Current bedding vs. Hunting season bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

upstateNYhunter518
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ryan.hampton.75

Current bedding vs. Hunting season bedding

Unread postby upstateNYhunter518 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:21 am

Hey beasts! Hope all your weeks went well!

Ive been doing lots of scouting on public land lately, mostly stuff close to the road. Driving around and scoping out trails crossing roads and thick trails close to the road. I have found several areas that are small cedar thickets that have several deer beds along them. Beyond the thickets is wooded marshlands, into cattail marshlands. Ive literally found atleast 20 different beds within 100 yds of the road, in just a couple small acre locations. There is a bunch of snow up this way now. Is this all just winter bedding most likely or is it possible this may be some overlooked bedding areas? I also found lots of cedar and evergreen tree bedding areas in my private property area. I have yet to really pinpoint all the bedding for my area but ive definitely found different bedding locations. Some in thick stuff on higher elevation. Most in evergreen areas. Also found lots of bedding around the cattail marsh and on the island in the cattail marsh. All the bedding I found was all recent. Can i count on any of it for next hunting season?

On another note. What would you guys say the average deer "bedding area" is, acreage or yardage wise? How do I know what seperates one area to another?

And have you guys noticed a difference in bedding in cattail marshes with transitions along wooded hills to the contrary of cattail marshes with transitions along lowland farmland? Where would you expect the bedding to be in those areas? Would it be the same, and find the bedding out in the cattail marsh just beyond the transition? Or would I expect to find the bedding in from the marsh in the thicker evergreen areas along the marsh?

Any opinions welcomed guys! Really trying to pin down locating bedding areas so I can increase my chances and get in on some deer this upcoming season. Any advice would be awesome!

upstateNYhunter518

Re: Current bedding vs. Hunting season bedding

Unread postby upstateNYhunter518 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:13 am

Did I do/say something wrong? Not sure why I haven't had any response back on this topic. It had been bugging me for a few days and I thought for sure once I had the time to post on the subject, people would help with feedback in answering some of my questions. I really thought I was onto something with my findings in solving one small piece of the puzzle. Or at least obtaining information about one small piece of the puzzle. It sucks when you're limited by time and resources and you have the desire to learn but you come up on walls and questions you can't quite figure out. Ill keep trudging, keep preparing for whats ahead. Got a little bit of time this morning before some other family activities this afternoon. Going to drive to a couple spots with the kids and wife and show some public areas that I'm interested in scouting and taking them to this spring and summer. Fishing and barbecue is also in this area so I think it will be a good time

And if anyone can find the time to respond back on this subject and offer any sort of an opinion or advice, that would be great. Thanks in advance fellow beasts!
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Hey Upstate...

Don't worry about no responses to your posts yet..... Give it a few more days past the weekend..

You cover many different questions about bedding. Just the title of your post " current bedding vs. hunting bedding" shows you already are thinking on the right track ! Some bedding areas change throughout the year, some don't. I think those evergreen/cedar areas with bedding this time of year could be winter bedding. All I can say is just keep at it ! The more you scout the better you will get. Spot check these beds you find at different times of the year and you should start to figure some things out. (Of course don't blow into bedding spots right before you want to hunt).

The islands you found in the cattails sounds like a real good spot ! I might consider that a primary bedding area compared to your other spots you mentioned.

If you haven't yet, get Dan's DVD's. All of this will be explained in detail. Also, check/read the "all time best tactical threads" on the beast..
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:54 pm

What I have noticed in the short time I have been looking for beds is that if there is an area of thicker pine near primary bedding they will be in it during very cold conditions.... For instance I have a thick hillside that slopes to the south that serves as primary bedding. To the west about 150 yards on that same slope is heavy pine along with a pine thicket about 60 ayrds into the crp bordering this slope to the southwest. We have been in a cold snap around 0 degrees and all those deer are bedded in the pine. So the deer made a small adjustment based on temps. Sounds like you have the same going on ? I'd bet the primary is in this cattails during the majority of the year but they are dialed on those pines now due to temps and I am sure the cattails have been knocked down due to snow therefore removing cover. The pines are likely thicker this time of year as well. Idk just what I have found in my area. I am in rolling farm land and I have found the deer don't move to a new area for winter really at all. They just make smaller adjustments. Best wishes! The only way to truly know is to spot check it.
upstateNYhunter518

Unread postby upstateNYhunter518 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 am

strutnrut716 wrote:Hey Upstate...

