Current bedding vs. Hunting season bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BBH1980

Re: Current bedding vs. Hunting season bedding

Unread postby BBH1980 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:47 am

upstateNYhunter518 wrote:
G-Patt wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one. I struggled with these same questions last year, and the only simpleton answer I can give you is to do more in-season scouting. I did a ton of scouting last winter and spring. I remember logging down everything that looked like bedding, both doe and buck, trails coming and going. However, what I found the most helpful this time of year is understanding the terrain, pinches and funnel areas, access and exit strategies from just the terrain. This is THE best time of year to understand your terrain. While knowing where the beds are located helped some, I didn't know WHEN they were using these beds during hunting season because I didn't waltz in there to check to see if the beds were being used -duh! However, if I did more in-season scouting to find which beds were active, my results this year would have been much better - a big lesson learned. The point being is do your in-season scouting; don't get too worried or freaked about bumping deer; and understand your pinches and funnels.

so your recommending not just scouting to find the beds now and in the spring, but to also check those bedding areas during hunting season to know which ones are actually being used at what time of year? wouldn't that bump the deer out of that area? or will it just be a temporary bump you are counting on? My opinion would be that with this theory, its going to take more then one season of hunting and scouting to locate primary bedding areas in one location, because most likely you will be bumping deer out when you check the beds during hunting season. If they are in there when your expecting them to be and you go in to scout during season and bump them out of there, then what would the likelihood be that they will return back to that bedding area during shooting hours, that hunting season?

If this thought is the better way to do it, then I should have scouted more this season.

I TRULY feel the reason I have yet to have real good luck is because of my in-season scouting. My in-season scouting always screwed up my deer season is the conclusion I have come up with. Ive felt this because I am in there looking for the fresh sign and moving them all over the place. In the past, I scouted during the season because I didnt make it as big of a priority as I am now. I would want to get on to deer though obviously, so I would scout and find fresh sign then hunt it, and not see anything. In the past I also never really did out of season scouting like I am this year. So I do not have a season under my belt with out of season scouting really, but thats what I am banking on being the difference maker. I may be wrong but I hope not. I am scouting as much as i can now so I can keep the pressure off of those areas as much as i possibly can during hunting season. am i missing something?

Being brand new all I can tell you is buy all of Dans DVDs. They will help tremendously. Also there are a few things that I feel are total game changers for me other than learning the where, how, and why about buck bedding. One is if you suspect an area use pre-season observation stands to confirm things from a distance. You can also use in season observation hunts where your close but not fully moved in. Spotting after dark where legal. If you cant do that you can always go into an area wind to nose and scout your way in. When you come across that fresh rub line tracks or scrape close to your suspected bedding area go ahead and set up. Another thing you can do is throw a stand at your suspected area early, rut, and late seasons. This is all stuff I have heard Dan say, that makes total sense. I think we are always looking for solid answers being new but its hard, it takes time and experience with this stuff and time on the actual property your hunting to learn it. I have heard Dan say a few times that it may take a couple seasons to get it down.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:08 pm

As others have said, Snow scouting has the advantage of being able to follow tracks right into bedding you otherwise may not have found. Also good spots to check-out next years late season.

I always like to confirm good bedding spots by, going back in just after the snow melts and before green-up. This is your best time to see the beds as they were preserved from Oct-Nov, under the snow. If those area still show bedding in strategic spots, then you're onto something. Don't forget to pick out/prep those kill tree while you're in there. Then don't go back in until you hunt it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:23 pm

If you are not able to go to one of Dan's workshops or purchase the DVDs, then the best thing you can do is read as much from the Best Tactical threads that you can BEFORE diving into the woods. Without knowing exactly what you're looking for you could be wandering aimlessly and not getting the intel you really need for season. And while in-season scouting is important, you need the spring time scouting to get you near the BUCK bedding areas, not just any deer bedding area.

