Drenalin 2019 Whitetail Season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Worm82

Re: Drenalin 2019 Whitetail Season

Unread postby Worm82 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:26 am

I killed a 3.5 year old 8pt sat chasing a doe. I think it's just now starting to heat up in our area. I'm in washington co

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:45 am

Drenalin wrote:
backstraps wrote:Drenalin sounds like you had the same experiences as so many of my other local friends. I know several had to change tactics to get in some deer. I think we are right on the turning point of seeing some chasing locally. My cams have been catching a ton of night time chasing from the little guys.

Hope you can get back on the big guy soon!

A buddy of mine saw a couple of young bucks trailing a doe this morning. Any day now...

My daughter and I just got out of the woods. We had two single does come through about 10 minutes apart. Then 35 mins later a young buck nose to the ground, same trail as the does.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:29 am

November 15th - 18th

I took Friday and Monday off work to hunt with the muzzleloader, expecting bucks to be chasing does pretty hard at this point. Not so much...

Friday morning I was set up on the ground in a spot I've had good chasing activity in the past. Saw a couple of does in the morning, no bucks. Later in the afternoon, around 4:00, I had six does come through but no bucks this time either. I had to leave before prime time to keep the kids while my wife went to a wedding rehearsal. All the does I saw today were calm and moving normally, not harassed or worried at all.

Saturday morning was more of the same. Seeing plenty of does, but no bucks. I hunted near a scrape that I saw two bucks working a few weeks ago. One of the does that came in worked that scrape...and yes, doe, not button buck. At that point, I probably would have taken the doe, but there was too much brush for a shot. Had to leave early again, this time for the wedding that ended yesterday early. Think I saw seven does today, no bucks.

Sunday afternoon I headed to another spot that I know holds does. About an hour and half before the end of shooting light, I spotted a couple of does through my binos. Watched them feeding for around 20 minutes, about 80 yards out but too much brush for a shot. One was a mature doe, the other a yearling. A few minutes after I initially spotted them, I caught sight of a third deer. Finally a buck! But he was a toddler, a small forkhorn. He fed around with the does until they finally started to work their way toward me. Well, since they're not acting rutty, I'll just take that mature doe. I got a rest on a tree and when she turned broadside, I let her have it. I saw her white belly before the smoke filled my vision, dropped her in her tracks. The yearling and the buck both continued as if nothing had happened! They were still munching acorns within 30 yards of me when I finally waved them off and went to retrieve my doe. The 295 grain hollow point wrecked her, taking out both lungs and the heart. Great to put some meat in the freezer, but getting frustrated at the lack of bucks. Being on does like I am, I expected better action.

Monday morning I went back to the scrape. Saw a young doe early, and then finally the buck that I spooked while drawing on November 2nd. He came in within 5 minutes of the same time he had that day. Got a much better look at him this time...a good 2.5 year old 8 point. He's also the same buck that was with the really big one I missed on opening day of archery. He's got a couple of broken off tines that make him pretty easy to identify. Anyway, he worked the scrape, then as he turned to come toward me I got settled in behind the muzzleloader. He came down the ridge toward me with saliva hanging from his mouth all the way to the ground. I was debating whether or not to shoot him as he turned broadside less than 10 yards away. I took a breath, let it out, settled the crosshairs, and took my finger off the trigger. Just couldn't do it. He's a good buck for the area at his age, but there's a better one in the area. He worked his way on down the ridge toward a doe bedding area. Didn't see another deer the rest of the morning, and didn't get to hunt in the evening. Since I got in and out pretty clean, and there's a good population of does in here, I'll probably come back as soon as I can. That big one has to make an appearance at some point, hopefully I'll be there when he does. I know I'm overhunting this area, and I'll probably regret it.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:40 am

November 23rd- 24th

Rifle opener here in TN this weekend. Got out early Saturday morning to try and beat the crowds/get ahead of deer that I expected to be pushed around. Had one unidentified deer come in about 15 minutes before legal shooting light. Rain started right at daylight and didn't really let up all day. I spent the whole day in the woods without actually seeing a deer.

Got out again Sunday after church. Nice afternoon with a fairly stiff wind and temperatures dropping throughout the day. Somehow managed to go another hunt without even seeing a deer. Not a great weekend here...

Had a friend who said he was seeing really good activity Sunday and today, and he took a younger buck this morning. I was apparently just in the wrong places this weekend. Should be hunting Wednesday afternoon, Thursday morning, all day Friday and Saturday, and Sunday afternoon. Surely I can get back into deer pretty soon.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:57 am

Drenalin wrote:November 23rd- 24th

Rifle opener here in TN this weekend. Got out early Saturday morning to try and beat the crowds/get ahead of deer that I expected to be pushed around. Had one unidentified deer come in about 15 minutes before legal shooting light. Rain started right at daylight and didn't really let up all day. I spent the whole day in the woods without actually seeing a deer.

