Backyard deer drama

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Backyard deer drama

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:59 am

Group of five does. The one to the left of the oak has a bum right front leg. Can't put any weight on it.

The one closest to its flank is about to kick it in the but to try to get her to move.

The other four don't like being out in the open, but they don't seem willing to abandon her either. They're browsing grass and dogwood in the meantime.

Probably only a matter of time before she becomes coyote food.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Backyard deer drama

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:21 pm

greenhorndave wrote:Group of five does. The one to the left of the oak has a bum right front leg. Can't put any weight on it.

The one closest to its flank is about to kick it in the but to try to get her to move.

The other four don't like being out in the open, but they don't seem willing to abandon her either. They're browsing grass and dogwood in the meantime.

Probably only a matter of time before she becomes coyote food.

you would be surprised i have a doe buy my house missing a front leg at the knee joint she has been around for 3 years now
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:09 pm

I killed this buck 3 years ago that was missing his right front leg even with the bottom of his chest. He came out with a spike following 3 doe’s in mid November and got around ok. The year before I had rifle shot a buck about 300 yards from there and I hit him through the leg, tracked him for a long ways but never recovered, I’m 99% sure it was the same one. He was an older deer, big head but was only about 170 lbs, figures it was because he probably ran down a lot from the previous year due to the injury. The year before this he was a 125-130” deer.Image
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:35 pm

Yeah 3 legged animals look pretty spastic while walking/moving slow. But get 'em running and it's hard to tell the difference. Back legs seem to be more important and if that's what's missing/injured. It has a much bigger effect on their escapability.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Their resilience is amazing. You’re right Stash, they do look awful when walking slow.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:33 am

It did look like a tough time for him when he was just walking along, he still moved that right shoulder forward like he was taking a step each time. I got it on video then, when he took off at the shot he moved pretty good but didn’t go 30 yards or so. I’ll have to dig up that video sometime
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 am

Saw her again today. Limping, but less than I expected and she’s putting weight on it. She’ll probably heal up if she’s made it this far. Not coyote food yet.
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”