Waist/Chest High Rubs = Big Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brian1986

Waist/Chest High Rubs = Big Bucks

Unread postby Brian1986 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:17 am

Since I began hunting I had always paid attention to big rubs. I'd take notice what kind of tree it was on- hard or softwood, diameter, marks from irregular points, trees/brush next to the tree being rubbed because of a wide spread, etc. But I hadn't paid close attention to the height of a big rub like I should have until I read Dan's comments about waist to chest high rub height being a key factor to determine if it was made by a big buck. Little bucks could rub a large diameter tree, but it would be low on the tree. But the tall rubs, those were almost exclusively made by big bucks. Before reading Dan's thoughts on it, when I saw a big rub I knew a buck had gotten really aggressive and tore into the tree. I would tend to think the buck was big, but also have some doubt- especially after watching a young 8ptr work over a cedar the size of my calf. The waist to chest high statement was a light bulb moment for me. I wanted to share a couple examples to affirm this because it's made a difference in my scouting & hunting- especially when looking over new properties and determining if big bucks are there (thanks Dan).

During my winter scouting in 2018 my girlfriend and I found this rub. For perspective she is 5'7". I decided to put a trail camera on it in July and leave it til Thanksgiving.

This guy showed up to rub the tree in early October of 2018.
What was fascinating is that camera was out from July to Thanksgiving and though numerous doe's and younger bucks showed up on camera, he was the only buck to rub that tree. A couple doe's and young bucks smelled the the rub, but only he rubbed it. Unfortunately a tree in the background to the left of the buck fell in a windstorm sometime in August and jammed up the lane the deer liked to walk through. I'm not sure if that impacted anything or not. If you look close you can see the tree that fell also had a big rub on it, though lower on the tree. The tree broke right above the rub.

Here's another mature buck making a rub high on a big tree. I found this rub in early fall of 2017 and let a camera soak on it through Thanksgiving. This tree was part of a rubline, and wasn't rubbed that heavily. Unfortunately I used a poor trail camera so the pictures aren't very crisp. Again, I had several deer appear on camera, but he was the only buck to rub this tree.
Here is a better picture of the buck

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Waist/Chest High Rubs = Big Bucks

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:59 am

That big hoss wasn’t messing around.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:11 pm

ive done this in past and was surprised how many deer scent check the rubs threw out the season almost same amount of pics on rubs as scrapes in some areas.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:49 pm

:clap: good post, I love real examples that prove the point
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Very cool. Thanks for sharing 8-)
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:17 pm

:D
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Very cool. Great pics and examples of high rubs. Those are some tanks!
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:57 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:ive done this in past and was surprised how many deer scent check the rubs threw out the season almost same amount of pics on rubs as scrapes in some areas.

I noticed the same thing on the deer scent checking certain rubs. I even had a 4ptr smell and then chew on the big rub.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:49 am

Brian1986 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:ive done this in past and was surprised how many deer scent check the rubs threw out the season almost same amount of pics on rubs as scrapes in some areas.

I noticed the same thing on the deer scent checking certain rubs. I even had a 4ptr smell and then chew on the big rub.

yep thats the good old sign post rub. i think there are tree main rubs too look for bedding rubs ,travel rubs and sigh post rubs. they all link together sign post are normally where bucks all transition together before entering a food source or does bedding.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:17 am

Great post!
Gregkrause

Unread postby Gregkrause » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:14 am

I think I’ve narrowed down where my next big mature target buck lives. Yesterday I found a few ridgetop beds with massive rubs. A few bigger than my thigh and all waist to chest high. This just gives me more evidence it’s him. Is there any correlation with size or height of licking branches on scrapes? In this area, one of the scrapes had a licking branch over head high, as big around as my thumb and twisted up into a mess.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Brian, I am guilty of sizing a big rub with my woman in the picture too!Might need to post them up later.

I have scouting planned to locate more from whatever buck did them. However, your camera idea is great and I might go that route next season.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:00 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Brian, I am guilty of sizing a big rub with my woman in the picture too!Might need to post them up later.

I have scouting planned to locate more from whatever buck did them. However, your camera idea is great and I might go that route next season.

I figured I wasn't the only one Haha! Did you post any?
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:13 am

I have seen some massive deer that the main beams would not allow him to rub a big diameter tree. This supports the height of the rub being the best indicator of age and size.
J.W.83

Unread postby J.W.83 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:26 am

Cool thread, and great examples with pics. I saw a particular video where Dan talked about the height of the rub being a factor, but also the amount of rubs. The basic gist I gathered was that he said younger bucks tend to rub more often, so it’s better sign to find one taller rub than to find lower rubs all over the place, particularly if that high rub is close to prime bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”