Bucks on the buzzer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Bucks on the buzzer

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:25 am

Too cold for human scent! And Joe is bundled up - better than having scent-lock.

Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:46 am

PredatorTC wrote:Thanks for caring guys! I'm home now and alive :D

Today was a dud. Even the deer thought it was too cold. I think yesterday was a one-off when the deer were on the mainland early like they were. I should have been back on the island tonight.

I have off if work tommorow, but I'm not dumb enough to go out. This may be it because I have to work Thursday, but I would be foolish to not try and get off of work for the last day. The weather Thursday would be perfect!

Do it!
Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:38 am

Did you make it till dark on stand? Be honest how rough was that sit? Coldest I've sat was air temp -14 wind chill -27 just shy of a half mile walk one way and I timed it so that by the time I hung and climbed it was maybe an hour and a half sit. It wasn't comfortable but the way I went about it, it wasn't miserable either and I had fun, saw a ton of deer and the big 150 I was hoping to see. Usually when its this cold its dead calm, this is that extra arctic stuff. I was genuinely worried we'd see this thread turn into a Rentmeester recovery and tribute thread.

Kids, don't try this at home If you're wrong in these conditions you're minutes away from death by hypothermia. Like Joe said this weather is a regular day on MT. Everest. So many people die climbing Everest that they just leave the frozen corpses there because its too dangerous to recover them. The people going up there know this risk so don't kid yourself if you're out in these conditions.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:23 am

Also curious how miserable it was. Coldest I've been out was -30s wind chill, but I was gun hunting and on the ground so I walked it light and dressed like the stay puff marshmallow man once to my spot. The HBS is a lifesaver in said conditions tho.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:34 am

Doesn’t anybody remember the mid/late 90’s? During gun season, we almost always had -0* temps on opening weekend. I remember walking in -20 weather a couple miles in. Brrrr but it’s what we used to do. :mrgreen:

Cant wait to see what joe comes up with.
Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:48 am

mag1 wrote:Doesn’t anybody remember the mid/late 90’s? During gun season, we almost always had -0* temps on opening weekend. I remember walking in -20 weather a couple miles in. Brrrr but it’s what we used to do. :mrgreen:

A long walk and a long sit is a big difference, so is -20 to -30. Low here last night was air -26 windchill -55. I wouldn't downplay It.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:09 am

It wasn't horrible because I had a ton of clothes and the HBS. The worst part was really my face mask because it kept getting icy, and I had to rotate it on my face and it was hard to breathe through. I've caught a cold now though which I haven't had in almost a year so it must have been hard on my body.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 am

I'm not down playing it, but when dressed right, it is possible to do comfortably. in the 80's, we used to ski in this weather and think nothing of it other than it is dang cold. same thing when hunting. wear the right gear, take the correct precautions, and you can be comfortable as well. and yes, I had -26 on the car temp gauge on my long commute to work this morning as well. just another cold snap in Wis. we used to get these tems every year, -0 temps for a couple of weeks.

carry on

Itchy Bones wrote:
mag1 wrote:Doesn’t anybody remember the mid/late 90’s? During gun season, we almost always had -0* temps on opening weekend. I remember walking in -20 weather a couple miles in. Brrrr but it’s what we used to do. :mrgreen:

A long walk and a long sit is a big difference, so is -20 to -30. Low here last night was air -26 windchill -55. I wouldn't downplay It.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:18 pm

That was a great hunt joe!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:30 pm

mag1 wrote:I'm not down playing it, but when dressed right, it is possible to do comfortably. in the 80's, we used to ski in this weather and think nothing of it other than it is dang cold. same thing when hunting. wear the right gear, take the correct precautions, and you can be comfortable as well. and yes, I had -26 on the car temp gauge on my long commute to work this morning as well. just another cold snap in Wis. we used to get these tems every year, -0 temps for a couple of weeks.

carry on

Itchy Bones wrote:

It was 28 this morning and high of 42 here in SC. Hard frost. Froze my balls off. I love bowhunting but couldn’t pay me to move back north in that cold. Y’all are nuts! Joe you’re beast dude, hope ya stick one.
Arsenictrigger

Unread postby Arsenictrigger » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:51 pm

Hope your out there right now getting that buck joe. Good luck man. And stay warm.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:13 am

Great hunt Joe. I'm enjoying the journey with you. Brings back memories. 1996 did some sits -10 to -15 ambient, wrapped in a couple wool blankets and sitting on the ground. Never realized how cold I was till started moving and that cold blood in my arms and legs got to my core. Major shakes!! My biggest challenge when I was still 'tough' enough to hunt in Sub zero temps was keeping my hands from freezing when you remove you bloody hands from that Incredibly warm body cavity. Those field dressing gloves with a pair of military surplus wool inserts over the top make it much better. Gives a good grip on your tools too. Take off the dirty gloves and put on some clean dry mittens when you're done. All good. Stay safe out there and best of luck. :clap:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:22 am

Unreal seeing that many bucks in a sit. I went out Monday and Tuesday nights, apparently just to watch the sunset and enjoy the nice weather.

Great video
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:03 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Unreal seeing that many bucks in a sit. I went out Monday and Tuesday nights, apparently just to watch the sunset and enjoy the nice weather.

Great video

I remember a few Sub zero sits a mile back, not seeing anything, arrive back to the truck and tracks all around the vehicle. Talk about watching your entry, :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”