Saddles vs. Lock ons

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hambone
500 Club

Re: Saddles vs. Lock ons

Unread postby hambone » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:14 am

I started saddle hunting in the late 80's out of an Anderson Treesling. I prefer hunting from a saddle. It is an important element of my hunting, but it is not an end-all. I've also used lock-ons, ground blinds, brush piles, climbers, ladder stands, pit blind, permanent stands, hammock chair, 5 gal. bucket, step ladder, tripod, and ever how else it takes to get on a mature buck, since I started saddle hunting. My back is all boogered up. I do know that I am more comfortable in a saddle than a stand. If anyone is afraid of the price, a little DIY skills and some investigating on the www. can get you started relatively cheap. I would recommend a fleece saddle or sit-n-drag for going on the cheap. I hunted out a fleece saddle with RC harness a lot this past season. It has been very comfortable for me. Your climbing method doesn't have to change from your current set up, unless you choose. I like sticks or WE steps. If I don't have a prelocated tree, I prefer the WE steps, since they are easy for me to transport and I can use 2 of them as a platform, if needed. I use the 'Cain Method' of climbing with the WE steps. If you choose this method of climbing, you can attach at the center hook up on your RC harness, instead of a riggers belt if need be. I hunted a few times from stirrups using the saddle this past season. I plan on utilizing those as a platform more often on evening hunts this coming season. I would recommend investing in decent knee pads (a closed cell foam pad strapped to the tree works too) and eventually Ropeman 1's for your tether and lineman's rope. There are a lot of options out there right now, that didn't exist long ago. I believe we should try to support these new companies as much as we can, but if you can't, at this current juncture, you can still jump in with safe, effective, fairly inexpensive materials to get started.

HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:43 am

Man, I just bought a lone wolf setup last year to get more into the mobile game... The Hunting Public just did a video with Tethrd and almost have me convinced that a saddle is the new way to go. I do love the idea of having as little as possible to carry in...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:31 pm

andy wrote:
greenhorndave wrote: But now that I think back to my college days, I did rapelling on a ROTC tower using a similar harness. Scared the bejabbers out of me the first time down, but I learned to trust the climbing harness thereafter.
The rappel tower was my least favorite part of boot camp, until I stepped off the side and realized it's far less terrifying to hang off the side of the tower under tension and with good gear than it is to stand at the top looking down. Should have been my first clue that I would prefer a saddle :?

But that first step, the first time sucked! :lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:33 pm

HunterBob wrote:Man, I just bought a lone wolf setup last year to get more into the mobile game... The Hunting Public just did a video with Tethrd and almost have me convinced that a saddle is the new way to go. I do love the idea of having as little as possible to carry in...

That’s a good tip Bob... I’ll look for that video.

Thanks
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:47 pm

I recently made the switch hunted mobile from lone wolf system and im regretting i didnt find saddle hunting sooner! So is my back lol Ultra lightweight, mobile, rock solid shooting, super comfortable. stealthy, everything i was hoping for! Carrying 10 lbs to the woods now vs 25. I absolutely love it and dunno if i will ever use lock ons again maybe if i lan a piece of private ground possibly but probably still use saddle highly reccomend !!
cg21

Unread postby cg21 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:45 pm

Just bought a nice hawk hang on stand.... first one ever. I have hunted from the ground or a cheapo ladder stand. Now I am wanting to give this a shot...... also have a bad back that's why I went with the hawk for the seat. But after reading the comfort of the saddle.... I may regret my purchase.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:51 am

I didnt like saddle hunting at all. Too many straps, ropes, etc., way to restrictive for me. Mike
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:03 am

mspaci wrote:I didnt like saddle hunting at all. Too many straps, ropes, etc., way to restrictive for me. Mike

What kinda saddle, etc were you using? I have a lineman rope and my tether and that's it. Saddle has a waste belt and leg straps. No different than a safety harness. I had a Guidos Web that had way too many straps and was pretty annoying.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:29 am

mspaci wrote:I didnt like saddle hunting at all. Too many straps, ropes, etc., way to restrictive for me. Mike

Usually I hear the complete opposite.. whatever works for you though!
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 am

it was a guidos
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:33 am

mspaci wrote:it was a guidos

Yeah that's explains it.. lol I have a Guido's. Its to much.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:13 am

EdC wrote:if cost is an issue try the sit drag solution
or a DIY solution

real inexpensive to start with

I hunt out of a piece of fleece one of the most comfy things I've hunted out
I was concerned at first but sitting in it became a no brainer

lots of info out there and even a forum for saddle hunters to bounce ideas off

also look at it as another tool for hunting

This is 100% on the money! I got in very cheap last year with a rock climbing harness, fleece, and some rope. Loved it, probably will not invest into much for upgrading at this point. Probably do just some DIY customization.

Also, yes it is awesome being able to haul everything needed in a backpack. Very light weight, and quiet!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Both have their place. I wouldn’t give up either one. The saddle is certainly lighter and more mobile, however if you are climbing into a limby tree your better off with a stand because the limbs really get in the way In the saddle. Meaning your ability to rotate around freely is removed therefore making some shots extremely difficult.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”