How far is "way back in"?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: How far is "way back in"?

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:35 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:Met a Benoit out there once though!

So I will ask....what’s a Benoit?

They are snow trackers, shot a lot of big bucks that way.

camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:15 am

I will do between 3 and 12 miles a day with elevation changes up to 2000’. We walk a lot in the hills of Colorado.
Gregkrause

Unread postby Gregkrause » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:59 pm

The main public property I hunt is 5000 acres, Archery only and you must park at certain designated parking areas. You have to hunt from a tree and you must take your stand in and out with you. There are hiking trails but almost no one will be more than a mile, by trail from the parking spots. If I walk 1-2 miles, no one will be there. If I go into areas where you can’t get a climber, regardless of how far in, no one will be there. If I hunt a nasty swamp or on top of a steep ridge, no one is there. It’s all about over looked spots. Not always just “deep”. I killed two of my best bucks just out of sight of my truck on heavily hunted public land. Really tough spots to hunt and everyone walked right by them. Both bucks were over 5.5 years old.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:30 am

Way back in is counted by the number of obstacles you have to cross...

Shin deep creek- 1/2 the guys don’t
Steep ridge- 1/2 the remaining
Swamp- probably just a couple beasts guys per season are left, or you might find an old gun stand.
Etc...

If there’s boat/kayak/ private access around obstacles, reset the counter coming in from that way. I try to assume private access isn’t being used. Find that to be the case about 1/2 the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”