't already. I had the same issue for years on one piece I hunted. Luckily ag was on the other side so they always crossed my piece.

It starts with feeling safe, so the perception of no pressure is important. Then habitat improvement if you can do that - food, water, and thick cover on the property line and all the way to the food and water and surrounding it. If you can do some habitat improvement do it with a purpose and have a plan in mind how you will hunt it before you start. For example, attracting does with a first snack when they get up, so bucks will follow them in during the rut. Or create more doe bedding which you'll hunt around the rut. Or if bucks are currently bedding very close to your line but not coming your way then make your habitat thicker and maybe some food also so they start waking your way first. That you can hunt early season. just some ideas.
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:47 am

Have a food source or two. Let the does get comfortable eating it. Then when the rut comes hunt it with the correct winds and you should have some of the local bucks snooping around. We have a small property that works well doing this.
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:47 am

I have run into this and I usually leave it alone, keep does feeling safe, and rut hunt it

Obviously varies based on property but has worked for me in the past
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 am

bigredneck61088 wrote:I have run into this and I usually leave it alone, keep does feeling safe, and rut hunt it

Obviously varies based on property but has worked for me in the past

Bingo. My number 1 option would be to get permission on the neighboring property, but that's not often really an option. If you have good deer numbers, it's very easy to get does to bed on a property, even if it is very small. Just don't harass the does and wait until the rut. Unless you have enough ground or timber to manipulate the habitat to encourage buck bedding.
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:47 am

I have this issue on my private land access spots. I hunt does the during the rut and usually see a few bucks coming through. Do not pressure the does out during early season.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:51 am

Try to determine if and where the bedding is on the next property . Find out if or where bucks would feel safe entering your property. Couple questions to ask yourself ...Do I have doe bedding on the property can hunt Do I have prefered Food sources ?
Focus on rut travel and early cold fronts if the answer is yes to either.
Gregkrause

Unread postby Gregkrause » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:01 am

I have a property just next door to one of my 100 acre property I have permission on. The neighbor has the best bedding for miles and allows no hunting. I have a small water hole just off the property line I hunt and it’s dynamite late season when most of the food lacks moisture and other sources have dried up or frozen. I have bullet proof access to that spot with an east wind, which isn’t often, so I’m not tempted to over hunt it. I also have a section that works as a major funnel and small doe bedding area. I hunt other parts of the property early season for does but leave that Doe bedding area alone. At least one die family group will start spending a large amount of time there. Once we get into late October, I’ll start hunting the edge of the funnel, which is between the bucks bedding and the does and downwind of the does, when conditions are perfect. I’ve jilked two mature bucks in two years since starting this strategy
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:52 am

Ladykiller wrote:Go to the local dog pound, pick up a few mongrels, and turn em loose on the neighbors property :whistle:

Brilliant lol
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:14 am

younger bucks and the occasional older one will wander in rut, but the best time to kill old bucks on a neighboring property is in bitter cold over food. They will travel long distances in datlight in the North when there is snow and freezing temps.
Ladykiller

Unread postby Ladykiller » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:07 pm

If the neighboring property size allows it, you can wind bump it. Have one guy posted on the property you can hunt, and someone off the opposite side of the property you can't hunt. If you play the wind right, the scent will pass through the property you can't hunt and hopefully push the buck towards you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”