Saddles vs. Lock ons

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Longbowwally

Re: Saddles vs. Lock ons

Unread postby Longbowwally » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:59 am

Some like saddles some don't....To each his own and this is just my opinion...

I've had 3 different saddles over the years - Tree Suit, Guidos and this past fall a Tetherd Mantis.

I killed deer out of the Tree Suit and Guidos. Only hunted out of the Mantis once and passed on deer on that hunt.

I had given up on them after the Guidos but got caught up in the hype about saddle hunting and wanted to try it again so bought the Mantis and the Predator platform. The predator platform is an improvement for saddle hunting, in my opinion. But, I sold the saddle and platform after the one hunt as reality set in once again.

To me:
* the saddle is not as comfortable as a hang on - some will say with practice it will be but that was not my experience.
* it is not safer than a hang on in my opinion. With a hang on I have two safety 'connections' to the tree (1)the stand (2)my safety belt...With the saddle you normally only have the tether attached to the tree while hunting. If for
some reason it breaks or is not hooked up properly you are going down the tree.
* even though a saddle could allow pretty much 360 degrees of shooting, the movement required to move around the tree is to much, in my opinion, and will likely spook deer. Ask any saddle hunter who has used one for
several seasons if moving around the tree has spooked deer and most will say yes.
* Another selling point for me was being behind the tree and using it for cover. On paper that sounds great and in some instances it is great, but I found that overall I prefer to be facing the game with my back to the
tree and can take a shot with minimum movement required.
* weight savings - for me, I found very little in weight savings. Whether using a hang on or saddle I still need a way up the tree plus other paraphanalia that goes with saddle hunting. I just didn't feel the weight savings
was enough of a plus to use the saddle over my 8.5 lb hang on.

Having said that, I am playing with the idea of using a modified sit drag to use when, on the rare occasion I need to use the tree for cover(like late in the season when leaves are gone) I can use it with my hang on to face the tree and
not have to stand the whole time but can lean or sit for short periods of time.

These are only my experiences/opinions - I know others like the saddle and I think that's great and use what works for you. But, I recommend anyone interested in saddle hunting find someone who has one and try it out first by climbing, setting it up and sit in it for an hour or so before purchasing.

Once again these are just my opinions/experiences with saddle hunting and I offer them only to help others in their decision as to trying saddle hunting or not......

BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:36 am

Longbowwally wrote:Some like saddles some don't....To each his own and this is just my opinion...

I've had 3 different saddles over the years - Tree Suit, Guidos and this past fall a Tetherd Mantis.

I killed deer out of the Tree Suit and Guidos. Only hunted out of the Mantis once and passed on deer on that hunt.

I had given up on them after the Guidos but got caught up in the hype about saddle hunting and wanted to try it again so bought the Mantis and the Predator platform. The predator platform is an improvement for saddle hunting, in my opinion. But, I sold the saddle and platform after the one hunt as reality set in once again.

To me:
* the saddle is not as comfortable as a hang on - some will say with practice it will be but that was not my experience.
* it is not safer than a hang on in my opinion. With a hang on I have two safety 'connections' to the tree (1)the stand (2)my safety belt...With the saddle you normally only have the tether attached to the tree while hunting. If for
* even though a saddle could allow pretty much 360 degrees of shooting, the movement required to move around the tree is to much, in my opinion, and will likely spook deer. Ask any saddle hunter who has used one for
several seasons if moving around the tree has spooked deer and most will say yes.
* Another selling point for me was being behind the tree and using it for cover. On paper that sounds great and in some instances it is great, but I found that overall I prefer to be facing the game with my back to the
* weight savings - for me, I found very little in weight savings. Whether using a hang on or saddle I still need a way up the tree plus other paraphanalia that goes with saddle hunting. I just didn't feel the weight savings

Having said that, I am playing with the idea of using a modified sit drag to use when, on the rare occasion I need to use the tree for cover(like late in the season when leaves are gone) I can use it with my hang on to face the tree and

These are only my experiences/opinions - I know others like the saddle and I think that's great and use what works for you. But, I recommend anyone interested in saddle hunting find someone who has one and try it out first by climbing, setting it up and sit in it for an hour or so before purchasing.

Once again these are just my opinions/experiences with saddle hunting and I offer them only to help others in their decision as to trying saddle hunting or not......