Don't worry about no responses to your posts yet..... Give it a few more days past the weekend..

You cover many different questions about bedding. Just the title of your post " current bedding vs. hunting bedding" shows you already are thinking on the right track ! Some bedding areas change throughout the year, some don't. I think those evergreen/cedar areas with bedding this time of year could be winter bedding. All I can say is just keep at it ! The more you scout the better you will get. Spot check these beds you find at different times of the year and you should start to figure some things out. (Of course don't blow into bedding spots right before you want to hunt).

The islands you found in the cattails sounds like a real good spot ! I might consider that a primary bedding area compared to your other spots you mentioned.

If you haven't yet, get Dan's DVD's. All of this will be explained in detail. Also, check/read the "all time best tactical threads" on the beast..

Thanks for the input strutnrutu716! Confirmation of ideas or thoughts, or just knowing your headed somewhat in the right direction is helpful. Thank you!

I have heard a few people say that a bedding area is a bedding area, whether its winter or summer spring or fall.... deer will bed there. I think that its situational. One thought I hadn't really figured yet was the spot checking. Now that I have been in there and found several areas of beds. I will check back in on them. When would you check back on them to see about hunting season use, without spooking them out just before the season? How many times? I do plan on doing some observation sits ahead of the season so I can scope out whats going on without getting in too tight. The less pressure I can lead into it with the better of course.

As for the cattail bedding. It seems so sporatic. I really need to walk around the entire transition of the cattails all the way around the marsh and then zero in on the best bedding but I think i may have an idea.But you would most likely consider those areas primary bedding? I would assume your referring to primary, mature buck bedding?

As for the DVD's.... with Xmas just left us, I waited to let my wife know i wanted the DVD's haha I know they are pretty inexpensive, but we are saving all we can for a house so every penny counts. I am going to start with the Marsh Bedding DVD. I told her about it last week that I wanted it and sent the link to her. It will probably show up for Valentine's Day im hoping!!!
upstateNYhunter518

Unread postby upstateNYhunter518 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:17 am

BBH1980 wrote:What I have noticed in the short time I have been looking for beds is that if there is an area of thicker pine near primary bedding they will be in it during very cold conditions.... For instance I have a thick hillside that slopes to the south that serves as primary bedding. To the west about 150 yards on that same slope is heavy pine along with a pine thicket about 60 ayrds into the crp bordering this slope to the southwest. We have been in a cold snap around 0 degrees and all those deer are bedded in the pine. So the deer made a small adjustment based on temps. Sounds like you have the same going on ? I'd bet the primary is in this cattails during the majority of the year but they are dialed on those pines now due to temps and I am sure the cattails have been knocked down due to snow therefore removing cover. The pines are likely thicker this time of year as well. Idk just what I have found in my area. I am in rolling farm land and I have found the deer don't move to a new area for winter really at all. They just make smaller adjustments. Best wishes! The only way to truly know is to spot check it.

That all makes sense to me. Thanks for the input BBH1980! I guess since It seems like I have certainly pinpointed what may be their winter bedding areas. Now I have to figure out where there primary bedding exactly is. I think that is what I am struggling to find the most. would it make sense that if there are a lot of areas that had been cut and theres like these strip corridors with evergreens clustered in sections in the middle and around them (thats where I am finding there beds now), that the deer might be bedding along the edges of the clear cut areas during the regular season. I forgot to mention that there is a chunk of atleast 50 acres surronding the marsh that is all clear cut woods from about 6 to 7 years ago. When I say clear cut, most of the evergreen stuff was left and oak and maples. So there is all these winding sections that are somewhat open from above. Its mostly taller grasses, vines and prickly bushes and berry bushes. in these clearer areas. all these areas are generally flat. There are some slight hills, elevation changes but very minimal.
upstateNYhunter518

Unread postby upstateNYhunter518 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:00 am

here is an aerial view of the section of woods i am referring too with boundary lines

here is some of the bedding i have pin pointed already

here is a topo view of the area:

BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:55 am

upstateNYhunter518 wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:What I have noticed in the short time I have been looking for beds is that if there is an area of thicker pine near primary bedding they will be in it during very cold conditions.... For instance I have a thick hillside that slopes to the south that serves as primary bedding. To the west about 150 yards on that same slope is heavy pine along with a pine thicket about 60 ayrds into the crp bordering this slope to the southwest. We have been in a cold snap around 0 degrees and all those deer are bedded in the pine. So the deer made a small adjustment based on temps. Sounds like you have the same going on ? I'd bet the primary is in this cattails during the majority of the year but they are dialed on those pines now due to temps and I am sure the cattails have been knocked down due to snow therefore removing cover. The pines are likely thicker this time of year as well. Idk just what I have found in my area. I am in rolling farm land and I have found the deer don't move to a new area for winter really at all. They just make smaller adjustments. Best wishes! The only way to truly know is to spot check it.

