Joe Rentmeester- stone cold killer.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Joe Rentmeester- stone cold killer.

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:37 pm

PredatorTC wrote:Sorry to let you down guys! No kill! During the last hour the wind switched and blew straight into bedding. Then during the last 10 minutes of legal light I saw them circling way out heading out to the crop fields. Two big racks and two antlerless deer, a group of four. I don't think they were bedded off of the island, I think they were bedded in the other pocket where the really white rack deer was in the first video. These deer would have had to have been killed from the ground, as they did not walk by any trees.

It was a fun season!

The journey was great. A lot of last-minute drama that was great to see.

Would a booner have been a great bow on the package? Sure. But taking us along on the journey helps make it instructive in not killing one as well.

Thanks a bunch.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Way to play it out til the end! Thanks for the ride Joe!
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:57 pm

:clap: :clap:

Well done Joe.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
northwoods hunter

Unread postby northwoods hunter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:29 pm

Courageous effort Joe! When you are old you can share the story with your grandkids of when you hunted the big Monarch in sub-zero temps!
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Way to stick it out til the end Joe! This was about as exciting to watch as the challenge....keeps us all on the edge of our chairs! :clap:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:34 pm

:D :clap:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:31 pm

No apologies necessary. It was great following along. This season may have ended, but I have a feeling that booners days are numbered. Congratulations on the journey. Some great memories there and look how much you've learned and experienced. Again, thanks for allowing us to follow the journey. :clap:
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:57 pm

Thanks Joe. This was fun.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:15 pm

PredatorTC wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:Dan & Joe, do you guys think that a lot of these bucks will be in this area come opener of next season or is this a place that heats up in late season?
Seems like if the deer are bedding in there in the early season you have a very good feel for how they use the marsh.

In spots like this for myself, I see them in them year-round, and I think Dan would say the same for this spot based on his experiences.

Dan?

Yea, they are in this area year round
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:19 pm

braveheart wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:Dan & Joe, do you guys think that a lot of these bucks will be in this area come opener of next season or is this a place that heats up in late season?
Seems like if the deer are bedding in there in the early season you have a very good feel for how they use the marsh.

In spots like this for myself, I see them in them year-round, and I think Dan would say the same for this spot based on his experiences.

Dan?

Nice job Joe! :clap: :clap: Is this place accessible without ice or would you have to swim to get there? Lol

I hunt it early season but its very hard to access. Usually get wet at least 1/2 way up your body and its extremely thick and hard to navigate. Ice helps tremendously. Also its really hard tio shoot or even see ther deer without ice cause they sink down and the cattails are so high.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:13 am

dan wrote:
braveheart wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:

Dan?

Nice job Joe! :clap: :clap: Is this place accessible without ice or would you have to swim to get there? Lol

I hunt it early season but its very hard to access. Usually get wet at least 1/2 way up your body and its extremely thick and hard to navigate. Ice helps tremendously. Also its really hard tio shoot or even see ther deer without ice cause they sink down and the cattails are so high.

Do they make it onto the island that Joe was hanging his stand before shooting hours expire? (early season)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:01 am

Incredible effort...well done.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:38 am

Thanks ! Joe and Dan for teaching us late season smackdown tactics !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:42 pm

PredatorTC wrote:Sorry to let you down guys! No kill! During the last hour the wind switched and blew straight into bedding. Then during the last 10 minutes of legal light I saw them circling way out heading out to the crop fields. Two big racks and two antlerless deer, a group of four. I don't think they were bedded off of the island, I think they were bedded in the other pocket where the really white rack deer was in the first video. These deer would have had to have been killed from the ground, as they did not walk by any trees.

It was a fun season!

This was in no way a letdown for us. It will be additional inspiration for me. Although your are quite a bit younger I’ll still think about you on the tough weather days. Although you didn’t get your buck, you have shown what it takes for the public land hunter to score...how tough it is, and how much effort it takes, even when you have the master helping. That is a great lesson for all of us.
Last edited by mheichelbech on Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Weezy

Unread postby Weezy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:00 pm

Thanks for taking us along. This is the best site on the internet, Thanks Dan.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”