Versatile

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Iabow

Versatile

Unread postby Iabow » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:58 am

Reading different threads on here and mainly other forums, one thing I think many guys over look is being versatile and being able to adapt to the situation to get the job done. So many have in the mind it has to be this way or that when many times if we open our mind and adapt the solution is right in front of us.
Many things that get debated about are just tools to be used when we need it. Kevin Vandam is the king of bass fishing and what I seen of him, he wins cause he adapts and uses the tools he has to the fullest. Not stuck just flipping a bank.
I think most here think this way that is why we are here but I check myself after season and ask how could I do things better or make it work?
A smart mechanic knows what tool works best for each situation and is versatile enough to not be stuck going “ I have to use that 100$ monkey wrench “. Why Dan and The Hunting Public are great, they are versatile and adapt.
Just a thought, maybe I am out in left field. Pitchers and catchers are reporting today!

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Versatile

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:38 am

I would add the importance of understanding what you are looking at... can't see the forest from the trees, so to speak. The addition of being adaptable often leads to success.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:44 am

I think your mechanic anology is good in another way. What seperates good mechanics from shade tree mechanics is troubleshooting. A good mechanic uses tools and knowledge of systems to prove to himself or herself what the problem is. Once this is done fixing the problem is the easy part. Similarly a good hunter picks a spot scouts it and uses knowledge to formulate a plan. Both can get lucky by throwing parts at a problem or throwing hunts at an area but the best ones are able to do their homework and be much more efficient.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:05 am

Absolutely, you have to adapt, and the younger hunters need to know this, depending on how into this they are.... as a senior hunter, I have learned to adapt, thru my learning years, and believe me, when I started there were not videos, forums like this, and You Tube.... Most really good hunters kept their mouths shut.

I went from killing average bucks, to really good bucks, when I started to adapt, and get out of my comfort zone, and go hunt where big bucks live. It had nothing to do with equipment etc, it just came down to hard work..... while others ice fished, I spent my time, walking every swamp, I could find, and found a boat load of info,,,,,

I started to hunt, ridiculous spots, and I started to get shots at bigger bucks..... I may not like listening to traffic, but if that is where the bucks came thru, that is where I was at.....

My biggest killing set up today, is what I have always called the elevated ground blind,,,, that is one stick, light stand, in small trees, but covered with lots of cover, cattails, and brush etc,,,, its these small little fingers, that I found to be great escape routes.... You do not find that in a book, you find that with boots on the ground, and when you have snow, back tracking them deer, as much as you can.......
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:38 am

tundra wrote:Absolutely, you have to adapt, and the younger hunters need to know this, depending on how into this they are.... as a senior hunter, I have learned to adapt, thru my learning years, and believe me, when I started there were not videos, forums like this, and You Tube.... Most really good hunters kept their mouths shut.

I went from killing average bucks, to really good bucks, when I started to adapt, and get out of my comfort zone, and go hunt where big bucks live. It had nothing to do with equipment etc, it just came down to hard work..... while others ice fished, I spent my time, walking every swamp, I could find, and found a boat load of info,,,,,

I started to hunt, ridiculous spots, and I started to get shots at bigger bucks..... I may not like listening to traffic, but if that is where the bucks came thru, that is where I was at.....

My biggest killing set up today, is what I have always called the elevated ground blind,,,, that is one stick, light stand, in small trees, but covered with lots of cover, cattails, and brush etc,,,, its these small little fingers, that I found to be great escape routes.... You do not find that in a book, you find that with boots on the ground, and when you have snow, back tracking them deer, as much as you can.......

Excellent advice. Your thoughts mirror my views exactly. There are no shortcuts......only hard work. Adapting to the sign is the biggest key.
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:01 am

Being versatile and adapting is a key component in m my opinion. It took me a long time to learn this but it’s been a game changer in several aspects. Growing up in the south if we were not sitting over a green field or food plot you were considered “wasting time” by most other hunters. Since I’ve started bow hunting and now beast hunting I don’t even consider hunting those areas.
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:05 am

Right on the money guys. I think that is what sets big buck serial killers apart from other hunters, putting in the work to understand what they are seeing and knowing how to make things work no matter how goofy it may seem. Why places like this are so great, you can gather ideas from other hunters and adapted them to your situation.
Very cool Tundra example, now how many guys would think I have to be 20' up so I can't hunt where the buck is. Adapting to make things work. Like it was said on here the most important tool we have is between the ears.
I remember one spot there was only one way in and the buck sat there and watched it. The farmer would drive down the lane right by him often and that buck would just watch him but if he slowed down the buck would spook. So I had my dad drive down the lane with me in the back, I simply rolled off the tail gate into the grass out of sight of the buck lol. Worked but I missed the shot, he was 250 + lbs 10 point.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:16 am

I honestly feel like the younger guys seem more comfortable with being versatile. There is just so much good tactical info out there now for different styles compared to say, even 5 years ago...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”