Scouting with snow on the ground is tough and will not tell you the whole story. It is a great time to learn the lay of the land and, as mentioned, to follow tracks and see how the deer travel. If you find rubs near suspected bedding cover, return to those areas when the snow is gone and find the exact beds, map them on your phone or GPS, determine the best stand tree, find the best entrance and exit, then stay out. You can then spot check these areas towards fall to see if the sign is showing up again....you just need to be sure to keep it low impact by staying a safe distance from the actual bed while looking for rubs and tracks.

Biggest piece of advice I can give is to take things slow.....you will not learn it all your first year. On average it takes about 3 years for this stuff to really click. Just stick with it and actually read more than ask questions here on the forum. The information is here.....you just need to put the work in to find it.
upstateNYhunter518
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ryan.hampton.75

Unread postby upstateNYhunter518 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:52 am

dan wrote:
upstateNYhunter518 wrote:Hey beasts! Hope all your weeks went well!

Ive been doing lots of scouting on public land lately, mostly stuff close to the road. Driving around and scoping out trails crossing roads and thick trails close to the road. I have found several areas that are small cedar thickets that have several deer beds along them. Beyond the thickets is wooded marshlands, into cattail marshlands. Ive literally found atleast 20 different beds within 100 yds of the road, in just a couple small acre locations. There is a bunch of snow up this way now. Is this all just winter bedding most likely or is it possible this may be some overlooked bedding areas? I also found lots of cedar and evergreen tree bedding areas in my private property area. I have yet to really pinpoint all the bedding for my area but ive definitely found different bedding locations. Some in thick stuff on higher elevation. Most in evergreen areas. Also found lots of bedding around the cattail marsh and on the island in the cattail marsh. All the bedding I found was all recent. Can i count on any of it for next hunting season?

On another note. What would you guys say the average deer "bedding area" is, acreage or yardage wise? How do I know what seperates one area to another?

And have you guys noticed a difference in bedding in cattail marshes with transitions along wooded hills to the contrary of cattail marshes with transitions along lowland farmland? Where would you expect the bedding to be in those areas? Would it be the same, and find the bedding out in the cattail marsh just beyond the transition? Or would I expect to find the bedding in from the marsh in the thicker evergreen areas along the marsh?

Any opinions welcomed guys! Really trying to pin down locating bedding areas so I can increase my chances and get in on some deer this upcoming season. Any advice would be awesome!

I HAVE NOT READ THE RESPOSES YET... Crazy busy scouting this time of year. Finding beds right now might or might not help you during the season. 1st of f are they buck beds or doe beds? 2nd, are they winter beds? Might help you next winter in late season, but before that may be hit or miss... Most good buck bedding you find will be related to structure, just like bass fishing. A lot of the best primary bedding will have rubs both new and old for generations. But not all great bedding areas will have that... One good thing about scouting now is that tracks lead you to areas you would of possibly over looked without the tracks... Most buck bedding areas are between a 20 yard circle and 1/2 acre. But you do occasionally run across a great single bed, or a 3 acre bedding area.

If a spot looks good now, but your not sure, come back after the snow melts and see if there are good beds and or sign from during the season that was hidden by the snow.

Thanks Dan for taking the time to respond to my post. Appreciate it immensely. I will read, and reread what you and all of the guys that posted have said a hundred more times. Its only been since December since I really started checking out The Hunting Beast, before that I was trying to watch every hunting program that looked worth my time on TV. Came across The Hunting Public and I watched as much as my family would allow me to haha, which led me to The Hunting Beast. I had watched enough of those guys, to know they were legit, so when you went on the show with Joe, and the guys said they wish they could have not hunted and hunted with you to pick up on things, I knew you were someone I needed to know more about.

Thanks again for doing what you do, and inspiring so many other to do the same. I was thinking about it yesterday, sharing your craft, your secrets with others must be a humbling thing to do. I mean you put all the blood, sweat and hard work into it, and then share it with others for those to have similar success, that's just too awesome!

I am going to get the DVD's I know everyone keeps saying that, haha but I am saving for a house and its a really good thing my wife's got going with us saving money. I dont want to screw it up. I really hope she got me a dvd or two for valentines day. I havent quite figured out what the order is to the collection. Is there one you recommend I start first? I was just going to order the Marsh bedding DVD because it seems pretty common where I live, all the public areas have a marsh or two I can capitalize on. Plus, i dont think there are too many other hunters out this way, really getting into those areas and putting the extra effort in to get past the few walking trails and fields into the public.