Got out again Sunday after church. Nice afternoon with a fairly stiff wind and temperatures dropping throughout the day. Somehow managed to go another hunt without even seeing a deer. Not a great weekend here...

Had a friend who said he was seeing really good activity Sunday and today, and he took a younger buck this morning. I was apparently just in the wrong places this weekend. Should be hunting Wednesday afternoon, Thursday morning, all day Friday and Saturday, and Sunday afternoon. Surely I can get back into deer pretty soon.

From what I am seeing we're in the middle of an odd time Drenalin. I hunt one place thats been locked down for a week. Less than 15 mile from there, does are being harassed by the younger bucks and this coming week should be good. Another on the other side of Jonesborough had a 3.5 y/o run a doe across the road in front of my daughter yesterday at 14:30

So, we're in the phase when we just need to be out any chance we can get, and anything can happen. Best of luck!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:08 am

backstraps wrote:

From what I am seeing we're in the middle of an odd time Drenalin. I hunt one place thats been locked down for a week. Less than 15 mile from there, does are being harassed by the younger bucks and this coming week should be good. Another on the other side of Jonesborough had a 3.5 y/o run a doe across the road in front of my daughter yesterday at 14:30

So, we're in the phase when we just need to be out any chance we can get, and anything can happen. Best of luck!!

Backstraps, I see that same stuff every dang season often without any historical rhyme or reason. But my best educated guess from what I can tell is if u got a lot of younger bucks walking around comfortably chances are the big boys are somewhere else with the ladies who r ready to party.When I see a 2.5 swing out wide down wind of a known rutting area or the upwind side of the valley and keep on truckin I get excited. Also, going off just a lil evidence and a gut feeling. I believe those younger bucks are most of the time afew days early in there destinations . Maybe cause they get pushed out of the ripe doe areas. But I’m very seriously starting to think u can hunt directly behind them and stay in the chips. You see anything similar? My imagination often leads me a stray so take it with a grain of salt lol
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:06 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
backstraps wrote:

Backstraps, I see that same stuff every dang season often without any historical rhyme or reason. But my best educated guess from what I can tell is if u got a lot of younger bucks walking around comfortably chances are the big boys are somewhere else with the ladies who r ready to party.When I see a 2.5 swing out wide down wind of a known rutting area or the upwind side of the valley and keep on truckin I get excited. Also, going off just a lil evidence and a gut feeling. I believe those younger bucks are most of the time afew days early in there destinations . Maybe cause they get pushed out of the ripe doe areas. But I’m very seriously starting to think u can hunt directly behind them and stay in the chips. You see anything similar? My imagination often leads me a stray so take it with a grain of salt lol

I DO see a LOT the similar sightings as you mention. I think the thing that could change matters a little would be actual deer density and the buck to doe ratio for a given area.

Getting back to Drenalin's sightings and non sightings... I just think it is a matter of catching the does patterns from year to year on a particular parcel of land.
Being able to be there when the time is right, and capitalize on when the does "typically" come in and are ready to find a dancing partner can be predictable, and based on year to year sightings of what the deer are doing.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:40 am

Definitely see the same things in a typical year Boogie. The doe I shot a couple of weeks ago was still with a yearling and had a young buck with them. He wasn't harassing the does, just there. His presence, along with that yearling still being around, led me to believe I was at least a few days from seeing any rutting action on that property, so I shot the doe. But in years past, I've been able to loiter around between doe bedding areas and food sources and get great morning action...and then when I saw young bucks chasing does, it usually wasn't long before I would see better/older bucks get involved.

That was when I might sit the same stand or blind for days on end...I've been jumping around a little more this year and last year and haven't been as up-to-date on the action on any given parcel. My strategy has always been to find does and then just stay with them through the rut, which isn't working out this year because I'm not in a given area long enough or often enough to keep tabs on their exact patterns. Even the property that I'm overhunting, the does' patterns are totally different now than what they were a couple of weeks ago. Chalk that up to my hunting pressure, changing food sources, and pre-rut activity I guess.

