Read and Succeed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Read and Succeed

Unread postby funderburk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:03 am

During the "off-season" (like there's an off-season :lol: ) I like to do lots of reading and research so I can go into the next season hopefully a little wiser than the year before. With that said, I'd love to compile a list of hunting books that have truly had a major impact on you. I just purchased Brad Herndon's "Mapping Trophy Bucks" last night after hearing so many great things about it.

Any other suggestions?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Read and Succeed

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:59 am

Yeah, read here. Seriously. I mean, if you haven’t done it, read every thread in the Tactical thread. I mean every single one.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471

Then find stuff from guys who hunt in similar parts of the country/terrain as you, do a forum search on their posts and read them. I did that with Singing Bridge, for example, and just listened to two podcasts with him.

There was just a thread called “Pump the Brakes” that Drenalin just bumped up. It was great. Helped reveal stuff I made early mistakes on that, even though I self-corrected on some of it on subsequent scouts, I wish I had seen earlier to serve as reminders. Like that voice in your head. I heard Dan’s when I found this insane annual rub zone, then thought “Dan would say, ‘ok, great. Where’s he bedding?’” So that’s what I did. Some of the stuff Scott mentioned in that Pump thread would have had the same effect.

This place is a freaking gold mine and, just like gold, you gotta dig to find it. My recommendation would be to mine it clean. Won’t cost you a dime. ;)

It’s going to take a while. I keep discovering nuggets with every search I do,
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:10 am

"Buckskin & Bone" - Gene Wensel

"Come November" - Gene Wensel

"Whitetail Magic" - Roger Rothhaar

"Whitetail Access" - Chris Eberhart

"Precision Bowhunting" - John & Chris Eberhart

"Aggressive Whitetail Hunting" - Greg Miller

I've read all these and enjoyed them.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:32 am

I picked up a book many years ago called real world whitetail behavior by Jim Roy. That book changed everything for me. I have never found anything as helpful until I found the beast.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:43 am

funderburk wrote:During the "off-season" (like there's an off-season :lol: ) I like to do lots of reading and research so I can go into the next season hopefully a little wiser than the year before. With that said, I'd love to compile a list of hunting books that have truly had a major impact on you. I just purchased Brad Herndon's "Mapping Trophy Bucks" last night after hearing so many great things about it.

Any other suggestions?

I own that book and read it a few times. For me the last few years my number #1 resource by far is Dan's podcasts. If you do exactly as he says and don't cheat or lie to yourself well then you're golden. I cut corners my first year or so. But then the last 2 years have been my best year of my life and its from not cutting corners and doing EXACTLY as he says.

Hunting Beast episodes 1, 2, and 5. I also like if you google "dan infalt podcast 207" its a traditional bow hunting website. He does into so much detail for almost 2 hours. I know b/c i actually just listened to it the other day lol.

Now is the time to soak that all up so you're ready for spring scouting.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:08 am

greenhorndave wrote:Yeah, read here. Seriously. I mean, if you haven’t done it, read every thread in the Tactical thread. I mean every single one.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=24471

Then find stuff from guys who hunt in similar parts of the country/terrain as you, do a forum search on their posts and read them. I did that with Singing Bridge, for example, and just listened to two podcasts with him.

There was just a thread called “Pump the Brakes” that Drenalin just bumped up. It was great. Helped reveal stuff I made early mistakes on that, even though I self-corrected on some of it on subsequent scouts, I wish I had seen earlier to serve as reminders. Like that voice in your head. I heard Dan’s when I found this insane annual rub zone, then thought “Dan would say, ‘ok, great. Where’s he bedding?’” So that’s what I did. Some of the stuff Scott mentioned in that Pump thread would have had the same effect.

This place is a freaking gold mine and, just like gold, you gotta dig to find it. My recommendation would be to mine it clean. Won’t cost you a dime. ;)

It’s going to take a while. I keep discovering nuggets with every search I do,

Yes sir! I mine here every day ;)
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:10 am

thwack16 wrote:"Buckskin & Bone" - Gene Wensel

"Come November" - Gene Wensel

"Whitetail Magic" - Roger Rothhaar

"Whitetail Access" - Chris Eberhart

"Precision Bowhunting" - John & Chris Eberhart

"Aggressive Whitetail Hunting" - Greg Miller

I've read all these and enjoyed them.

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to make a list. I'll be checking these out!
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:11 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:I picked up a book many years ago called real world whitetail behavior by Jim Roy. That book changed everything for me. I have never found anything as helpful until I found the beast.

Man, that's saying something for sure. I'll track it down!
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:12 am

rfickes87 wrote:
funderburk wrote:During the "off-season" (like there's an off-season :lol: ) I like to do lots of reading and research so I can go into the next season hopefully a little wiser than the year before. With that said, I'd love to compile a list of hunting books that have truly had a major impact on you. I just purchased Brad Herndon's "Mapping Trophy Bucks" last night after hearing so many great things about it.

Any other suggestions?

I own that book and read it a few times. For me the last few years my number #1 resource by far is Dan's podcasts. If you do exactly as he says and don't cheat or lie to yourself well then you're golden. I cut corners my first year or so. But then the last 2 years have been my best year of my life and its from not cutting corners and doing EXACTLY as he says.

Hunting Beast episodes 1, 2, and 5. I also like if you google "dan infalt podcast 207" its a traditional bow hunting website. He does into so much detail for almost 2 hours. I know b/c i actually just listened to it the other day lol.

Now is the time to soak that all up so you're ready for spring scouting.

Excellentttttt. Thanks bud!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”