Calm Mornings and Rising Thermals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Calm Mornings and Rising Thermals

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:06 pm

So, as I’m reading through Mapping Trophy Bucks and as I’m always reading on the beast, have I understood correctly that on calm mornings in hill country the thermals trump the wind filtering gently over the leeward side?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Calm Mornings and Rising Thermals

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:44 am

It is terrain dependent and something to be studied and learned in your hunting area. As an example of the variables a 330 foot bluff on a calm morning may have thermals that blow back your hair and override light and variable winds. A short ridge may well have the opposite. The point is there are many variables but you can learn to predict what will often be the case in your hunting area through observation.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:49 am

That helps. Thanks!
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:36 am

Yes, the thermals can trump a light wind. For instance in mountains I hunt a west wind is predominant making the east side leeward. But on a calm or light west wind day that is sunny and temp rising the thermals can blow a fairly strong wind up the east side overriding the west wind. This is common and makes both sides of the ridge behave as windward. Probably part of the reason why I see as much windward as leeward bedding because We have a lot of calm or light wind days.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:56 am

x2 on both Singing Bridge and brancher147

I hunt some really continuous hills that are combined with really tall elevations and then shorter peaks..I suppose they're calling rolling hills? At any rate, the thermals can be so independent from place to place, I always make notes of stand sites on how the thermals reacted with the current wind speeds, temps, and what time the bottoms should have started to warm up in the mornings.

Point being, just because the winds are blowing at a certain direction (especially light and variable winds) once you get to where you are planning to hunt you can literally have a 180 degree different wind.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:47 am

I don’t even pay attention to wind direction on bluebird days with light wind. Once those thermals start sucking up you are pretty much bullet proof.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”