I think backstraps nailed it in a way for what I'm seeing/not seeing this year. I'm not on a historical pattern on the public places I'm hunting because they're new to me, and the deer are off their historical patterns on the private I'm hunting due to the factors I listed above. I think I read on here not long ago that in the rut, you're either in the action or way out of the action. I'm just way out right now. I've been taking the long way to and from work every day, and especially in the mornings before sunrise, I'm still seeing a lot of bucks running does. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into the action before things settle down. Two days and a wake up till I can get back out there...
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:37 am

November 28th - Morning Hunt

Got out for a quick morning hunt before any of my Thanksgiving obligations. Had three does come in right after daylight, but they weren't where I expected them to be and caught my wind. I did see them again a couple of hours later through binoculars, about 75 yards away from where they had initially busted me. They were headed for a thick drainage along a property line. I've suspected that deer were bedding in there, and I'm pretty certain of it now. No other deer seen, had to be out of the woods by 10:00.

November 29th - Morning Hunt

Hiked a mile and half into an area I scouted back in February. I set up around 100 yards downwind of a doe bedding area. About 8:30 I could hear a heck of a ruckus up in the bedding area, and a few minutes later three does cam busting down the ridge. They had slowed to a walk by the time they got to me. All three crossed perfectly broadside at 60 yards. With all the noise I heard on the ridge and the way they initially fled the bedding area, I thought for sure there would be a buck behind them but no luck on that. If it was a buck that got them up, he must have found another doe up there that was more interesting. I sat for a couple more hours and then got in a little scouting. Not as much sign here now as there was during the off-season, but I didn't trample all over that ridge either since I was planning on hunting this again soon.

November 29th - Evening Hunt

Had a few chores this afternoon and didn't get out till late, so I went to an easy to access spot. Again, hunting near doe bedding about 60 yards to the west. Half an hour before dark, a pile of does came screaming out of it, running south. One doe circled my way and almost ended up in my lap. I didn't see any antlers anywhere and I'm not sure what spooked them out like that. It was exciting for about 60 seconds, then everything settled back down. No more deer seen or heard the rest of the evening.

November 30th - Morning Hunt

Went back to the area I was in yesterday morning, this time in the rain. Wind was different, but I set up down wind of the bedding area and got a lot closer due to the rain covering my noise. It poured the whole time I was there though, and I didn't see a single living animal. Had to get out by lunch for a second Thanksgiving dinner, but I doubt I missed much with the weather being what is was. Last hunt of the weekend, and it appears this rut passed me by without any notable action. Which is surprising and frustrating. I'll be focused on food sources the rest of my season.
Worm82

Unread postby Worm82 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:41 am

Do you or any of the guys around here like backstrap ever hunt the cherokee national forest? I went yesterday 12/6 to a spot on the Washington/unicoi co line in the bear reserve and ended up seeing 5 different bears before I got to where I wanted to scout. I didnt know the bears had gotten that thick. I did find a ton of fresh scrapes and some huge rubs.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:46 am

Yeah, I hunt Cherokee a lot including Kettlefoot which is packed with bears. I generally see 6-10 bears a year on national forest, but never five in a day. I like having them around, but I could do without when I’m deer hunting.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:59 am

I also hunt CNF at the Washington/ Unicoi as well as the Carter /Johnson

The areas in Washington has to have more bears than anywhere around us!! That bear reserve needs a herd reduction in my opinion
Worm82

Unread postby Worm82 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:54 am

Yea I wish they would rotate the bear reserves every couple years. I had to holler hey bear 4 times before the sow and 2 Cubs slowly walked over the ridge. The other 2 bears were about 500 yds apart and ran as soon as they seen me. This first one was a small bear and I actually heard him popping hickory nuts In his teeth before i seen him. The 2nd bear took off before i seen him but it stopped at about 100yds to see what i was and it was a big bear. They are losing their fear of humans, i walked up on a big bear in there a few years ago and i tried everything to get him to run off, hollered, barked like a dog, waved my arms, clapped my hands and it would just glance up at me every now and then. No way I would bow hunt in there and would be worried during muzzleloader and no way I would go in there before daylight. But there is always huge buck sign back in there
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:15 am

I know a couple guys on the edges of Kettlefoot who pretty consistently have bears right up at their houses, raiding gardens, popping their teeth and generally letting on that they have no fear of humans. Rotating open seasons on those reserves would help a lot, and the population seems like it’s in great shape. At least let folks run them with dogs even if harvest isn’t allowed, assuming you could get enough houndsmen to go along with that. I’ve never had any real trouble myself. A couple have followed me through the woods for short distances, and I came up to a tree once that had three cubs in the top. That one got me nervous...I never saw the sow.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:43 am

December 7th - Morning Hunt

Link to Kill Zone post: http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=287&t=53172&p=811331#p811331

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”