Beasts among men

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

Beasts among men

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:18 pm

It's kind of crazy to me that the majority of us on here are "hardcore" hunters as in we hunt a lot and scout a lot more. I see the same guys year after year posting about the scouting miles they put on and the hours in stand. Yet only a select few on here actually put good deer down year after year. Why? A better knowledge? A 6th sense? Better area? I want to know what separates these true beast among us?

Drenalin
500 Club

Re: Beasts among men

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:24 pm

I’d say years of dedication and work, and the experience/knowledge that comes with them.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:31 pm

I see the opposite. A lot of the guys that put in the most work have the most success. I also think you can walk miles and scout your but off but years of experience will always trump inexperience no matter how hard you work.

I put way more time in when I was younger but I was not as efficient and successful as I am now. I'm slower, older n fatter but a way better hunter.

With that being said success is relative. What one may consider a successful season someone with different goals would not.

Jonny's goals are not the same as Dan's.

My goals are not the same as Dewey's, and so on.

A couple of members are making life changing moves and heading out west. I doubt they will have the same goals as when they were back east. Area has alot to do with choice of harvest.

There are many many variables.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Ok....2 play devils advocate I've heard experience. A few beasts that come to mind are on the younger scale. Not arguing....just somthn I've observed
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Be in the right place at the right time. That to me, is what its really about. I also think some hunters try way to hard. Hunt smarter, not harder.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:44 pm

I think for most it’s the time they’ve invested. I’ve said this before, but especially with these tactics it’s like a snowball of knowledge. The more you roll it, cumulatively, the bigger it gets.

If hunter A puts on 50 miles scouting, and guy B puts on 200, in my opinion guy B doesn’t have 4x the knowledge. It’s more like 6 or 7x... if not more. All the little details relate to each other in one way or another. The more you scout, hunt, run cams, observe, etc, the more you can connect the dots.

The guys who are consistently successful know what they’re looking at in the field and know how to react. Experience is the best teacher, and there are no shortcuts. You have to put in your time.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Experience, skills, area, and honestly goals. Either you have the desire or you don’t. But you cant teach experience and skills and some are blessed to hunt better areas. But mature deer live everywhere. Antlers might change.

When it comes down to it, success is in the eye of the beholder. In my eyes, I had my best season to date. To somebody else, I only shot a spike. So it’s really how you look at it.

I think what separates the guys who get it down on mature deer every year, is they have the drive to do whatever it takes to get it done. If that means hunting 6 days a week for 4 months straight, then they do it. Some have the desire, and others don’t. If you want something, you tie your boots tight, step in the ring and go get it. The guys who get it done every year do just that

This year hunting wasn’t the biggest priority for me. I took an insane amount of classes and was looking forward to my future career with applications and interviews. Hunting got pushed back cause of it. Next year might be different, although I might have already used up my vacation days this year so I might not hunt much for whitetails. Just the way it goes.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:49 pm

brkissl82 wrote:Ok....2 play devils advocate I've heard experience. A few beasts that come to mind are on the younger scale. Not arguing....just somthn I've observed

I’ll bet money these young guys have a TON of drive and put their time in. A guy can learn a tremendous amount in a couple years of you scout your but off and eat, sleep, and breathe whitetail hunting.

I can’t think of any “part timers” that are consistently successful on big bucks :think:

Great thread so far.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:52 pm

Hunt where big bucks live. Know what a big buck does, where he lives and how he acts. Remember experiences with big bucks and relate that to other areas.

I remember the one wired to hunt podcast that had joere, Andy and Jesse coots. Jesse said something that stuck with me. He said something along the lines “ big bucks are just an animal, there not smart, we (humans) are smart”. A lot of truth to that, big bucks act different than the rest of the deer, but they are still just an animal and act like most other big bucks.

I think a guy can overthink things sometimes instead of doing what he knows works.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:53 pm

I see a bit of everything from my perch around here.Guys who say they are real world tough bow hunters but truth be told are candy aces hunting out of heated box blinds over a lush food plots on there family farm or repeatedly going on canned or guided hunts pretending they are a special talent hunting in the real world. See guys with great skill struggle due to the area, see guys with high goals go years inbetween kills, see guys snipe deer off from dang near a mile away that don't even no there being shot at and view it as hunting, tens of thousands of deer are killed inside of enclosures each season yet I fail to ever see any pics of bucks with ear tags or high fences in the back ground. Don't really matter is what it is but I personally don't judge talent by selfie pics or assume a guy with a wall full of giants has a clue. If deer hunting wasn't big business and a popularity contest believe u would see 1/2 as many guys in the field.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:25 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Be in the right place at the right time. That to me, is what its really about. I also think some hunters try way to hard. Hunt smarter, not harder.

So are these same guys in the right place at the right time all the time??
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:37 pm

The common theme here seems to be experience, I would add that with that experience comes confidence. The confidence to throw a sit somewhere based on sign youve seen before, on terrain features youve seen before and "know" its going to play out in your favor.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:43 pm

brkissl82 wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Be in the right place at the right time. That to me, is what its really about. I also think some hunters try way to hard. Hunt smarter, not harder.

So are these same guys in the right place at the right time all the time??

Looks like it to me. I don't even know who these "guys" are.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Sometimes I feel like it has to be hard in order to succeed. My wife says i always make it to hard on myslef. Maybe she's on to something
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:26 pm

So many variables go into success that it’s really hard to compare hunters. I never liked to do that because everyone deals with completely different circumstances.

Some guys shoot everything that moves and are regarded as killers and others hold out for a certain size buck and as a result fill way less tags due to greatly reduced opportunities. Neither is wrong or better than the other. All depends what your desire is.

Over the years I have known many who have easily killed great bucks year after year on one particular property. After losing that property every single one of them struggled big time and haven’t killed anything since. A target rich environment can make just about anybody look like a hero. Take that away and most go from hero to zero very quickly.

When I see a guy consistently killing big bucks in areas not known for having large numbers of them I take notice especially if it’s on public land.

The most succesful guys here that have a bunch of bucks on the wall put in the work. That’s the bottom line. I think they will all agree that finding bucks that meet their standards is the hardest part. After that experience comes into play more than anything.

With the amount of knowledge shared here young guys are able to make a giant leap in success very quickly. It all depends how much they apply themselves. Many talk the talk but never walk the walk. Bottom line is most are simply not able or even willing to put in the work required. The successful guys are never afraid of the work and actually enjoy it to the fullest. It’s pretty amazing watching the young guys apply themselves and turn into consistent killers in just a few years. They are a rare breed no doubt but we have a few here.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”