And to follow up with your response, I think the most common thing everything is pointing for me to do is scout more. The more I really scour all the woods im hunting, especially now, just learning all the land and how the deer may use it, will help me become more successful. And keep watching the instructional stuff I find, reading books, and reading through all the threads. I will get the DVD soon and be watching that non stop. Good luck on your scouting mission and workshops!
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:19 am

G-Patt wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one. I struggled with these same questions last year, and the only simpleton answer I can give you is to do more in-season scouting. I did a ton of scouting last winter and spring. I remember logging down everything that looked like bedding, both doe and buck, trails coming and going. However, what I found the most helpful this time of year is understanding the terrain, pinches and funnel areas, access and exit strategies from just the terrain. This is THE best time of year to understand your terrain. While knowing where the beds are located helped some, I didn't know WHEN they were using these beds during hunting season because I didn't waltz in there to check to see if the beds were being used -duh! However, if I did more in-season scouting to find which beds were active, my results this year would have been much better - a big lesson learned. The point being is do your in-season scouting; don't get too worried or freaked about bumping deer; and understand your pinches and funnels.

so your recommending not just scouting to find the beds now and in the spring, but to also check those bedding areas during hunting season to know which ones are actually being used at what time of year? wouldn't that bump the deer out of that area? or will it just be a temporary bump you are counting on? My opinion would be that with this theory, its going to take more then one season of hunting and scouting to locate primary bedding areas in one location, because most likely you will be bumping deer out when you check the beds during hunting season. If they are in there when your expecting them to be and you go in to scout during season and bump them out of there, then what would the likelihood be that they will return back to that bedding area during shooting hours, that hunting season?

If this thought is the better way to do it, then I should have scouted more this season.

I TRULY feel the reason I have yet to have real good luck is because of my in-season scouting. My in-season scouting always screwed up my deer season is the conclusion I have come up with. Ive felt this because I am in there looking for the fresh sign and moving them all over the place. In the past, I scouted during the season because I didnt make it as big of a priority as I am now. I would want to get on to deer though obviously, so I would scout and find fresh sign then hunt it, and not see anything. In the past I also never really did out of season scouting like I am this year. So I do not have a season under my belt with out of season scouting really, but thats what I am banking on being the difference maker. I may be wrong but I hope not. I am scouting as much as i can now so I can keep the pressure off of those areas as much as i possibly can during hunting season. am i missing something?

Dan is a fan of scout, scout, hunt which includes in-season scouting. Also, the guys on The Hunting Public won't consider a hunt unless they do a bit of in-season scouting. Watch how they do it. Very limited impact, and they are constantly using their binoculars. Don't give up on that. Lastly, if you bump deer using a limited-impact, in-season scouting method, the odds are that if you bump or spook deer, they will 1) have difficulty picking you out from any other predator/animal; and 2) if you're scouting with the wind in your favor, they hopefully won't smell you - this is the biggee in my mind. The odds of abandoning their beds will be low. Obviously, as the season progresses and hunting pressure increases, you actually will run a higher risk they will abandon their bed if you're spotted, so you really need to make a very low-impact while in-season scouting later in the season. I think this the fun part about hunting. You will for sure be a better hunter come next season and the seasons after. Like others have mentioned, Dan's DVD's will point you in the right direction. He's a pro athlete! Good luck, and I hope you kill that bruiser next season!
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:18 am

dan wrote:

Ive been doing lots of scouting on public land lately, mostly stuff close to the road. Driving around and scoping out trails crossing roads and thick trails close to the road. I have found several areas that are small cedar thickets that have several deer beds along them. Beyond the thickets is wooded marshlands, into cattail marshlands. Ive literally found atleast 20 different beds within 100 yds of the road, in just a couple small acre locations. There is a bunch of snow up this way now. Is this all just winter bedding most likely or is it possible this may be some overlooked bedding areas? I also found lots of cedar and evergreen tree bedding areas in my private property area. I have yet to really pinpoint all the bedding for my area but ive definitely found different bedding locations. Some in thick stuff on higher elevation. Most in evergreen areas. Also found lots of bedding around the cattail marsh and on the island in the cattail marsh. All the bedding I found was all recent. Can i count on any of it for next hunting season?