That all makes sense to me. Thanks for the input BBH1980! I guess since It seems like I have certainly pinpointed what may be their winter bedding areas. Now I have to figure out where there primary bedding exactly is. I think that is what I am struggling to find the most. would it make sense that if there are a lot of areas that had been cut and theres like these strip corridors with evergreens clustered in sections in the middle and around them (thats where I am finding there beds now), that the deer might be bedding along the edges of the clear cut areas during the regular season. I forgot to mention that there is a chunk of atleast 50 acres surronding the marsh that is all clear cut woods from about 6 to 7 years ago. When I say clear cut, most of the evergreen stuff was left and oak and maples. So there is all these winding sections that are somewhat open from above. Its mostly taller grasses, vines and prickly bushes and berry bushes. in these clearer areas. all these areas are generally flat. There are some slight hills, elevation changes but very minimal.

I really like the marsh, that would be the first place I'd look come spring. Even now you can. Look for old and new rubs off points or in bowls, rub lines coming out of the marsh. The second place I'd look is that eastern facing slope overlooking the AG depending on how much cover is on that slope ... Again that depends if they are feeding in that ag and what's planted there. Id also want to check any areas that overlook human access points that no one really goes to. An overlooked area free from human intrusion. Are there any oaks or apples around that marsh ? This time of year I'm also looking at tracks in the snow big tracks usually equals big deer as does large droppings.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:05 am

upstateNYhunter518 wrote:here is an aerial view of the section of woods i am referring too with boundary lines

BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:08 am

upstateNYhunter518 wrote:here is an aerial view of the section of woods i am referring too with boundary lines

Here are the areas that jumped out at me. On the eastern slope I'd look for patches of thick and small nobs you cant see on the topo. This time of year I'm looking for where I think they would bed along with rubs old and new I cant see where the access to the property is but I'd look around there as well.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:19 am

upstateNYhunter518 wrote:Hey beasts! Hope all your weeks went well!

Ive been doing lots of scouting on public land lately, mostly stuff close to the road. Driving around and scoping out trails crossing roads and thick trails close to the road. I have found several areas that are small cedar thickets that have several deer beds along them. Beyond the thickets is wooded marshlands, into cattail marshlands. Ive literally found atleast 20 different beds within 100 yds of the road, in just a couple small acre locations. There is a bunch of snow up this way now. Is this all just winter bedding most likely or is it possible this may be some overlooked bedding areas? I also found lots of cedar and evergreen tree bedding areas in my private property area. I have yet to really pinpoint all the bedding for my area but ive definitely found different bedding locations. Some in thick stuff on higher elevation. Most in evergreen areas. Also found lots of bedding around the cattail marsh and on the island in the cattail marsh. All the bedding I found was all recent. Can i count on any of it for next hunting season?

On another note. What would you guys say the average deer "bedding area" is, acreage or yardage wise? How do I know what seperates one area to another?

And have you guys noticed a difference in bedding in cattail marshes with transitions along wooded hills to the contrary of cattail marshes with transitions along lowland farmland? Where would you expect the bedding to be in those areas? Would it be the same, and find the bedding out in the cattail marsh just beyond the transition? Or would I expect to find the bedding in from the marsh in the thicker evergreen areas along the marsh?

Any opinions welcomed guys! Really trying to pin down locating bedding areas so I can increase my chances and get in on some deer this upcoming season. Any advice would be awesome!

I HAVE NOT READ THE RESPOSES YET... Crazy busy scouting this time of year. Finding beds right now might or might not help you during the season. 1st of f are they buck beds or doe beds? 2nd, are they winter beds? Might help you next winter in late season, but before that may be hit or miss... Most good buck bedding you find will be related to structure, just like bass fishing. A lot of the best primary bedding will have rubs both new and old for generations. But not all great bedding areas will have that... One good thing about scouting now is that tracks lead you to areas you would of possibly over looked without the tracks... Most buck bedding areas are between a 20 yard circle and 1/2 acre. But you do occasionally run across a great single bed, or a 3 acre bedding area.

