Pa rifle season SATURDAY opener

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Josh_S
500 Club

Re: Pa rifle season SATURDAY opener

Unread postby Josh_S » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:32 am

elk yinzer wrote:
mauser06 wrote:I do believe it's the "gateway" to Sunday hunting. But if everyone wants to bicker and cry and oppose it (most people on bigger forums are turning inside out) we might not see Sundays for a while longer....

With Saturday openers they can logically say "it just makes sense.....".

I've been hearing from some pretty reliable sources Sunday is pretty much a done deal either way. But there's a pretty good chance we won't see full implementation for deer right away. PGC will phase it in slow for big game. I'd be more than happy with that, I'd love to just take the .22 for a walk and shoot some squirrels, ya know? Ten, fifteen years from now I think we'll be bowhunting any Saturday or Sunday we want from Oct to Feb. We'll get there one step at a time.I think it's a vocal minority that is putting up the fight against the Saturday rifle opener. Bunch of older guys just stuck on the way we've always done it. Stubborn. Man, I love the tradition! PA rifle season is so unique and cool. I am gonna miss the Monday opener, but it's just time, ya know? It just makes too much sense for some people to handle. What kind of bonehead thinks the tradition is going to be ruined by moving it up two days? It's gonna make it better!

There are certainly going to be some guys that this change means they are going to miss the opener for work and family reasons. I really do feel for them, but that's just life. Act like a grown man. Do what you gotta do to get out there, or live with it. Pitching a hissy fit ain't doing nobody good.

This'll probably get quoted out of context but...Don't even get me into the generational component of it. My grandpap's generation never would've whined and carried on like this. He always said in his older days of hunting that he had his time, and it's time to let the younger generations take over. Selfless was a common trait of that generation. Now these older guys are all me, me, me, me, me. Just defiant. No sense of greater good or passing the torch whatsoever. Man, stop me now. Just shaking my head. I think the board is going to be smart enough to look past the factors at play here and do what is best.

God I hope you are right about a longer bow season. Personally I'm not much of a rifle hunter, but for the good of the sport I can't see how anybody could possibly be against the Saturday rifle opener. This is going to give an opportunity to a lot of kids whose parents could not get the first Monday off. Great job PA Game Commission.

BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:18 pm

elk yinzer wrote:
mauser06 wrote:I do believe it's the "gateway" to Sunday hunting. But if everyone wants to bicker and cry and oppose it (most people on bigger forums are turning inside out) we might not see Sundays for a while longer....

With Saturday openers they can logically say "it just makes sense.....".

I've been hearing from some pretty reliable sources Sunday is pretty much a done deal either way. But there's a pretty good chance we won't see full implementation for deer right away. PGC will phase it in slow for big game. I'd be more than happy with that, I'd love to just take the .22 for a walk and shoot some squirrels, ya know? Ten, fifteen years from now I think we'll be bowhunting any Saturday or Sunday we want from Oct to Feb. We'll get there one step at a time.

I think it's a vocal minority that is putting up the fight against the Saturday rifle opener. Bunch of older guys just stuck on the way we've always done it. Stubborn. Man, I love the tradition! PA rifle season is so unique and cool. I am gonna miss the Monday opener, but it's just time, ya know? It just makes too much sense for some people to handle. What kind of bonehead thinks the tradition is going to be ruined by moving it up two days? It's gonna make it better!

There are certainly going to be some guys that this change means they are going to miss the opener for work and family reasons. I really do feel for them, but that's just life. Act like a grown man. Do what you gotta do to get out there, or live with it. Pitching a hissy fit ain't doing nobody good.

This'll probably get quoted out of context but...Don't even get me into the generational component of it. My grandpap's generation never would've whined and carried on like this. He always said in his older days of hunting that he had his time, and it's time to let the younger generations take over. Selfless was a common trait of that generation. Now these older guys are all me, me, me, me, me. Just defiant. No sense of greater good or passing the torch whatsoever. Man, stop me now. Just shaking my head. I think the board is going to be smart enough to look past the factors at play here and do what is best.

I don't think anyone could have said it better!
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:56 am

Sunday hunting in Pa is far from a done deal, as the current bill is only asking for limited Sundays six Sundays to be exact, one during spring turkey, two in archery two in bear and two in deer rifle. While that would be a significant improvement it's still not granting the pgc the power to set the seasons at will. While two Sundays in archery season is two more then we have now, what is it really accomplishing? There should be no reason to restrict Sunday what so ever, other people saying they want people off of their property one day out of the week.... If Sunday hunting were allowed you can tell people to stay off your property when ever the he!! You wanted it's your property. It's not a logical reason. . .
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:29 pm

Hey guys. SB 147 is expected to get voted out of the Senate G&F committee tomorrow and then to be voted on by the entire senate. A Sunday Hunting BIll has never been voted out of committee before. This bill gives full authority to the PGC for all Sundays. It doesn't require that they allow hunting on them all but just gives them the authority. I am hearing that this thing has a real good shot. Heard the NRA is really pushing it this time as well. We shall see.
Steelhead125
Facebook: Bruce Kozielec

Unread postby Steelhead125 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:48 pm

Sort of indifferent to the rifle opener. Not crazy about the muzzleloader bear season. Guys are pretty much going to be driving out all the bedding areas in the middle of October. Already scouting and trying to learn new places that I feel won’t be affected by it. Still think it’s crazy to drive for bear with rattlesnakes not being denned up yet. I have ran into them that time of year without even getting into the thick stuff.
Public Land Hunter
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Steelhead125 wrote:Sort of indifferent to the rifle opener. Not crazy about the muzzleloader bear season. Guys are pretty much going to be driving out all the bedding areas in the middle of October. Already scouting and trying to learn new places that I feel won’t be affected by it. Still think it’s crazy to drive for bear with rattlesnakes not being denned up yet. I have ran into them that time of year without even getting into the thick stuff.

I'm not thrilled about the early muzz season for bear either. It will definitely put a lot of hunters in the woods walking all over the place.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”