On another note. What would you guys say the average deer "bedding area" is, acreage or yardage wise? How do I know what seperates one area to another?

And have you guys noticed a difference in bedding in cattail marshes with transitions along wooded hills to the contrary of cattail marshes with transitions along lowland farmland? Where would you expect the bedding to be in those areas? Would it be the same, and find the bedding out in the cattail marsh just beyond the transition? Or would I expect to find the bedding in from the marsh in the thicker evergreen areas along the marsh?

Any opinions welcomed guys! Really trying to pin down locating bedding areas so I can increase my chances and get in on some deer this upcoming season. Any advice would be awesome!

I HAVE NOT READ THE RESPOSES YET... Crazy busy scouting this time of year. Finding beds right now might or might not help you during the season. 1st of f are they buck beds or doe beds? 2nd, are they winter beds? Might help you next winter in late season, but before that may be hit or miss... Most good buck bedding you find will be related to structure, just like bass fishing. A lot of the best primary bedding will have rubs both new and old for generations. But not all great bedding areas will have that... One good thing about scouting now is that tracks lead you to areas you would of possibly over looked without the tracks... Most buck bedding areas are between a 20 yard circle and 1/2 acre. But you do occasionally run across a great single bed, or a 3 acre bedding area.

If a spot looks good now, but your not sure, come back after the snow melts and see if there are good beds and or sign from during the season that was hidden by the snow.

Thanks Dan for taking the time to respond to my post. Appreciate it immensely. I will read, and reread what you and all of the guys that posted have said a hundred more times. Its only been since December since I really started checking out The Hunting Beast, before that I was trying to watch every hunting program that looked worth my time on TV. Came across The Hunting Public and I watched as much as my family would allow me to haha, which led me to The Hunting Beast. I had watched enough of those guys, to know they were legit, so when you went on the show with Joe, and the guys said they wish they could have not hunted and hunted with you to pick up on things, I knew you were someone I needed to know more about.

Thanks again for doing what you do, and inspiring so many other to do the same. I was thinking about it yesterday, sharing your craft, your secrets with others must be a humbling thing to do. I mean you put all the blood, sweat and hard work into it, and then share it with others for those to have similar success, that's just too awesome!

I am going to get the DVD's I know everyone keeps saying that, haha but I am saving for a house and its a really good thing my wife's got going with us saving money. I dont want to screw it up. I really hope she got me a dvd or two for valentines day. I havent quite figured out what the order is to the collection. Is there one you recommend I start first? I was just going to order the Marsh bedding DVD because it seems pretty common where I live, all the public areas have a marsh or two I can capitalize on. Plus, i dont think there are too many other hunters out this way, really getting into those areas and putting the extra effort in to get past the few walking trails and fields into the public.

And to follow up with your response, I think the most common thing everything is pointing for me to do is scout more. The more I really scour all the woods im hunting, especially now, just learning all the land and how the deer may use it, will help me become more successful. And keep watching the instructional stuff I find, reading books, and reading through all the threads. I will get the DVD soon and be watching that non stop. Good luck on your scouting mission and workshops!

All the DVD's are real good. My favorite "deer" DVD is swamp, but the marsh one will get you the basics fast. I kind of dissagree with scouring the whole woods... You waste a lot of time doing that. My main scouting takes place alongt transitions and elevation. I can scout a 300 acre property in a couple hours and find 95% of the mature buck bedding. I appreciate the kind words... Main thing to remember is that big bucks bed at the highest and lowest elevations, or along edge. There not out in the middle of woods as some would have you think.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:32 am

dan wrote:Main thing to remember is that big bucks bed at the highest and lowest elevations, or along edge.

