Hoof print question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

Re: Hoof print question

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 am

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:49 am

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:48 am

stash59 wrote:Checkout magicman's latest YouTube video. He explains how he determines a "good" track! Misty River Trackers channel. You can also find it on the Misty River FaceBook group!

If someone knows how to post the link from YouTube that would save others some time!

https://youtu.be/LD9hzXoJW4w
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:19 am

Great video magicman. You answered a ton of questions here. I see how it can be easily mistaken now.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:03 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
stash59 wrote:Checkout magicman's latest YouTube video. He explains how he determines a "good" track! Misty River Trackers channel. You can also find it on the Misty River FaceBook group!

If someone knows how to post the link from YouTube that would save others some time!

You are a Master Crayonsman :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:11 pm

magicman54494 wrote:

Magic, i watched your youtube post , and the square type track that you have drawn i just dont see very often, i can only think of one or two set of tracks that i can think of. I would like for you to explain what your calling a running track and a walking track. To me a walking track would be a a average foot step for me or so apart. A running track would be more like 15’to 20’ apart, or plus. Would this be correct? Most bucks tracks i find are pretty well all splade, even on harder type ground where there is the most slightest imprint, there still splade. I just wondering how much im missing. I hunt ky, where i live i have all types of terrian available swamps,marsh, farm, and hills rolling and steep. Ive tried my best to track as far as i can but wonder if im missing those types of tracks your talking about, i just dont see them.

By the way i like your youtube channel, I'm subscribe to it! I really like what your doing there. Thanks for your effort in putting it together. Good job man! And good luck!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:09 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:

Magic, i watched your youtube post , and the square type track that you have drawn i just dont see very often, i can only think of one or two set of tracks that i can think of. I would like for you to explain what your calling a running track and a walking track. To me a walking track would be a a average foot step for me or so apart. A running track would be more like 15’to 20’ apart, or plus. Would this be correct? Most bucks tracks i find are pretty well all splade, even on harder type ground where there is the most slightest imprint, there still splade. I just wondering how much im missing. I hunt ky, where i live i have all types of terrian available swamps,marsh, farm, and hills rolling and steep. Ive tried my best to track as far as i can but wonder if im missing those types of tracks your talking about, i just dont see them.

By the way i like your youtube channel, I'm subscribe to it! I really like what your doing there. Thanks for your effort in putting it together. Good job man! And good luck!

Not trying to answer for magicman, but deer don't just walk slow and run fast. I remember seeing something once on all of the different gaits/speeds horses can be put into. It was like half a dozen. Deer should be similar.

Other things you gotta remember is that always and never don't apply to deer and most all animals. Maybe your subspecies of whitetails have a little bit different foot construction. Thus different looking tracks! :think:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:00 pm

stash59 wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:

Not trying to answer for magicman, but deer don't just walk slow and run fast. I remember seeing something once on all of the different gaits/speeds horses can be put into. It was like half a dozen. Deer should be similar.

Other things you gotta remember is that always and never don't apply to deer and most all animals. Maybe your subspecies of whitetails have a little bit different foot construction. Thus different looking tracks! :think:

I agree with your statement about diffrent gates a deer have! Alot of my memories of big mature bucks were probably what would called a fast trot to me. Seems like either a slow alert walk, pause every few steps, or a fast trot, to call it or an all out full run would cover most basic gates i would think. Maybe a steady walking gate from time to time, but the top three would cover most of what i seen or can remember.

Im no biologist but to me were i am located the majority of the deer seem to be what most would call midwest buck, alot of tank body builds like Illinois or Missouri, farm land bucks, thier across the river from me basically. Now if you drive south an hour or two i think you can average about 20 to 30 pds lighter pretty easy.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:11 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:
stash59 wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:

I agree with your statement about diffrent gates a deer have! Alot of my memories of big mature bucks were probably what would called a fast trot to me. Seems like either a slow alert walk, pause every few steps, or a fast trot, to call it or an all out full run would cover most basic gates i would think. Maybe a steady walking gate from time to time, but the top three would cover most of what i seen or can remember.

