Hoof print question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

Hoof print question

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:12 pm

Question about hoof prints on mature bucks. When these are four fingers wide how much distance will be between the two halves of the hoof? Example being if a hoof is four fingers wide but a pretty decent gap, would this indicate a soft ground or running buck and the hoof splayed out? Thanks

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Robert

Re: Hoof print question

Unread postby Robert » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:23 pm

I think when most of us are talking about a 3 or 4 finger track it is with no gap or at least a very little gap.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:52 pm

Mature bucks will splay normally while walking. If you cut a track of a buck walking and it is 4 fingers wide its a large deer. If you haven't seen Dan's video scout, scout hunt you should check it out. Dan cuts the track of a buck with a gigantic claudhopper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st4y9TI5ONQ
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:25 pm

This is a good read. Hope this helps.

viewtopic.php?f=159&t=1327
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:41 pm

Wlog wrote:This is a good read. Hope this helps.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopi ... 159&t=1327

Thanks, lots of good info there that answered some questions.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:53 am

may21581 wrote:

Thanks, lots of good info there that answered some questions.

No problem.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:33 am

Here is a very large hoof print...
He was walking down hill slightly to splay (front hoof), but this is firm ground.
This is a keeper!!!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:06 am

That is a great one. Appreciate you digging it up.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:15 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Here is a very large hoof print...
He was walking down hill slightly to splay (front hoof), but this is firm ground.
This is a keeper!!!

How do we really know it's a big track?

Your container there clearly says "this is not a measuring device"

:lol:
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:07 pm

Question about hoof prints on mature bucks. When these are four fingers wide how much distance will be between the two halves of the hoof? Example being if a hoof is four fingers wide but a pretty decent gap, would this indicate a soft ground or running buck and the hoof splayed out? Thanks

I beleive to answer your question, it varies, not all bucks have the same typical buck feet, some are long, some are short, some fat and skinny. Weight plays a role in it too.

Here is a pick of a big buck in one off my hunting spots. Compare to other pics and judge for yourself!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:11 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:Question about hoof prints on mature bucks. When these are four fingers wide how much distance will be between the two halves of the hoof? Example being if a hoof is four fingers wide but a pretty decent gap, would this indicate a soft ground or running buck and the hoof splayed out? Thanks

I beleive to answer your question, it varies, not all bucks have the same typical buck feet, some are long, some are short, some fat and skinny. Weight plays a role in it too.

Here is a pick of a big buck in one off my hunting spots. Compare to other pics and judge for yourself!

Here another one from a diffrent area.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:15 am

Checkout magicman's latest YouTube video. He explains how he determines a "good" track! Misty River Trackers channel. You can also find it on the Misty River FaceBook group!

If someone knows how to post the link from YouTube that would save others some time!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:34 am

one thing is dont always go off 4 finger you need too figure out whats big for your area. ive shoot some big bucks over the years 3 that were not even close too 4 fingers but they were all 5.5 years or better. my biggest buck ever was 6.5 years old and dressed 225 and his feet were not huge. i have seen 4 finger tracks in my areas but all were closer too farm country. marsh deer normally have bigger tracks too since the lack of hard ground too wear them down. splay is what tells you age just like people deer get flat footed when they grow old. in my area we also get some very big does some are even bigger than the bucks. in my opinion when you find what you think is a big buck track follow it for a while and look for other clues like ducking under low brush or going threw tight trees. if that buck has a big rack he simply cant fit threw certain areas. you will see where the deer will suddenly cut around a obstruction on the trail or jump over a low limb. if you can combine more clues you can start too paint a picture. just like some bucks are tight racks and some are wide there can be genetic variances in body size from area too area. i have one spot i hunt in a 3000 acre swamp that all the deer have longer legs. when you hang one of the same age next too a buck thats 10 miles down the road. the other deer is hilly farm land and he has shorter legs and more of a pit bull body build. both deer weigh the same only the swamp buck is long and tall vs short and stocky.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:50 am

ghoasthunter wrote:one thing is dont always go off 4 finger you need too figure out whats big for your area. ive shoot some big bucks over the years 3 that were not even close too 4 fingers but they were all 5.5 years or better. my biggest buck ever was 6.5 years old and dressed 225 and his feet were not huge. i have seen 4 finger tracks in my areas but all were closer too farm country. marsh deer normally have bigger tracks too since the lack of hard ground too wear them down. splay is what tells you age just like people deer get flat footed when they grow old. in my area we also get some very big does some are even bigger than the bucks. in my opinion when you find what you think is a big buck track follow it for a while and look for other clues like ducking under low brush or going threw tight trees. if that buck has a big rack he simply cant fit threw certain areas. you will see where the deer will suddenly cut around a obstruction on the trail or jump over a low limb. if you can combine more clues you can start too paint a picture. just like some bucks are tight racks and some are wide there can be genetic variances in body size from area too area. i have one spot i hunt in a 3000 acre swamp that all the deer have longer legs. when you hang one of the same age next too a buck thats 10 miles down the road. the other deer is hilly farm land and he has shorter legs and more of a pit bull body build. both deer weigh the same only the swamp buck is long and tall vs short and stocky.

one big thing with splay though is you need a walking track on flat ground or you can be misled quick.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:17 am

Very good points ghosthunter. There is more than meets the eye at first glance with tracks. I think this is where time and experience comes into play. So any info from you guys is great.
I was on to some good tracks this summer, they were four finger, splayed, and from tip to dew claws about 6.5". However this was an ag field and the ground was soft from tilling. The deer wasnt running but now has me rethinking. I seen some decent bucks in the area but nothing I felt would make that track. I never had anything on camera but found this track coming and going from known bedding areas for awhile. I chalked it up as a mature buck being pushed off from pressure when I no longer seen the tracks, or a shift in fall home range. Maybe i was after a ghost that did not exist? Maybe he is legit and shifted? I will figure out how to upload pics and post one to this forum so you can take a look and I can get you guys opinions. Thanks again

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”