I get the edge part of this statement, but the highest and lowest elevations part confused me. Is that terrain specific to marsh/swamp? I'm a hill country hunter and have been focused on that upper third, along with benches, knobs, military crest, and edge. Just looking for a little clarification in case I'm missing an important piece of the puzzle, especially with respect to lowest elevations.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:56 am

Drenalin wrote:
dan wrote:Main thing to remember is that big bucks bed at the highest and lowest elevations, or along edge.

I get the edge part of this statement, but the highest and lowest elevations part confused me. Is that terrain specific to marsh/swamp? I'm a hill country hunter and have been focused on that upper third, along with benches, knobs, military crest, and edge. Just looking for a little clarification in case I'm missing an important piece of the puzzle, especially with respect to lowest elevations.

Correction, its not really the highest, but just down from the higest when its hill country... Just above water level, just below highest...
upstateNYhunter518

Unread postby upstateNYhunter518 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:41 pm

xpauliber wrote:You ask a ton of questions in your post and that makes it hard to answer all in the same response so that may be why a lot of guys haven't chimed in. Try to narrow down and keep it focused.

I hunt in central-PA which is mainly hardwood hills and limited fields/ag which I think is similar to what you're looking at. In my experience, I haven't ever been able to locate what I know is a buck's exact bed but I've narrowed big sections of woods down to a couple acres that I know are buck bedding AREAS. I suspect you may have to use a similar strategy and let the sign dictate to you how far you move in when you have the stand on your back and you're moving in to hunt it.
Regardless of whether it's winter or primary, make a mental note of where you're finding beds and use that knowledge in the fall when you slip in there to hunt it to plan your access route, what wind you need, etc. I'm assuming you haven't hunted this piece before so any info you can gain in he off season will help you come fall. If you aren't finding buck sign from the fall or year's past, it may just be doe bedding but then you can use that knowledge to predict where bucks will be cruising on the downwind side in the rut so keep scouting, keep observing, keep reading the BEAST & Dan's YouTube videos and you'll start putting the pieces together.

Thanks for the input xpauliber! I have actually been hunting this area for a few years now, and we have harvested deer off of it. Mostly small bucks and does. I know there are mature bucks in there, ive got a few different pics. I have also collected some good data so far as well. I have a few years worth of trail camera photos from a few different locations on the property. I also try to mark all the locations i found rubs, scrapes and beds on the HuntStand app. I am having a real hard time still pinpointing the "feeding areas" & "bedding areas". I have found a few different areas that are no more then a 30 acre square that have LOTS of rubs within the area. I am talking atleast 20 trees rubbed up minimal. Any thoughts on those high rub precentage areas?
upstateNYhunter518

Unread postby upstateNYhunter518 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:56 pm

tgreeno wrote:As others have said, Snow scouting has the advantage of being able to follow tracks right into bedding you otherwise may not have found. Also good spots to check-out next years late season.

I always like to confirm good bedding spots by, going back in just after the snow melts and before green-up. This is your best time to see the beds as they were preserved from Oct-Nov, under the snow. If those area still show bedding in strategic spots, then you're onto something. Don't forget to pick out/prep those kill tree while you're in there. Then don't go back in until you hunt it!

Thanks tgreeno! Yeah I have already stumbled upon a few spots on the property that held several beds and I had never walked thru there before and it was certainly surprising . Just followed some tracks till voila! I really like the point you say about strategic spots. I like to overanalyze everyrhing though. I seem to find what i feel is strategic attributes to generally most of the beds i find. Do you feel the more strategic, the more of an advatage a spot has, the more likely a mature buck beds there, rather then any irher deer?
upstateNYhunter518

Unread postby upstateNYhunter518 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:03 am

dan wrote:
Drenalin wrote:

Correction, its not really the highest, but just down from the higest when its hill country... Just above water level, just below highest...

So from that analysis, like you said Dan, there should really be minimal scouting needed. I mean an area is only going to have so many of those just above water level, just below the highest point spots. I need to focus in on those areas. Spend more time scouting in the areas I find the most sign in those specific spots you mentioned, rather then scouring further along, just looking for more sign. I get lost in scouting sometimes because the woods can just get so big so quick. So i keep walking thinking I am missing something, probably missing whats right there in front of me, or within a short distance atleast.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:34 am

xpauliber wrote:You ask a ton of questions in your post and that makes it hard to answer all in the same response so that may be why a lot of guys haven't chimed in. Try to narrow down and keep it focused.