Good honest post. I think everyone is different. And what works for one may not for another. I been in the saddle for 10 years and I can't imagine going back but that's me. Each person has to decide for themselves. Best wishes and good luck this coming season!
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Longbowwally wrote:Some like saddles some don't....To each his own and this is just my opinion...

To me:

x2....well said.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:32 pm

BBH1980 wrote:

To me:

Good honest post. I think everyone is different. And what works for one may not for another. I been in the saddle for 10 years and I can't imagine going back but that's me. Each person has to decide for themselves. Best wishes and good luck this coming season!

Nailed it.

I've posted a similar experience on previous threads about saddles.
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:39 pm

Personally a saddle is not for me. I don’t think I could ever shoot comfortably out of one and if I need sticks to get up the tree and a platform to stand on what’s the point? If I need sticks and a platform I’ll stick with my LW. I’m it bashing or hating on a saddle I just don’t think it’s for me.
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:20 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:I have the mantis/predator platform as well as my mobile set up lock on and sticks. I don’t really see any cons with the saddle if you can get comfortable in them. I’ve tried a few in the past and couldn’t. I made my own that was very comfortable and then I’m very comfortable in the mantis. For portability and mobility I don’t see how you can improve on it. I’ve never encountered a shot that I couldn’t make out of it either. I still use my Lonewolf stand though from time to time when it fits the set up a little better or just when I feel like it. It’s the long walks and run and gun set up when I really like the saddle option the most. I also hunt from the ground a fair bit when I scout my way in and the situation calls for it so it’s nice to be able to go in with the saddle and have that option without carrying a 10 pound stand and sticks on your back. It’s also feels better on my low back then a traditional lock on.

I agree with this after using both for one season.

Here's my situation. Keep in mind we are almost always hunting with two people. We tend to hunt out of stands when the hike is short and easy. Saddles for the long walks and all day hunts. Most folks think of "all day" hunts as sitting in one spot all day. More often than not, I'm moving at least once throughout the day, sometimes two or three moves. A mobile saddle setup is lighter and easier to install fast. At least it is for me. Hanging two stands every time is tougher to do. However, if I was hunting by myself I think i'd still use a saddle at least 50% of the time.

Long hikes with stand, sticks, and camera gear wear us down fast. If it's just one or two hunts I'd probably take the stand but that constant weight begins to take it's toll on you after 7,8, 9 days in a row of hanging, moving, and hanging again. We'll still hunt out of stands closer to the road. That could change though after we get another year under our belt with the saddle.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:31 am

I don’t see why it is stand vs saddle or switching from one to the other. They are each another tool to get the job done. I use them both for different applications. And prefer one or the other depending on what I am doing. More than anything I hunt from the ground and don’t use either.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:32 am

double post
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:06 am

flinginairos wrote:
Ontariofarmer wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Went from lock on to saddle!

The biggest reason is I luv hunting cedar trees! I tuck myself back in there and disappear. With a saddle u got to cut all the limbs so u can move around the tree.

I liked the saddle and really wanted that sucker to work out. But for me and the trees I hunt the ole hang on just is a better choice for my style of hunting.

Some guys luv em and in the backyard I shoot great out of one. But come crunch time I always had more go wrong than right. No risk in trying one though they have good resale value. Just my .02

Really a cedar tree is the only place I might want a lock on..

Here is a very fair comparison by someone who uses both Bowhunter 15

Here are his comments on this video page... watch the video it is excellent.
Saddle hunting has been around for decades, but just recently has begun to grow rapidly. Many hunters are intrigued but aren't quite sure if it's worth the investment to make the switch. Well, you certainly don't have to make the switch. I've been an advocate of owning both system and using whichever one is better suited for the situation. Saddle hunting systems are light weight and compact. Tree stands are cheaper and easier to learn. But there's much more to the comparison. Hopefully this video helps shed some light on the differences between the two systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcGh5yPV52Y&t=11s

In that situation I agree, the stand would be better in a cedar or pine tree. I don't really have either of those in the area I hunt so the saddle wins out. I wouldn't mind getting Dans new stand when it comes out tho. 8-)

Bingo. Both have positives and negatives depending on tree. If I was running and gunning in those conifer heavy areas I would carry both. There is no reason why you cant take advantage of the benefits of the saddle from a lock on stand. From experience I rarely do but that is just my preference. I have used a saddle for over 15 years and most of those years I only used it as a niche tool. Both are great and proven.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”