If a spot looks good now, but your not sure, come back after the snow melts and see if there are good beds and or sign from during the season that was hidden by the snow.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:09 am

You ask a ton of questions in your post and that makes it hard to answer all in the same response so that may be why a lot of guys haven't chimed in. Try to narrow down and keep it focused.

I hunt in central-PA which is mainly hardwood hills and limited fields/ag which I think is similar to what you're looking at. In my experience, I haven't ever been able to locate what I know is a buck's exact bed but I've narrowed big sections of woods down to a couple acres that I know are buck bedding AREAS. I suspect you may have to use a similar strategy and let the sign dictate to you how far you move in when you have the stand on your back and you're moving in to hunt it.

Regardless of whether it's winter or primary, make a mental note of where you're finding beds and use that knowledge in the fall when you slip in there to hunt it to plan your access route, what wind you need, etc. I'm assuming you haven't hunted this piece before so any info you can gain in he off season will help you come fall. If you aren't finding buck sign from the fall or year's past, it may just be doe bedding but then you can use that knowledge to predict where bucks will be cruising on the downwind side in the rut so keep scouting, keep observing, keep reading the BEAST & Dan's YouTube videos and you'll start putting the pieces together.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:47 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I struggled with these same questions last year, and the only simpleton answer I can give you is to do more in-season scouting. I did a ton of scouting last winter and spring. I remember logging down everything that looked like bedding, both doe and buck, trails coming and going. However, what I found the most helpful this time of year is understanding the terrain, pinches and funnel areas, access and exit strategies from just the terrain. This is THE best time of year to understand your terrain. While knowing where the beds are located helped some, I didn't know WHEN they were using these beds during hunting season because I didn't waltz in there to check to see if the beds were being used -duh! However, if I did more in-season scouting to find which beds were active, my results this year would have been much better - a big lesson learned. The point being is do your in-season scouting; don't get too worried or freaked about bumping deer; and understand your pinches and funnels.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:19 am

Thanks Upstate. Yes to all of the above, especially what Dan said.
In addition, observation sits are GOOD ! And circling your area on the outside is great !

Also, just a tip.... When you post photos of your area be sure to black out (cross out) the GPS coordinates and road names, etc. I'm always concerned that someone else would pick up on those spots. Apparently there are trolls surfing sites like ours, looking for easy spots..
upstateNYhunter518

Unread postby upstateNYhunter518 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:41 am

G-Patt wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one. I struggled with these same questions last year, and the only simpleton answer I can give you is to do more in-season scouting. I did a ton of scouting last winter and spring. I remember logging down everything that looked like bedding, both doe and buck, trails coming and going. However, what I found the most helpful this time of year is understanding the terrain, pinches and funnel areas, access and exit strategies from just the terrain. This is THE best time of year to understand your terrain. While knowing where the beds are located helped some, I didn't know WHEN they were using these beds during hunting season because I didn't waltz in there to check to see if the beds were being used -duh! However, if I did more in-season scouting to find which beds were active, my results this year would have been much better - a big lesson learned. The point being is do your in-season scouting; don't get too worried or freaked about bumping deer; and understand your pinches and funnels.

so your recommending not just scouting to find the beds now and in the spring, but to also check those bedding areas during hunting season to know which ones are actually being used at what time of year? wouldn't that bump the deer out of that area? or will it just be a temporary bump you are counting on? My opinion would be that with this theory, its going to take more then one season of hunting and scouting to locate primary bedding areas in one location, because most likely you will be bumping deer out when you check the beds during hunting season. If they are in there when your expecting them to be and you go in to scout during season and bump them out of there, then what would the likelihood be that they will return back to that bedding area during shooting hours, that hunting season?

If this thought is the better way to do it, then I should have scouted more this season.

I TRULY feel the reason I have yet to have real good luck is because of my in-season scouting. My in-season scouting always screwed up my deer season is the conclusion I have come up with. Ive felt this because I am in there looking for the fresh sign and moving them all over the place. In the past, I scouted during the season because I didnt make it as big of a priority as I am now. I would want to get on to deer though obviously, so I would scout and find fresh sign then hunt it, and not see anything. In the past I also never really did out of season scouting like I am this year. So I do not have a season under my belt with out of season scouting really, but thats what I am banking on being the difference maker. I may be wrong but I hope not. I am scouting as much as i can now so I can keep the pressure off of those areas as much as i possibly can during hunting season. am i missing something?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”