Deer out at odd time today

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

freezeAR
500 Club

Deer out at odd time today

Unread postby freezeAR » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:30 am

I drove around some today and started seeing deer at 1 PM. Didn't think much of it at first until I keep seeing deer. After about 20 deer seen I checked usprimetime.com to see moon overhead/underfoot times. For my area moon overhead was right at 1 PM.

may21581
500 Club

Re: Deer out at odd time today

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:11 am

Good observation. The moon definately has an influence on movement. However this is just one piece of the puzzle. I notice alot of movement with the new moons. :think:
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:15 am

This is how it starts, then you start seeing it more often, then turkeys and then the fish start biting and then you become a moon junkie. :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:22 am

Right on schedule. 8-)

It still blows my mind that people won’t accept the fact that the moon affects deer feeding periods. When I see this stuff in the middle of the day it’s pretty darn obvious and know without even looking at the charts that we are smack dab in the middle of a major period.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:33 am

Dewey wrote:
Right on schedule. 8-)

It still blows my mind that people won’t accept the fact that the moon affects deer feeding periods. When I see this stuff in the middle of the day it’s pretty darn obvious and know without even looking at the charts that we are smack dab in the middle of a major period.

You still have to be in a good/the right spot!!! Easy to be in the wrong spot and say "it's moon time, where are the deer!!!"

Also weather trumps moon time!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:44 am

Dewey wrote:
Right on schedule. 8-)

That is some wild stuff. I gotta start paying more attention to that stuff.

BTW Dewey, what app is that?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:47 am

stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Right on schedule. 8-)

You still have to be in a good/the right spot!!! Easy to be in the wrong spot and say "it's moon time, where are the deer!!!"

I agree on all accounts. Kinda goes without saying but thanks for adding that. Some may not pay attention to those factors. The moon is just another small piece of the puzzle.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:48 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Right on schedule. 8-)

That is some wild stuff. I gotta start paying more attention to that stuff.

BTW Dewey, what app is that?

iSolunar for iPhone.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:13 pm

Dewey wrote:
stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Right on schedule. 8-)

I agree on all accounts. Kinda goes without saying but thanks for adding that. Some may not pay attention to those factors. The moon is just another small piece of the puzzle.

And just because a mature buck is on it's feet feeding. Doesn't mean it's left the security cover of the bedding area!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:19 pm

I usually check OH/UF when I see unusual movement. Its not always correct but it is a lot of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:21 pm

stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Right on schedule. 8-)

And just because a mature buck is on it's feet feeding. Doesn't mean it's left the security cover of the bedding area!

Right. Most of the daytime feeding we don’t even see since it’s usually right in the staging area adjacent to his bed. Anything that gets him on his feet before dark is a huge advantage.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:36 pm

Well im convinced
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:39 pm

Everyyear theres a spike of big bucks hitting the dirt U.S. wide i watch thru several forums, social media, outfitters,contacts ect. usually when i look its spot on the red moon days on the moon guide thats all about position of moon vs phase. Now i will say weather trumps moon but i think the position def has something to do with it im sold on that!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Don't know where you are....but in northern areas, it's not uncommon to see deer at odd times this time of year....cold, snow, limited food etc all play into it...they gotta eat and in many places the food is limited and what's left often isn't high value so they gotta eat more. Nicer days, warmer periods of the day etc seem to play into it....

And good observation on the moon!

I have checked it for years when seeing deer.. especially at odd times. Definitely a believer and definitely believe that's the biggest factor in why I killed my buck this season. Could have almost set my alarm to it.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Dewey wrote:
stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Right on schedule. 8-)

I think hunting pressure plays a big role too! I have really seen this since ive started hitting public hard, but thats a no brainer, I have been a moon fan for a long time!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”