Corn fields

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Corn fields

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:08 am

Ever set up just inside the last row of a cornfield In a ground blind for archery?

Thinking this September taking the machete and clearing a small patch to set the ground blind in. And maybe just top the stalks for the shooting window

Thoughts

Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
strutnrut716
500 Club

Re: Corn fields

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:29 am

Toad Smith has a pretty good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1iTtqgnOeQ&t=130s

I had a spot this year where I should have tried it from the ground but didn't. Ended up passing on a doe while I was in a tree along the corn field. It sure can be great action when they are hitting the corn hard !!
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:15 am

strutnrut716 wrote:Toad Smith has a pretty good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1iTtqgnOeQ&t=130s

I had a spot this year where I should have tried it from the ground but didn't. Ended up passing on a doe while I was in a tree along the corn field. It sure can be great action when they are hitting the corn hard !!

Thanks all check it out
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:28 am

Back when I had permission on private I used to hunt up in the corn. Some of the most exciting hunts I have ever been on were from sittin atop a 5 gallon bucket in a flood damaged cornfield. The water had killed the corn in the low places, leaving points and coves through out. The best evening I had up in there, I saw 49 deer. Some nearly within arms reach. I ended up sailing an arrow harmlessly over the back of a B&C class buck, before the farmer got the corn picked. At which point my fun in the corn, ended. If I still had that spot, I'd do it again, ever chance I got.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Absolutely! Did this tonight without a blind. Use the corn as your cover and find a shooting lane. Had 5 bucks within 40 yds before another hunter after coyotes spooked them before entering my shooting lane. Awesome for late season! Everyone is attracted to corn early on and it tends to get boogered up for awhile till things calm down. Late season is the bomb on standing corn.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
The Silence

Unread postby The Silence » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:11 pm

I set up in my ghillie suit on a small stool 7-9 rows back in the standing corn. Bent corn stalks over in order to make the shot. The opening of the first row of corn was about 5 feet wide and slowly narrowed to a point where I was sitting. There was an active scrape just to the right of the opening. I had my release attached to my bow string as I sat there. It was October 11th and the first below zero night was coming as well as having the moon overhead. He came to the scrape at 4:50, all of a sudden he was standing there at the opening, stopped and started licking the overhead branches. He had no idea I was there. I shot him at 8 yards. He field dressed at 215 lbs. He was my first mature buck.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:54 am

I have set up in corn fields many times. Can be a deadly tactic. Like others have said, no need for a blind... if you go to the all time best tactical threads, look for “success from the ground”. There’s a diagram in there of how I like to set up.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:17 am

Thanks all

Figured it was doable

Lockdown wrote:I have set up in corn fields many times. Can be a deadly tactic. Like others have said, no need for a blind... if you go to the all time best tactical threads, look for “success from the ground”. There’s a diagram in there of how I like to set up.

This will be for the boy

He has a bit trouble sitting still(although he’s come a long way). The blind will help him
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:12 pm

Sailfish_WC wrote:Thanks all

Figured it was doable

Lockdown wrote:I have set up in corn fields many times. Can be a deadly tactic. Like others have said, no need for a blind... if you go to the all time best tactical threads, look for “success from the ground”. There’s a diagram in there of how I like to set up.

This will be for the boy

He has a bit trouble sitting still(although he’s come a long way). The blind will help him

I agree. Blind would be a good bet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”