I hunt in central-PA which is mainly hardwood hills and limited fields/ag which I think is similar to what you're looking at. In my experience, I haven't ever been able to locate what I know is a buck's exact bed but I've narrowed big sections of woods down to a couple acres that I know are buck bedding AREAS. I suspect you may have to use a similar strategy and let the sign dictate to you how far you move in when you have the stand on your back and you're moving in to hunt it.
Regardless of whether it's winter or primary, make a mental note of where you're finding beds and use that knowledge in the fall when you slip in there to hunt it to plan your access route, what wind you need, etc. I'm assuming you haven't hunted this piece before so any info you can gain in he off season will help you come fall. If you aren't finding buck sign from the fall or year's past, it may just be doe bedding but then you can use that knowledge to predict where bucks will be cruising on the downwind side in the rut so keep scouting, keep observing, keep reading the BEAST & Dan's YouTube videos and you'll start putting the pieces together.

Thanks for the input xpauliber! I have actually been hunting this area for a few years now, and we have harvested deer off of it. Mostly small bucks and does. I know there are mature bucks in there, ive got a few different pics. I have also collected some good data so far as well. I have a few years worth of trail camera photos from a few different locations on the property. I also try to mark all the locations i found rubs, scrapes and beds on the HuntStand app. I am having a real hard time still pinpointing the "feeding areas" & "bedding areas". I have found a few different areas that are no more then a 30 acre square that have LOTS of rubs within the area. I am talking atleast 20 trees rubbed up minimal. Any thoughts on those high rub precentage areas?

The areas I've found with lots of rubs that are dynamite are staging areas that had feed in them (acorns dropping) and they were adjacent to bedding. But it was waaay smaller than 30 acres. More like 1/4 to 1/2 acre where a buck would hang out feeding on the acorns that dropped and making an occassional rub before moving off into the fields. Are those rubs in an area that a buck would feel comfortable moving during daylight? If so, I'd try to plan an access route and stand location that's on the edge of those rubs closest to bedding. Also take into account the wind and give it a shot this fall. You may catch a buck moving out and staging there before dark.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:50 am

Do you have any daylight pictures? Can you use the time and direction of travel to help you narrow down where they're coming from?
upstateNYhunter518

Unread postby upstateNYhunter518 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:11 am

xpauliber wrote:

The areas I've found with lots of rubs that are dynamite are staging areas that had feed in them (acorns dropping) and they were adjacent to bedding. But it was waaay smaller than 30 acres. More like 1/4 to 1/2 acre where a buck would hang out feeding on the acorns that dropped and making an occassional rub before moving off into the fields. Are those rubs in an area that a buck would feel comfortable moving during daylight? If so, I'd try to plan an access route and stand location that's on the edge of those rubs closest to bedding. Also take into account the wind and give it a shot this fall. You may catch a buck moving out and staging there before dark.

Haha i meant 30 yds x 30 yards. I would say so, its beyond the edge of the ag fields in some thick regrowth of some old fields. Ill pinpoint them out in a pic
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:06 am

dan wrote:
dan wrote:

All the DVD's are real good. My favorite "deer" DVD is swamp, but the marsh one will get you the basics fast. I kind of dissagree with scouring the whole woods... You waste a lot of time doing that. My main scouting takes place alongt transitions and elevation. I can scout a 300 acre property in a couple hours and find 95% of the mature buck bedding. I appreciate the kind words... Main thing to remember is that big bucks bed at the highest and lowest elevations, or along edge. There not out in the middle of woods as some would have you think.

Dan in hill my country that rises 600 ft over 1/2 mile roughly the points are a lot more rounded and wider than narrow and pointy. I also find that there are several military crests on the way down the points that tie into benches along the sides. My question is, should I be checking the first military crest from the top or all of them the whole way down the hill? There are 2 in the top 3rd of the one hill I am scouting?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”