Im no biologist but to me were i am located the majority of the deer seem to be what most would call midwest buck, alot of tank body builds like Illinois or Missouri, farm land bucks, thier across the river from me basically. Now if you drive south an hour or two i think you can average about 20 to 30 pds lighter pretty easy.

keep in mind that I said that a splayed track could be a big deer. often times it is an average deer that is moving fast or in real soft soil. their feet are made to splay to aid in soft soils. A running track or one made in soft soil is a poor track to judge from.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:53 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:
stash59 wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:

keep in mind that I said that a splayed track could be a big deer. often times it is an average deer that is moving fast or in real soft soil. their feet are made to splay to aid in soft soils. A running track or one made in soft soil is a poor track to judge from.

Ok another question or two.
Would the measurement of the distance of the dew claws and hoof be an indicator of buck size? Or would the gate of the deer make that very too?

If a doe had a big track, one that could fool you into think its a buck track, do they have dew claw marks or less of marks?can you tell the diffrence, with out actully seeing them make the track?
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:43 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:

Would the measurement of the distance of the dew claws and hoof be an indicator of buck size? Or would the gate of the deer make that very too?

Great Question! This was a key to me in selecting tracks. dew claw width is very important in my decision on how big a track is but again it is important to judge from a walking track on firm ground. The dew claws will splay when they hit the ground as well. The entire track will spread out (including the dews) in soft soil and or when running. The gate affects it as well the further the stride the more downward force when the hoof hits. Another thing that people forget (or are not aware of) is the track will look bigger going downhill and smaller going uphill.
A rested deer will leave a smaller looking track than when he is tired.

UofLbowhunter wrote:If a doe had a big track, one that could fool you into think its a buck track, do they have dew claw marks or less of marks? Can you tell the difference, with out actually seeing them make the track?

A big heavy doe track will look pretty much the same as a big buck. In soil conditions that tend to wear hooves, bucks tend to more rounded on the tips because they put on more miles.
The best way to determine the difference between a buck or doe track is to read theseries of tracks. during the rut, a buck will cut straight across country on a steady walk. They go fairly straight and hardly ever stop to eat or meander. Check when they pee, watch for rubs or scrapes, bucks almost always check out every bed they cme across. Bucks travel alone. Good bucks wont follow in other deer tracks for very long.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:16 am

magicman54494 wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:
stash59 wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:

this is were alot of guys mess up cuz where do you find a lot of tracks? you find them near wet spots and creek crossings and what do deer do when they cross a creeks and mud they jump over it making a big splayed track. if you find a good track follow it and confirm at some point that deer will slow down or stop once he does you have a good imprint. i like checking scrapes for tracks the most the deer freshens up the soil then stands in the scrape and hits the branch. you get good moist dirt for an imprint and a stationary front foot print. at that point there is no mistaking it. another great spot is under fruit trees or in moss. in these spots you can age the track buy erosion of edges and buy spring back in moss. you even get decent results for tracks in wet leaves. if you are following tracks that dont stop look at the ones that have a shorter stride. the closer they are together the slower the pace the better the correct size imprint. also remember a deer steps in his front track with his back track so this can alter the imprint. if you can find a spot where you can see only his front foot like when he steps around something the deer is not moving very quick and you get a good front track too judge off typically they are more of a square track then and give you great results on actual width of the foot.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:36 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:
stash59 wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:

this is were alot of guys mess up cuz where do you find a lot of tracks? you find them near wet spots and creek crossings and what do deer do when they cross a creeks and mud they jump over it making a big splayed track. if you find a good track follow it and confirm at some point that deer will slow down or stop once he does you have a good imprint. i like checking scrapes for tracks the most the deer freshens up the soil then stands in the scrape and hits the branch. you get good moist dirt for an imprint and a stationary front foot print. at that point there is no mistaking it. another great spot is under fruit trees or in moss. in these spots you can age the track buy erosion of edges and buy spring back in moss. you even get decent results for tracks in wet leaves. if you are following tracks that dont stop look at the ones that have a shorter stride. the closer they are together the slower the pace the better the correct size imprint. also remember a deer steps in his front track with his back track so this can alter the imprint. if you can find a spot where you can see only his front foot like when he steps around something the deer is not moving very quick and you get a good front track too judge off typically they are more of a square track then and give you great results on actual width of the foot.

walking creeks for tracks is not a bad thing though its a easy place too pic up a track but you really need too follow them long enough that you can findd a real good imprint. i feel a front track is just easier for me too identify what im looking for and a good way too start learning all the differences in a track. once you get better than you can figure it out faster and on the fly like magic man. one thing everybody should do if your serous about learning tracks is drive down too your local butcher and look at big buck feet. look at every dead deer you can look at and mentally drill what you need too find in your area.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”